• S
    I happen to be an expert on both aluminum and clarifying shampoo.frank

How can you be an expert on something you can't even spell properly?
  • frank
    On paper, the prognosis is good.karl stone

Without a global coalition to do it? Are you thinking that China will do it unilaterally? I mean, notice how vehemently Euros hate Americans and it's the same culture. How could a global coalition come into being?
  • frank
    How can you be an expert on something you can't even spell properly?S

You need more aluminum foil. On your head.
  • S
    I mean, notice how vehemently Euros hate Americans and it's the same culture.frank

Maybe we would hate you a little less if you put a little more effort into saying "aluminium".
  • frank
    Too many syllables.
  • S
    You need more aluminum foil. On your head.frank

Have you seen the size of my head? You'd need to hire a crane.
  • frank
    Just get a garbage can and make a helmet out of it.
  • S
    Just get a garbage can and make a helmut out of it.frank

First of all, I should probably empty it of all of Sir2u's awful comebacks.
  • karl stone
    On paper, the prognosis is good.
    — karl stone

Without a global coalition to do it? Are you thinking that China will do it unilaterally? I mean, notice how vehemently Euros hate Americans and it's the same culture. How could a global coalition come into being?
    frank

I do not suggest a globalist approach. I suggest regionalism. Regional trade blocs are emerging all across the world, EU, AU, ASEAN, and so on. These do not suffer, to the same extent global government would suffer, from the problem of perceived legitimacy. Regional government has a natural interest in promoting internal markets - which promote human welfare, in turn necessary to slow the growth of human population. Further, because nations tend to trade most with their immediate and close neighbours - the cost of regulations applied across a region like the EU, with 28 countries, are mitigated, because a cost that applies equally to direct economic competitors is not a competitive disadvantage. So regional government can afford to have higher regulatory standards, and the market is too large to be threatened by big companies wanting a race to the bottom for profit.
  • Bitter Crank
    leveling off at around 11 billion people by 2100karl stone

Don't worry, there won't be 11 billion people by 2100.
  • Benkei
    It's true but a website definition and not the statutory definition. It now seems to match the statutory definition used in the Violence Against Women Act. That Act expired during the government shutdown but appears to have been extended again until 15 February. Whether there's a policy change related to the change in definition isn't clear. Reason to pay attention for now.
  • Arkady
    Trump has apparently thrown another Twitter hissy fit in response to an SNL impression by Alec Baldwin, asking how media outlets get away with such mockery, and implying that there should be "retribution." Other than perhaps Richard Nixon, has there in recent memory been a POTUS with such clearly anti-democratic tendencies?

It's bad enough that Trump praises dictators (or quasi-dictators) such as Putin, Erdogan, Kim Jong Un, and Duterte, but he himself has already floated the idea of using FCC powers to revoke the broadcast licenses of media outlets which displease him, even, apparently, when this displeasure results from the time-honored tradition of an SNL impersonation, the rite of passage for each and every POTUS over the past 30 years or so. He has also invoked yet again his labeling of the press as "the enemy of the people," a page from the dictator textbook. What a thin-skinned, cruel, vain man-child.
  • SophistiCat
    "I don't care. I believe Putin."

That's what President Trump is alleged to have said in a discussion with U.S. intelligence regarding information he was given about North Korean intercontinental missiles and whether they could reach the United States.
    CBS
  • Maw
    It's Bernie bitch, 2020 let's fucking go
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.