• Jamal
    I’ve done that, but I can still see it when logged in. This is either because the way permissions work makes it impossible to have a thread that only guests can see, or else it’s showing me everything because I’m an admin. If you or @Banno can no longer see the Joining thread, it has worked.
  • Michael
    I can’t see it
  • Baden

Nice. :up: I can't see it either btw even as an admin.
  • Leontiskos
    I wanted to offer some observations as a new member who has a lot of familiarity with different forum softwares. Take them for what they are worth. I should begin by saying that I am pleasantly surprised with the forum software and the uniqueness of PlushForums' approach. Here are some feature ideas:

1. There should be the ability to search for all of a single user's posts within a thread. Technically you can do this but for some reason the search never returns any results. (PlushForums bug)

2. This UI feature is unintuitive because it is not symmetrical:

Double-click on the left-hand side of the page to go back. Double-click on the right-hand side to move one page forward.Jamal

If double-clicking on the right-hand side takes me one page forward, then double-clicking on the left-hand side should take me one page back. All browsers have a back button; recreating it is redundant.

3. Posts should only be editable for X minutes.

4. BBCode for the <hr> tag would be useful for this forum (horizontal rule). I often see folks responding to multiple users in a single post and separating each reply with an arbitrary number of dashes or underscores. An <hr> tag is just a horizontal divider, and it would be helpful for formatting posts. Most of the forum software written in the last ten years includes this feature.

5. The BBCode "code" tag should not use code highlighting. All of the text within a code tag should be of the same color.

6. I have seen others suggest that there should be a limit on the number of a user's posts or threads per day. I agree, but often the easier solution is to provide a feature where, "Number of minutes between a user's posts/threads," can be specified. PlushForums might buy into that more easily.

My other suggestions have already been proposed, but do not yet exist:

In "All discussions" it would be really nice to see the category each discussion belongs to (without having to hover over the title).Jamal

(And it would be nice to have an indicator on the thread page as well.)

Distraction-free mode when writing a post. Imagine the preview modal but with editing facility.Jamal

(This is a standard feature nowadays. PlushForums should implement this to keep up with competition.)

Normal paging in "Comments", "Following", etc., instead of the "More comments" functionalityJamal

Likes for posts (but not reputations)Jamal

(Likes should be separable from the reputation system ( ).)

Retain the formatting when quoting highlighted textJamal
  • Srap Tasmaner
    1. There should be the ability to search for all of a single user's posts within a thread. Technically you can do this but for some reason the search never returns any results.Leontiskos

Search for "." or something. I agree it would be nice if you could just leave that box empty, but this works like a charm.
  • Leontiskos

Okay, thanks, I will do that. I had tried searching for a space, which didn't work. That's all the farther I got with hacky workarounds. :grin:
  • javi2541997
    3. Posts should only be editable for X minutes.Leontiskos

This would be unfair.
  • Leontiskos

Unfair in what sense?

That was a minor suggestion, though. I realize the forum already fought just to get the ability to edit, so tinkering with that ability is probably not a high priority.
  • javi2541997
    Don't you feel anxiety when you have limited time to do whatever or take any decision?
  • T Clark
    That was a minor suggestion, though. I realize the forum already fought just to get the ability to edit, so tinkering with that ability is probably not a high priority.Leontiskos

Every so often I like to go through some of my old posts and correct the grammar. I also removed all of my statements from 2015 and 2016 where I said Donald Trump would be the best president ever.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    I also removed all of my statements from 2015 and 2016 where I said Donald Trump would be the best president ever.T Clark

But not before I archived them.

I accept PayPal and Venmo
  • Srap Tasmaner

Archived that one too, so feel free to edit it.
  • Leontiskos
    I guess I'll just visit Srap if I need a more accurate record. :lol:
  • javi2541997
    Hello mates,

I have a query. Do your posts go to the "drafts" even after posting them? I mean, when I post a comment in a discussion, it is also being kept in the drafts. I answered to Tom Storm in a discussion and curiously such reply went to the draft too. Like if I never posted it when I actually did. :chin:

What I am trying to explain is that there are two comments: the "original" that is kept in the draft and the copy that is posted.

Or maybe it is just my cellphone that is acting weirdly...
  • Jamal
    Do your posts go to the "drafts" even after posting them?javi2541997

They shouldn't.

I mean, when I post a comment in a discussion, it is also being kept in the drafts. I answered to Tom Storm in a discussion and curiously such reply went to the draft too. Like if I never posted it when I actually did.javi2541997

In the first sentence here, you imply that this has happened a lot. Is this true, or did it just happen in the one instance you then describe?

Sounds like a glitch, to do with an intermittent and interrupted connection.
  • javi2541997

It happens to me more than one time. What I have discovered is that this only happens when I write long posts. If the reply is short, it doesn't appear in the drafts again.

On the other hand, I think you are right, and it is a glitch. But on my phone, because when I use TPF on a PC, nothing happens at all.
  • Banno
    Something seems to have gone amiss with the post window. It neither grows nor scrolls, making it clumsy to navigate editing a post of more than a few lines.

Just my browser?
  • Jamal
    Just my browser?Banno

Possibly. It’s working normally for me.
  • Paine
    It is interesting that my remark was removed without comment.

So, it is like that.
  • Jamal
    This is a thread for feature requests. If you want to ask or complain about moderator actions, start another thread in the Feedback category or send a private message to a member of staff.
  • jorndoe
    Tags inside link text terminate the link:

[url=https://thephilosophyforum.com/]a link with [i]formatted[/i] text like so[/url]

a link with formatted text like so

Room for improvement. :)
  • Lionino
    Having links to replies to posts would be nice, kinda like this at the end of the post:
    q78bNBZ.png

Also, for some reason undo control Z does not work here sometimes.
  • ssu
    As the bannings thread closed again, I'll continue here.

It's true that when there's couple of hot political topics that bring up emotions (George Floyd protests, US police violence, Israel-Hamas war, perhaps also the war in Ukraine), they indeed can overwhelm the front page and some actually interesting philosophical debate can easily drop down to the second page. And let's be frank: who goes to check discussion on the second or third page?

Now there is on the left side all the various forums, but it's difficult to know just where a certain interesting thread is, especially if it could be "general" or more specific philosophy.

So here's my suggestion:

In the frontpage (or at least in my view on the frontpage) there is above the threads (ALL DISCUSSIONS) continuing with the shoutbox, guidelines etc.

Could you have there next to it INTERESTING PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSIONS or something like that and the mods/administrator could pick the more philosophical or philosophically interesting threads. People could click this and see an interesting assortment of what the mods have deemed good threads.

This because, as we know, there aren't a huge amount of participants in this forum, the All Discussion, is good to show just what and who has written something on any thread. Yet just with one simple click, you would a serene philosophical thread screen without the bickering and ranting of current topics (politics, environment, elections, wars...) Hence a Philosophy thread without a Trump / Ukraine crisis thread etc.

That's my 5 cents.
  • Leontiskos
    The threads tend to create bad feeling, accentuate our closely held personal differences, do nothing to cause reconsideration of our views, and generally piss each other off. I can find animosity all around me. I don't need to come here for that.Hanover

Yep.

By my estimation we're a group of people who either aren't doing philosophy or don't wish to be doing it.fdrake

I have a script that replaces the words "Israel", "Palestine", and "Hamas" with random words. Makes it easy.Michael

I've always thought it would be good to restrict users to one post every 10 minutes. Provide an occasion for thought.
  • Wayfarer
    That is something that has been mentioned before, but I don’t know if this particular hosting platform provides the feature.
  • fdrake

I don't see it in mod/admin settings. Unless it's something Jamal has access to as the owner I don't think we have it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.