• T Clark
    So how does evolution and the passing on of the genes fit into the picture? Why not just be and then be stamped out of existence? Why bother passing on the genetic code?MikeL

Passing on the genetic code is just something that tends to happen while you're living.
  • MikeL
    Passing on the genetic code is just something that tends to happen while you're living.T Clark

So why do animals get the urge to do it so badly? It seems like a lot of work and effort has gone into the process. But for no reason? Not even a scientific one?
  • T Clark
    So why do animals get the urge to do it so badly? It seems like a lot of work and effort has gone into the process. But for no reason? Not even a scientific one?MikeL

They, and we, do it because we're built that way, whether we're built by God or Darwin.
  • MikeL
    Why are we built that way? I understand why animals have eyes and legs and stuff, but reproduction seems a bit silly, don't you think? A bit wasteful of resources we could have spent elsewhere?
  • T Clark
    Why are we built that way? I understand why animals have eyes and legs and stuff, but reproduction seems a bit silly, don't you think? A bit wasteful of resources we could have spent elsewhere?MikeL

From an evolutionary point of view, sex mixes up the genes, increases genetic variability. Variability is the fuel of evolution. Being able to evolve better has evolutionary benefit.
  • MikeL
    But what's the point of evolution, evolutionary speaking of course.
  • MikeL
    What's the evolutionary benefit?
  • BlueBanana
    Life is not here to survive. If it were, it would have evolved into a very simple organism which could very strongly withstand the pressures of time, it would not have evolved into complex, sophisticated, and extremely delicate organisms, if it only wanted to survive..Metaphysician Undercover

Life doesn't want to survive; each individual being does. If there's an empty ecological niche, then it's the fittest form due to the lack of competition. What I imagine when I think of the organism you described, is a simple plant of some sort duch as moss or algae. But these are also very defenseless if a more complex predator appears.
  • T Clark
    But what's the point of evolution, evolutionary speaking of course.MikeL

No point. Like I said, living things live. Evolution is just something that happens along the way. No purpose, not direction, no meaning. What's the point of the wind, or neutrinos, or chicken marsala? Ok, marsala chicken has a point.
  • MikeL
    But a very tough seedlike organism, without a need to evolve into anything else could hunker down in the soil and just count to a billion.
  • T Clark
    What's the evolutionary benefit?MikeL

A population of organisms that has greater genetic diversity is more able to change genetically in response to environmental changes better.
  • MikeL
    I look forward to talking more tomorrow T Clark, but before I go, if it's just living, why bother with all the meiosis and sex organs and gestation and child raring. Why not just be, and then be gone from existence? Its an awful lot of fuss over nothing.
  • MikeL
    is more able to change genetically in response to environmental changes better.T Clark

But why bother?
  • T Clark
    I look forward to talking more tomorrow T Clark, but before I go, if it's just living, why bother with all the meiosis and sex organs and gestation and child raring. Why not just be, and then be gone from existence? Its an awful lot of fuss over nothing.MikeL

It's just the way we're built, whoever or whatever built us.
  • MikeL
    You're not invoking a sentience I hope T Clark. Talk to you later.
17891011Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.