• Merkwurdichliebe
    Given that Biden's team, after discovering them, notified the Government and returned them willingly, there's not much of a comparison. Like with the case of Hillary's email server, all he's really guilty of is carelessness.Michael

If only carelessness was a reasonable defense for a criminal act...criminals would be nearly nonexistent.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    yup, it's as cut and dry as anything...they both committed the same crime of illegally possessing classified documents while not actively serving as president...all despite the circumstances before or afterwards.

If the same crime was committed by anyone on this thread, they'd be in a cell right now. The double standard of these anti-Trumpsters is pathetic. I say we lock both of them up.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    i stand corrected, i suppose stupidity is an excuse in this case.
  • javi2541997
    If the same crime was committed by anyone on this thread, they'd be in a cell right now.Merkwurdichliebe

Well, that what happens when you are a normal/ordinary citizen. We don't have the same amount of power of politicians to have control over the courts and judges. It occurs there in America and here in Europe. It is not about Trump vs Biden. Do not be that blind of fighting due to politicians. It is obvious that the politicians will use their power to be "unstoppable" while we are here discussing for whatever, while they do not care.
  • Mikie
    yup, it's as cut and dry as anythingMerkwurdichliebe

No, it isn’t.

What’s pathetic is this flabby, tired “both sides” argument and false equivalence from those — like you — who want to pretend to be “fair and balanced” but are in fact ignoring what’s clear as day.

Biden can go to prison. Fine. I hope so. But what he did isn’t close to what Trump did. If one can’t see that, one needs to examine their lives. Maybe too much time online.
  • NOS4A2
    Looks like the FBI found more classified documents, even after we are told Biden and his team have been forthcoming and returned everything willingly and voluntarily. Some of them were from his time as Senator, which began back in the mid-70’s. I guess it’s a good thing law enforcement got involved because apparently Biden’s team did a piss-poor job.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/justice-department-finds-more-classified-documents-at-joe-bidens-home
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    yup, it's as cut and dry as anything
    — Merkwurdichliebe

No, it isn’t. [...]
    ignoring what’s clear as day.
    Mikie

Yes it's clear as day that its cut and dry. Don't be so pissy
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    But what he did isn’t close to what Trump did.Mikie

What exactly did Trump do?
  • jgill
    What exactly did Trump do?Merkwurdichliebe

Let's see, he didn't allow the Taliban to take over Afghanistan, he attempted to keep illegal aliens from entering the US, he attempted to get European nations to pay their fair share of NATO, he attempted to make peace with several tyrants (that's not all bad), and so on.

Until this documents fiasco shows some serious breaches of national security, it's over-hyped.

And, no, I would not vote for Trump if he runs again, but not everything he did was horrible.
  • Wayfarer
    The Trump and Biden classified documents cases are very different.

Trump took documents as trophies of his time in office. Even when asked to return them, he dissimulated and obfuscated. He had his lawyers sign a statement that they had all been returned, when they hadn’t been. He stored the documents with others including magazines and personal correspondence, in non-secure rooms in close proximity to many casual visitors. He boasted even after the FBI raid that the documents were his personal property and besides he could de-classify them just by thinking about it.

The documents in Biden's possession with stored with other archival material from his time in office as Senator and Vice President. His own lawyers made the discovery, disclosed it as soon as it was made, and then continued an archive search to ensure the process was completed, turning up some more documents. It was clearly a case of adminstrative oversight, and I'm sure if there is a penalty for it, Biden will own up to it.

Sure, it's a 'people in glass houses' kind of thing, but the differences ought to be obvious.

As for Trump 'making peace with tyrants', who can forget the scene at the Helsinki summit when Trump stood on stage with Vladiimir Putin and said he valued his word over that of his own intelligence service. Or that he and Kim Jong Un were in love. Dictators and demagogues were the only people Trump ever professed public admiration for, because they were role models - they were who he wanted to be, but he had neither the guts nor cunning to pull it off, though not through want of trying. Something all Americans ought to be grateful for.
  • Mikie
    What exactly did Trump do?Merkwurdichliebe

Made America Great Again.
  • jorndoe
    Yes it's clear as day that its cut and dry. Don't be so pissyMerkwurdichliebe

It's clear with tunnel vision, otherwise not so much.
  • fdrake
    @Xanatos - find some way to talk about that without posting that link, or any other links like it.
  • javi2541997
    find some way to talk about that without posting that link, or any other links like it.fdrake

Thanks for removing the link. I had a trembling in my soul when I opened it.
    (I totally regret my curiosity or gossip)
  • Xanatos
    Thanks; will learn from my mistake in the future!
  • Xanatos
    Yeah, posting it might not have been the smartest move on my own part.

