• ff0
    Being designed, in a loose sense, means that you were created for some purpose, or at the very least you are not an accident. Most theology would tell you that purpose is to worship/serve god.ProbablyTrue

This is fascinating. Perhaps thinkers who deny or ignore god are worshipping and serving god as they understand god. Perhaps 'god' is a word for what is highest in human experience.

Let's say one think one is just here accidentally. Even in this situation he or she can (and does?) reach toward what is high and good. The complications arise (in my view) because people can associate opposed concepts with the highest. For some the worship of god has involved hurting strangers. For the others the saving of strangers. For still others a movement away from the social into solitary ecstasies. In short, 'to serve/worship god' can be interpreted as a description of the god-chasing human. To be clear, this 'god-chasing' may include the attempt to articulate a perfect atheism, etc. 'God' is just the 'eerie' or specifically human object of desire, wrapped in thousands of different concepts (the hair on the core), some not yet invented.
  • ProbablyTrue
    This is fascinating. Perhaps thinkers who deny or ignore god are worshipping and serving god as they understand god. Perhaps 'god' is a word for what is highest in human experience.ff0

This brand of teleology is not uncommon in my experience. I have listened to sermons where it is explained that the central drive of people is worship; all things that humans pursue are in essence an act of worship. If this worship is not of god, it is a perversion of our built-in nature. This claim has the same quality to it as saying all things are hedonistic in that it is unfalsifiable.
  • ff0
    This brand of teleology is not uncommon in my experience. I have listened to sermons where it is explained that the central drive of people is worship; all things that humans pursue are in essence an act of worship. If this worship is not of god, it is a perversion of our built-in nature. This claim has the same quality to it as saying all things are hedonistic in that it is unfalsifiable.ProbablyTrue

You're right that it smells unfalsifiable. But I'm really more interested in describing. I look around and talk to people and they all hold something 'sacred' in a peculiar sense. They put energy into goals that are 'merely' symbolic. A 'failed' painter whom no one pays might obsess over a canvas that he knows no one will ever see. He chases something there. A writer for the right word searches. Participants on philosophy forums have a directedness, a momentum.The political person has a notion of the way things should be. I suppose I was using 'god' as a word for the common core of this less animal object of interest.

The desire to worship reminds me of the desire to love. One might say that the desire to worship is the desire to be in love, the desire to find something in the world so true and beautiful that cognitive dissonance is obliterated. The dizzy compass needle is glad for the strong magnetic field. No doubt there is danger here, too.
  • Akanthinos
    It would be like arguing over the differences between H2O and water. Which word do you prefer? The more "scientific" or the more colloquial? Is there something to argue about?Rich

Can you learn the same thing from understanding why water is represented physically as H2O as you can by learning that linguistically it is called water? No. "H" stands for something else and something more in H2O than "wa-" stands for in 'water'. That is because the first one is a model, and not a name, while the second is a name and not a model.
  • Rich
    I was speaking him holistically, since taking things appear always creates something new. In this regard, God and Natural Evolution are equivalent in that they are both used by their adherents as an appeal to some supernatural force guiding the universe, while the individual letters making up each if these words are not.
  • Akanthinos
    I was speaking him holistically, since taking things appear always creates something new. In this regard, God and Natural Evolution are equivalent in that they are both used by their adherents as an appeal to some supernatural force guiding the universe, while the individual letters making up each if these words are not.Rich

I do not understand what you mean. Could you rephrase?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.