• Noble Dust

Whatever it is needs to be done, that's how you do it, yeah.
  • Amity
    Meat Loaf - You Took the Words Right Out of Mouth (Hot Summer Night)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wO8toxinoc

:kiss:
  • 180 Proof

"I Wish It Would Rain" (2:49)
    Wish It Would Rain, 1967
    The Temptations

"Rainy Day Women" #12 & 35 (4:35)
    Blond On Blond, 1966
    Bob Dylan

"Fool in the Rain" (6:08)
    In Through the Outdoor, 1979
    Led Zeppelin

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/724811 :victory: :joke:
  • Jamal
    I never really got into the Cardiacs--I think the vocals put me off--but I do like one of the bands that came out of the Cardiacs, called Knifeworld.

• Noble Dust

I'll check them out tonight. I'm not a huge Cardiacs fan, but got into them through Oceansize; their lead singer Mike Vennart is a huge fan. You can maybe here some of the influence in the second half of this song, starting around 5:02:

• Jamal
    That's cool. Definitely hear the influence.
  • Noble Dust

Cool, I like the use of the horns on the first track. I definitely hear the Cardiacs vibe. How are they connected to Cardiacs? Also, as someone who moves in and out of different music circles, you might be the first person I know who has even heard of Cardiacs.

Oceansize is one of my favorite bands. One of their best:

• Jamal
    I like the use of the horns on the first trackNoble Dust

Yeah I think that's one of the things that really attracted me. They did a lot of stuff with bassoon as well. This was the first song of theirs that I heard, one of their best:

How are they connected to Cardiacs?Noble Dust

The lead guy, Kavus Torabi, was in the Cardiacs in the early 2000s, and Tim Smith of the Cardiacs had produced some of his music in the 1990s I think.

Oceansize is one of my favorite bands. One of their bestNoble Dust

Cool. I especially like the tinkly bit in the middle, and generally the whole thing has a satisfying anthemic quality.
  • Noble Dust

There seems to be an interesting niche of British music surrounding Cardiacs. Fascinating. I think I liked the first track you posted more, but this is interesting. Feels more proggy. Some Ian Anderson vibes or something.

If we're still trading tracks, this is the Oceansize magnus opus. The ending is profound.

• Jamal
    Feels more proggy. Some Ian Anderson vibes or something.Noble Dust

Prog feels like my musical home. I don't know about Ian Anderson; what I hear is the influence of Henry Cow (now that's a weird rabbit hole for you if you don't know them; Fred Frith is one of my favourite musicians).

If we're still trading tracks, this is the Oceansize magnus opus. The ending is profound.Noble Dust

For some reason I assumed they were American, but I see they're from Manchester, and they were starting up around the time I was living there. I'd never heard of them.

I quite like it and I recognize the artistry, but it does have that solemn, portentous 90s guitar rock sound that I'm not that into. Maybe it'll grow on me. I appreciate learning of their existence.
  • Noble Dust

I know of Henry Cow, but haven't listened. Where should I start?

Yeah, Oceansize is a pretty niche cult band. I sort of grew up with the 90s guitar rock sound, so I don't mind it, but it's definitely dated. Which is a shame because Oceansize's musical ideas are pretty interesting, but it's definitely overshadowed by the dated sound. The kids tell me 90s grunge is coming back, though.
  • Jamal
    I know of Henry Cow, but haven't listened. Where should I start?Noble Dust

Not sure it matters with Henry Cow. Legend or Western Culture. But I’m a bit more familiar with solo Fred Frith. Gravity and Traffic Continues are very different but both fantastic.
  • universeness

Pleasant instrumental sound but I much prefer the invocations of Jean Michele Jarre, Mike Oldfield or even Vangelis!
  • Noble Dust

I'll check it out.
  • Amity

What a delicious double-first for me. Thanks for finding and sharing :cool:
    I love George Harrison but had no idea about this film-making collaboration. What a crew!
    Apparently, the lyrics had a bit of a sting in them. Subtle.

In the 2011 documentary George Harrison: Living in the Material World, directed by Martin Scorsese, Gilliam recalled that late in the production of Time Bandits he came to see the song's lyrics as "notes" from Harrison on the things he liked and disliked about the film and on how Gilliam was "too arrogant and not listening!" Gilliam added: "And I thought it was the most brilliant, subtle, clever thing a man could ever do, to write a song. He's writing about things that he felt strongly about and yet he's too polite and decent and, I think, respectful of other artists, whatever form that takes, to interfere."
  • Amity

What is it about ELO? Even the mention makes me smile.

Perhaps it's Jeff Lynne.
    Again, there's a George Harrison connection.
    'The Traveling Wilburys (sometimes shortened to the Wilburys) were a British–American supergroup consisting of Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. Originating from an idea discussed by Harrison and Lynne during the sessions for Harrison's 1987 album Cloud Nine...'

From Cloud Nine:
    "This Is Love" is a song by English rock musician George Harrison that was released on his 1987 album Cloud Nine. Harrison co-wrote the song with Jeff Lynne, who also co-produced the track. In June 1988, it was issued as the third single from Cloud Nine, peaking at number 55 on the UK Singles Chart.

This is Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWkBk2ixs8

The Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line (Official Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVjToYOjbM

A good start to the day :cool:
  • Amity

The special sound of The Temptations :cool:
    1:28 and 1:33 took me straight to 'My Girl' (1964)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ff2Z0Dq2sg
  • Amity
    Written by Bob Dylan*

If Not For You - Olivia Newton-John/George Harrison ( both now passed :flower: :sparkle: )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxPrV9FWGQ

1. Olivia Newton-John - If Not For You #25 in July 1971 on the Uni label.
    2. George Harrison - If Not For You released on the All Things Must Pass album in 1970 on the Apple label.

Dame Olivia Newton-John AC DBE (26 September 1948 – 8 August 2022)
    Tributes have been paid from around the world to Olivia Newton-John, who has died from cancer aged 73.
    The British-born Australian singer and actress was best known for playing Sandy in Grease, one of the most successful film musicals ever made.
    Her Grease co-star John Travolta said she "made all of our lives so much better" while its director said: "What you see is what you get with her"
    She died peacefully at her California ranch surrounded by family and friends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62472100

* still alive :cool:

Bob Dylan - If Not for You (Official Audio)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyouhbgAiCA
  • Changeling
    wow, didn't know that... I should've asked if you agreed!
  • Amity
    wow, didn't know that... I should've asked if you agreed!Changeling

:smile:
    It seems you missed the big love-in.
    Me, George and @180 Proof :wink:

I approve your choice :100:
    A wonderful find. You have a knack :up:
  • Jamal

To embed a video right here on TPF, click on the camera icon:

fzd69ahbrdidv7x1.jpg

Then paste in the link:

5yeq3mxlozytlr98.jpg

You don't have to do this if you don't want to, but people mostly won't click to open YouTube while they're on TPF.

Bob Dylan - If Not for YouAmity

I have good memories of this song. My parents used to play it.
  • Amity

Thanks for clear instructions!

I have good memories of this song. My parents used to play it.Jamal

Just for you :cool:

• Jamal
    :up: :clap:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist