• Mikie
    Yeah, it's a clowncar of absurd self-serving slogans. That's why I only drop in for the occasional disparagement.ZzzoneiroCosm

Neither logic nor disparagement work; he hasn't the logical intelligence or the emotional intelligence for either. Yet I feel it's necessary to continue doing both, lest anyone new to the forum mistakes his pathological worldview as representative.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Yet I feel it's necessary to continue doing both, lest anyone new to the forum mistakes his pathological worldview as representative.
    6h
    Xtrix

I'd say that's a worthy cause.
  • Wayfarer
    It occurs to me, listening to the pre-broadcast commentary, that a very sizeable minority, and possibly even a majority, of Americans, really do believe that Donald Trump is above the law. They may not express it in those terms, and if you put it to them in those words, they might disagree, but in practice this is what they actually believe. And that's why constitutional democracy is under threat in America - because the very people whose will it is supposed to express no longer believe in it.
  • Deletedmemberzc

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

H. L. Mencken
  • Deletedmemberzc

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H.L. Mencken
  • Wayfarer
    I know there's an awful lot of anti-democratic ideology in this forum but it's just like Churchill said after defeating Hitler - it's the least bad option. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on those hearings today, it's why I've posted the youtube link.
  • Deletedmemberzc

I agree with that one. It's just a long wait for the People (in no way excluding myself) to put away childish things. Another millennium or two should do.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Wish I had time to watch it. I'll catch the highlights and the blooper reel.
  • Jackson
    Hearings tonight were damning. Trump should be afraid to walk out in public.
  • Agent Smith
    Donald Trump should have himself checked for a brain parasite! It's the only way he can let himself off the hook. It wasn't me that did all those horrible things, it was slow rabies or something like that!
  • Wayfarer
    Trump should be afraid to walk out in public.Jackson

A significant number of them will applaud him when he does. Unfortunately.

I wonder if Murdoch and Trump will share a cubicle in Hell.
  • Michael
    Donald Trump Allegedly Cheered Mob Wanting To Hang VP: 'Mike Pence Deserves It'

Former President Donald Trump welcomed chants by his supporters calling for his Vice President Mike Pence to be hanged on January 6th, 2021, according to Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), a lead investigator on the House select committee probing the attack on the U.S. Capitol.

During the first public hearing held by the committee on Thursday, Cheney cited testimony by Trump advisers who recalled the president saying, “Maybe our supporters have the right idea. Mike Pence deserves it.”

Cheney also said that the committee will air testimony that Trump “really did not want to put anything out” by urging his supporters to stand down and leave the Capitol, and that the former president was “really angry” at advisors who said he needed to do so.

“On the morning of January 6, President Donald Trump’s intention was to remain president of the United States,” Cheney said, adding that he had “a seven-point plan” to overturn the 2020 election.

Cheney said Trump made “relentless efforts to pressure Pence both in private and public.”

“What President Trump asked Vice President Pence to do wasn’t just wrong. It was illegal and unconstitutional,” she added.
  • Tate
    It occurs to me, listening to the pre-broadcast commentary, that a very sizeable minority, and possibly even a majority, of Americans, really do believe that Donald Trump is above the law.Wayfarer

In practice, the president ends up being above the law, especially if he's very influential like Trump. Does Trump's failure to be impeached reflect a diminished commitment to democracy? Definitely. I don't know where that's headed.

Post presidency, they just can't find a crime to stick on him. That had nothing to do with democracy.
  • Tate
    All judicial systems fail sometimes. This is a case study in a UK failure:

• Relativist
    Post presidency, they just can't find a crime to stick on him. That had nothing to do with democracy.Tate

Mueller's investigation identified several instances of obstruction of Justice, with evidence that many former federal prosecutors agreed was more than adequate for an indictment. I see two possible reasons to explain why this hasn't been prosecuted: 1) conviction depends on proving Trump had corrupt intent - which is challenging, and 2) anything short of a conviction could be perceived as political vendetta.

New York is apparently dropping the criminal case against Trump for his financial crimes, and it's because the case is so complex and therefore difficult to establish Trump's personal involvement at key steps. It's notable that Trump does not use email. On the other hand, the civil suit has a good chance of succeeding. However, past suits that he lost don't seem to matter to his cult members.

It's possible a good case can be made for his attempts to overturn the election, but it remains to be seen. I've always thought that his best defense would be to argue that he truly believed he won the election, whether out of stupidity or delusion. It's not a crime to publicly proclaim something he believed to be true. It was interesting to hear testimony from Barr, Jason Miller, and Ivanka - but this just shows Trump was provided the facts, not that he accepted them.

Perhaps we'll learn that Trump was told about the planning of the Proud Boys for 1/6. We'll have to stay tuned.
  • NOS4A2

A sober analysis, Relativist. Respect.
  • Jackson
    Perhaps we'll learn that Trump was told about the planning of the Proud Boys for 1/6. We'll have to stay tuned.Relativist

"Stand down, and stand by." Trump was directly ordering the Proud Boys.
  • L'éléphant
    All judicial systems fail sometimes. This is a case study in a UK failure:Tate
    Terrible. More power to Amber Heard.
  • Streetlight

Interesting but also depressing thread. People need to realize that anti-trans culture warring is the bleeding edge of American fascism right now. Anyone who buys into, perpetuates, or stands by it is on the side of fascists, full stop. Or as Jason Stanley put it the other day - either one stands in solidarity with our trans friends, or one is complicit in end of what little there is of American democracy. That's the choice.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Stand down, and stand by." Trump was directly ordering the Proud Boys.Jackson

He said: "Stand back and stand by."

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-joe-biden-race-and-ethnicity-donald-trump-chris-wallace-0b32339da25fbc9e8b7c7c7066a1db0f
  • praxis
    Trump was provided the facts, not that he accepted them.Relativist

Americans don’t deserve a leader who accepts facts.
  • Relativist
    "Stand down, and stand by." Trump was directly ordering the Proud Boys.Jackson
    Clearly, the Proud Boys perceived it that way, but how do you establish Trump's intent? His post debate statement would get him off: “I don’t know who the Proud Boys are. Whoever they are, they have to stand down. Let law enforcement do their work.”
  • Jackson
    Clearly, the Proud Boys perceived it that way, but how do you establish Trump's intent?Relativist

By every single thing that happened. Seem obvious and consistent. Trump never hides anything.
  • Agent Smith
    Trump, whatever said and done, was voted into the White House in a fair election!
  • Jackson
    Trump, whatever said and done, was voted into the White House in a fair election!Agent Smith

Maybe. Therefore, what?
  • Agent Smith
    Maybe. Therefore, what?Jackson

Good question!
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Wayfarer
    Always the same with Trump - although you think you've seen the worst, heard the worst, something comes along that is even more despicable than all the many despicable things he's already done. It's a bottomless pit of depravity.

Today's installment was groups of thugs and rabble-rousers standing outside the homes of election officials, or driving around video trucks calling them paedophiles and perverts. This, directed in many cases, at lifelong Republicans, one of whom was at the time caring for a terminally-ill daughter inside the house, while the mob stood outside chanting slogans. (She has subsequently died.)

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.