I do wonder if that child bikini photo really did come from Hunter Biden's laptop, though. And if not, I wonder where exactly it did come from./
  • Xanatos
    :)

Do you believe that this photo really did come from Hunter Biden's laptop, though? I mean the child bikini photo.
  • javi2541997
    it wasn't your fault but the internet! I mean, sometimes can be a very spooky and dark place... the photo was weird as hell and if it's real and not fake is even scarier.
  • fdrake

I don't want to talk about it. My planet needs me.
  • Xanatos
    Strange that Twitter won't remove this Tweet even after I complained at least twice about it to them. :(

Do you think that this photo really did come from Hunter Biden's laptop?
  • javi2541997
    Do you think that this photo really did come from Hunter Biden's laptop?Xanatos

I wish not... just for the fact of preserving a basic moral sense among people.
  • Xanatos
    I hope so as well. If it's not from Hunter Biden's laptop, though, then I wonder where exactly that photo came from. Is there something that the authorities need to be alerted about? I sure as Hell hope not!
  • Benkei
    There was a reddit that claimed the photo was already in use around the pizzagate story.
  • javi2541997
    There was a reddit that claimed the photo was already in use around the pizzagate story.Benkei

Whenever I read about these "conspiracy theories," I only think that people have a lot of free time and are spending it in those fantasies instead of reading books...
  • Wayfarer
    The Debt Ceiling Debate Is About More Than Debt

WASHINGTON — Speaker Kevin McCarthy of California has repeatedly said that he and his fellow House Republicans are refusing to raise the nation’s borrowing limit, and risking economic catastrophe, to force a reckoning on America’s $31 trillion national debt.

“Without exaggeration, America’s debt is a ticking time bomb that will detonate unless we take serious, responsible action,” he said this week.

But the bill Mr. McCarthy introduced on Wednesday would only modestly change the nation’s debt trajectory. It also carries a second big objective that has little to do with debt: undercutting President Biden’s climate and clean energy agenda and increasing American production of fossil fuels.

The debate is nothing more than shameless extortionism by a Republican Party that has been unable to acheive its goals by legitimate electoral means. They're essentially holding the American and world economy hostage against a threat of collapsing the international economic order by refusing to endorse increasing the debt limit to meet obligations that the US Government has already incurred. It is in no way a good-faith negotiating tactic, but the exploitation of a quirk in the US system of governance to bludgeon the Administration into accepting Republican political ends. Biden is right to refuse to negotiate, on the same grounds as non negotiation with terrorists or blackmailers. But let's hope the GOP backs down before causing the mother of all economic disasters to make their point.
  • NOS4A2
    Not a good look.

“Tell the director that I would like to resolve this now before it gets out of hand, and now means tonight,” Mr. Biden wrote, referring to other participants in the proposed deal. “And, Z, if I get a call or text from anyone involved in this other than you, Zhang, or the chairman, I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction.”

Taken at face value, the message would undercut President Biden’s longstanding claims that he had nothing to do with his son’s international business deals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/22/us/politics/hunter-biden-joe-business-deal.html

Hunter Biden got a nice little slap on the wrist for tax fraud and gun crimes, and if other allegations are true, the justice department was running defense for him even while daddy was out of office. It must be nice to be above the law.
  • Michael
    Continuing in that article:

Mr. Shapley, in fact, also told Congress that his investigation had uncovered some evidence that some of the claims of the elder Mr. Biden’s involvement were mere “wishful thinking.”

He told of an interview conducted with Hunter Biden’s business associate Rob Walker, who told investigators that it was “projection” that former Vice President Biden would get involved in their business ventures.

“I certainly never was thinking at any time the V.P. was a part of anything we were doing,” Mr. Walker said, according to Mr. Shapley.

House Republicans sought to portray the testimony as further evidence that Hunter Biden had gotten what they call a sweetheart deal from the Justice Department, even though his agreement to plead guilty to two misdemeanor charges appeared in line with how other first-time, nonviolent offenders were typically treated. Mr. Biden paid his back taxes and penalties in 2021.
  • NOS4A2

The content your ellipses leave out.

The WhatsApp message was among a batch of documents released by the Ways and Means Committee along with the transcripts of interviews with Mr. Shapley and a second I.R.S. investigator whose name was redacted.

The two investigators, one of whom described himself as a Democrat, told Congress of a lengthy period of strife between them and others involved in the investigation. They said a particular prosecutor at the Justice Department blocked some of their efforts and communicated too much information to Hunter Biden’s legal team.

Mr. Shapley suggested that I.R.S. investigators believed there were grounds to charge Mr. Biden with more serious crimes than he ultimately agreed to plead guilty to as part of his deal with the Justice Department. Mr. Shapley told the committee that he was “alleging, with evidence, that D.O.J. provided preferential treatment, slow-walked the investigation, did nothing to avoid obvious conflicts of interest in this investigation.”
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment