• Jamal
    I didn't say I have problems with notifications in general. I referred only to private messages.Alkis Piskas

Yes, I understand.

I have asked javi2541997 about the same thing today and he told me, I quote, "TPF didn't notify me about your reply either."Alkis Piskas

So that’s at least two people. I guess I’ll need to have a look!
  • javi2541997

As Alkis expressed, it seems that TPF does not notify when someone replies to a private message in the email notifications. The other notifications work good and I do not have problems in overall. :up:
  • Alkis Piskas
    I guess I’ll need to have a look!Jamal
    Yes, please do. Thanks. :up:
  • Alkis Piskas
    I guess I’ll need to have a look!Jamal
    Any luck?
    On a second thought, the consequences of this problem are worse than what I thought: it results in a bad communication related to lack or response.
    In fact, in all social media and the communities, people are notified for personal messages, together with mentions and other kind of notifications one selects in his profile. Thus one can reply in a relatively short time, since checking one's mail is a standard and frequent action for people involved in such online activites.
  • javi2541997
    Adhering me to @Alkis Piskas’s inquiry.

It seems that when someone writes you a private message, it doesn't pop up in e-mail notifications. I do not want to sound tiresome, but please whenever you (I guess @Jamal can fix this) have free time or are not busy, could you check this out and see why it happens?
  • Jamal

Can you folks please confirm the following:

1. You do not receive email notifications for private messages, but you do receive them for other things (mentions etc.)

2. You have checked the box in your preferences for "Email when I receive private messages"

Thanks
  • Alkis Piskas

1. Yes

2. Yes. I have already checked the box "Email when I receive personal messages" since a long time ago. I just verified it: all 4 boxes were checked.
  • javi2541997
    1. You do not receive email notifications for private messages, but you do receive them for other things (mentions etc.)Jamal

Exactly. I receive the notification in mentions, when it pops up a number 1 at "inbox", but it doesn't notify me on my email.

2. You have checked the box in your preferences for "Email when I receive private messages"Jamal

Yes and I clicked accepting the preference of accepting notifications via email.
  • Jamal

Thanks.

To be extra certain I've sent you both PMs. Check your email inboxes. Then we can progress to the next step if necessary.
  • Alkis Piskas

I received a notification about the personal message you sent me. But I didn't receive one for @javi2541997, posted about the same time.
    It seems that these notifications work only with you! :brow:
  • Jamal
    This is all very puzzling.
  • Alkis Piskas
    This is all very puzzling.Jamal
    Well, it must be for you, who knows the system. For me it's only frustrating! :grin:
  • Jamal
    I should point out that TPF runs on a hosted SaaS (software as a service) platform called PlushForums, which I signed up to when I started the site, so I don't have access to the code and I can't fix any bugs. What I'm doing right now is determining what I need to put in an email to PlushForums support, if indeed there is something wrong.
  • Alkis Piskas

I see. OK.
    if indeed there is something wrong.Jamal
    There is indeed something wrong. At least in my case. Have you checked or do you know if this is also the case with other members?

It looks like the issue has to do with administrator "privileges" ...
  • javi2541997
    What I'm doing right now is determining what I need to put in an email to PlushForums support, if indeed there is something wrong.Jamal

Thank you for your effort of fixing this bug. I am sure that the problem will be solved soon. :up:
  • Jamal
    So far it's just you two I know about. I might start a thread to ask everyone.
  • Jamal
    Thank you for your effort of fixing this bug. I am sure that the problem will be solved soon.javi2541997

Your optimism is like wind beneath my administrative wings.
  • Alkis Piskas

You are welcome.

BTW, I preferred the red color for links of members, URLs, etc. It --and any dark color-- stands out much better. (Well, ... obviously! :smile:)
  • Jamal
    I guess I could make the links a bit darker.
  • Alkis Piskas

I think this is a good idea. :up:
  • Jamal
    Tried it. It was too close to black so it just blended in with the other text.
  • Alkis Piskas

Why don't you leave it in red? It was just fine. Anyway, it's not important.
  • Banno
    @Jamal, you've now got five threads fixed at the top of the main page. That's a lot of screen space. Perhaps it would be worth consolidating the Joining, Guidelines and Subscribe threads into one - an "About Us" thread or some such.
  • Jamal
    I have long agonized over that issue, and you are to be commended for your suggestion, but I don't think those threads should be amalgamated. I often want to link to them separately, I want prospective members to quickly see how to join, members to get to the guidelines directly (and it's good conventional practice to have the guidelines in the form of a pinned thread), and to display the Subscribe thread prominently.

The Chomsky thread is only there temporarily, so it'll be down to four in a short while. If I were to move one of the other four it would probably be the "Joining" thread; maybe it could go under "Help". But I think that might reduce its visibility too much.
  • Baden

Maybe a "Join and subscribe" amalgamation? E. g. "Joining/subscribing to TPF". Both are fairly short reads as stands and quite related.
  • Jamal
    That’s a pretty good idea. If we’re going to do anything about this, that’s probably what we should do.
  • Michael
    Or you could make it so that the Join discussion doesn't show if we're logged in, i.e. assigned to a category that only Guests can view?
  • Jamal
    That’s even better than Baden’s idea. I should be able to achieve that by putting it in a new category with custom view permissions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.