• Jamal
    I'm responding just to say that Philip K. Dick is not depressing to me. On the contrary, I find his writing delightful and stimulating, the opposite of depressing. Especially Ubik. It's a blast. I expect many of his other novels, most of which I haven't read, to be similarly anti-depressive.

Edit: what is depressing about PKD? I don't get it.
  • Noble Dust
    @Jamal

To me some are, some aren't. Ubik is fun, yes, but Now Wait For Last Year which I just read was pretty depressing. Addiction is a huge theme and the main character and his wife absolutely hate each other. So it depends on the novel.
  • Jamal
    Here’s where I’m coming from. So-called depressing stories and novels, though they might be about the pointlessness of existence and the stupidity of humankind and so on, can be so well-written, so full of energy and ideas, that they stimulate you more than depress you.
  • Noble Dust

I get that, and agree for some. One recurring theme is a female character that's always cronically physically ill and fatalistic in attitude; it happens in Now Wait and The Divine Invasion, and some others I believe that I can't remember. Those characters tend to depress me, although The Divine Invasion has probably one of his more hopeful endings, weirdly.
  • Jamal
    Yeah, I haven’t read as much PKD as you. Maybe I’ll change my mind. Sounds interesting.
  • T Clark
    what is depressing about PKD? I don't get it.Jamal

This is a conversation we're supposed to have once
    Reveal
    Noble Dust
    gets off his ass and finishes "Ubik."

Be that as it may, I don't have a lot of experience with Dick and I hadn't read any in a long time. My memory was that his books were full of unappealing people I don't care about doing uninteresting things in a bleak world. Reading "Ubik" reinforced that prejudice. The ideas examined didn't strike me as particularly insightful or interesting, although I recognize that the kind of writing he pioneered has become much more common. In a sense I guess he invented dystopian fiction, but that's not something I am drawn to.
  • Jamal
    In a sense I guess he invented dystopian fictionT Clark

Dystopian fiction goes back to the nineteenth century and there are several famous examples from the early twentieth century, so I don’t think so.

Otherwise, thank you for attempting to explain your tastes, not an easy thing to do.
  • T Clark
    Dystopian fiction goes back to the nineteenth century and there are several famous examples from the early twentieth century, so I don’t think so.Jamal

Sure, but it seems like now is the golden age of dystopian/apocalyptic books and movies, if "golden" is the right word. There is a sense of doom that permeates popular culture, and I guess society at large. Seems like Dick was in the vanguard. "Blade Runner" is probably the quintessential instance of the genre.
  • Jamal
    Seems like Dick was in the vanguardT Clark

From a certain perspective, maybe he was, since he was influential in the New Wave SF of the sixties, when authors were reacting against the Utopianism of Golden Age SF. But since the nineties, I get the impression there’s been a lot of more or less utopian space opera. I don’t really read that stuff though (Banks, Reynolds, Hamilton, Vinge, etc.)
  • T Clark
    Seems like Dick was in the vanguard
    — T Clark

From a certain perspective, maybe he was,
    Jamal

As I said, I'm not a fan of Dick, but many people seem to think highly of his writing. I was thinking of "Foundation" and how I loved it when I was a kid, but when I reread it recently found it to be poorly written and boring. I can still feel the impact Asimov's ideas had on me, but I don't think I would enjoy it if I read it for the first time now. I guess I was trying to grant Dick that same benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of "Foundation," it's amazing to me the first story was written in 1942.
  • magictriangle
    Eve of Chaos by Sylvia Day. Bought it at Dollar General. It's sexy and about hunting demons. I bought it like last year sometime and now it's time to start reading what I bought. This is going to to be a little more like I want my life to be like. Current goal: to read a little more.
  • T Clark
    Eve of Chaos by Sylvia Day. Bought it at Dollar General. It's sexy and about hunting demons. I bought it like last year sometime and now it's time to start reading what I bought. This is going to to be a little more like I want my life to be like. Current goal: to read a little more.magictriangle

Once we get to know you better, we'll playfully tease you about getting your books at Dollar General, but for now, welcome to the forum.
  • praxis
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Think I’ve found a new favorite author to binge on.
  • javi2541997
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.praxis

A masterpiece! you will love it.
  • Tom Storm
    What do you consider to be the best 2 Murakami books?
  • javi2541997
    What do you consider to be the best 2 Murakami books?Tom Storm

A difficult question to answer because my selection is personal and maybe some would disagree with me. I have read 14 books by Murakami and I consider as the best:

Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball 1973 (in the Spanish edition these come together in the same book). They are the first novels written by him. Fantastic, full of imagination. Concise and elegant.

Novelist as vocation. Murakami writes essays often. This one is an important book to understand him better. Nevertheless, what I learned afterwards is that the key to success and life is humility.
  • Manuel
    The Secret History by Donna Tart

Second (and final, for a while) reading The True Intellectual System of the Universe by Ralph Cudworth
  • Banno
    Has anyone looked at The metaphysics within physics, Tim Maudlin's collected essays?
  • Manuel

I have skimmed the essays a bit and have read one essay of his not directly related to physics per se, but related to the topic of "realism".

My own view is that his output tends to be more helpful to the moderately advanced student than to a lay educated audience. However, ymmv.
  • javi2541997
    God's Pauper: Saint Francis of Assisi, Nikos Kazantzakis.

Letters to the Time/Space of Fond Memories, Kenzaburo Oe.
  • Pantagruel
    The Trumpet-Major
    by Thomas Hardy
  • Noble Dust
    I picked up Oracle Night by Paul Auster at a little free library (I’ve been having good luck with them recently). What say you, @Jamal?
  • praxis

I think you're allowed to think for yourself that it's good.
  • Noble Dust

I haven't started it yet. I haven't read Auster; Jamal and I have discussed him, I believe he's a fan, if I remember correctly.
  • praxis

According to the records, as of three years ago, Jamal has read Mr Vertigo, Leviathan, Moon Palace, and a couple of others. If he's read that many it should be clear that he thinks Auster is good, and Oracle Night is good by Austerian standards, so I can say with a high degree of confidence that you're allowed to think Oracle Night is good.

Incidentally, something I wrote on the forum after reading the book...

Reveal
    I finished reading Oracle Night yesterday, a story essentially about how one random event can drastically change a life. The main character in the story is a writer, and in the story he writes a story, so it becomes a story within a story for a portion of the story. I mention this because of a couple of remarkable coincidences between Oracle Night and the D&D gameplay here. In Oracle Night, there’s a somewhat mysterious old asian guy with poor English who at one point gives Sid, the writer, a single karate chop that incapacitates him during an altercation. The same thing happens in the D&D gameplay, and it happens before I read it in the book. I might simply chalk this up to common cultural stereotypes but, as the title suggests, a prophetic quality is embedded within the Oracle Night story.

I have two theories to account for the coincidences. The first theory, which echos the theory in Oracle Night, is that when someone writes a story they can become a kind of conduit or oracle, if you will, unconsciously piecing together disparate bits of experience to formulate a prediction that is ordinary thought to be merely a fictional story. This seems plausible because the mind is largely nothing more than a prediction machine, some believe. Oracle Night is the fourth Auster book that I’ve read in a row and so my Auster intuition may have developed to the point of having prophetic power.

The other theory is that when someone writes a story they can become a different sort of conduit. They can, for example, become a conduit of life or death in the case of Schrödinger's cat, collapsing the wave function and determining its fate. It could be that this D&D gameplay shifted all of us to an alternate universe where Oracle Night features an old asian guy similar to Master Zeo. Because this theory could be true, I suggest excluding non-deterministic spacetime anomalies from any further gameplay. With the virus/economy things are bad enough as it is.
  • Noble Dust
    I can say with a high degree of confidence that you're allowed to think Oracle Night is good.praxis

Thank you. With your permission I now feel empowered to think for myself. It's a new day in this noble, dusty corner of the universe.
  • praxis

You misunderstand, I was merely predicting Jamal's sanction.
  • Jamal
    What say you, Jamal?Noble Dust

I refer you to the post above from , because I don’t remember that one very well, though I think I did read it. I have a feeling it’s a less substantial work than the other Austers I’ve read, all of which I remember more.

According to the records, as of three years ago, Jamal has read Mr Vertigo, Leviathan, Moon Palace, and a couple of otherspraxis

I think this is my list, in order of reading:

The New York Trilogy
    Moon Palace
    Leviathan
    The Book of Illusions
    Oracle Night
    Mr Vertigo

Except for Mr Vertigo, which I read about 8 or 9 or 6 years ago, I read the others probably between 25 and 19 years ago. They’re all memorable except Oracle Night, which I seem to recall thinking was just doing things he’d done better in the others, but which I also seem to recall quite enjoying. Or maybe it was that one that made me bored with Auster. Or maybe I never read it at all.

I’d be interested to (re)read it.
  • Jamal
    The Histories by Herodotus.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.