• Deletedmemberzc
    @jamalrob@baden@Michael

I had the thought that the site could be improved by subdividing "Interesting Stuff" into subcategories like psychology, sociology, history, current events, etc.

I know I'm not a top influencer around here but it seems to me that kind of sugar might draw more flies.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I see some of that has already been done.
  • Jamal
    Yep.

Whether instead of Humanities and Social Sciences we should have psychology, sociology, history, and so on, as separate categories, I don’t know. Seems ok as it is.
  • T Clark
    Whether instead of Humanities and Social Sciences we should have psychology, sociology, history, and so on, as separate categories, I don’t know. Seems ok as it is.Jamal

I don't generally pay attention to what categories posts are in. It all just shows up on my front page.
  • Jamal
    Same here, but … everything in its right place.
  • Deletedmemberzc

:cool: Just a thought. :smile:
  • Deletedmemberzc

I suppose what I secretly had in mind was a revamping or renaming of the site to make it more inclusive of psychologists, sociologists, etc, looking for a place to play. I've had a lot of trouble finding playmates out there. And psychologists, sociologists, etc, would have trouble finding their way to this "vibrant community." :cool:
  • Deletedmemberzc
    This is by far the best site for intellectual play one can easily locate via Google. That's not flattery.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Happy to say thank you... :smile:
  • javi2541997

This is by far the best site for intellectual play I can easily find via Google. That's not flattery.

Completely agree. This is, by far, the only serious site Iever found in internet. Previously, I was in a Neon Genesis Evangelion forum and I ended up with a trauma.
  • Agent Smith
    I want more emoticons! Please, pretty please!
  • T Clark
    I would appreciate if moderators, when they delete or move a thread, would notify the person who started it. Then if the poster wants an explanation, they can ask directly. I can't understand why moderators resist doing that, except in particularly egregious examples of abuse. It would only take a few seconds.
  • Michael
    I can't understand why moderators resist doing that, except in particularly egregious examples of abuse. It would only take a few seconds.Clarky

Because there are often a dozen posts in the moderation queue.
  • T Clark
    Because there are often a dozen posts in the moderation queue.Michael

If you've got time to delete the thread, you've got time to post a one sentence PM.
  • Baden

It's optional and not a bad idea in principle. But let's not pretend this is about writing a one sentence PM. The PM will almost certainly be responded to and very often instigate a debate.
  • T Clark
    It's optional and not a bad idea in principle. But let's not pretend this is about writing a one sentence PM. The PM will almost certainly be responded to and very often instigate a debate.Baden

Once I started a thread that Jamal took offense with. Once I realized it had been moved to the lounge, I talked it over with him and he reinstated it to the main page. But it took me a while to figure out that it had even been moved.
  • Baden

It's a fair point, I know.
  • L'éléphant
    But let's not pretend this is about writing a one sentence PM. The PM will almost certainly be responded to and very often instigate a debate.Baden
    As a solution, you might want to create a noreply PM:

Please do not reply to this PM. Replies to this PM are routed to a robot moderator with no pulse. Its alphabet consists only of CAPTCHA acronym which stands for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.
  • Baden

Ooh... :naughty:
  • T Clark
    It's a fair point, I know.Baden

I'm not expecting any change in policy. This is just intended as a request to each of you. No need for further discussion on my part.
  • Baden

I'll make an effort anyhow.
  • Bird-Up
    Ok, now I am really messed up. I cannot remember which threads I have been posting in. I miss the "MY THREADS" function.Sir2u

I would like to see a feature where the threads that you have already posted in are highlighted somehow.
  • L'éléphant
    Ooh... :naughty:Baden
    Not anymore. I lost the 666.
  • neomac
    Probably these feature requests were already made by others, but it's worth reminding: I would like to filter out threads based on the category (e.g. short stories) and posts based on the author. These could be available setups in the user profile.
  • Jamal
    You can block posts by certain members using SophistiCat’s browser extension:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/5738/ignore-list-browser-extension/p1

But I’m afraid you’ll have to live with all the short stories popping up. It’s just once or twice a year.
  • neomac
    ↪neomac
    You can block posts by certain members using SophistiCat’s browser extension:
    Jamal

:up:
  • Paine
    I would like a way to blank out a profile picture of a member when it is super ugly.
  • Jack Cummins

The idea of blanking out a profile picture when it is perceived by you as 'ugly' seems odd because in real life we cannot cancel out the people we see in the street who we perceive as 'ugly'. Perhaps, you have become too enchanted with the glossy beauties of stylised selfies on the internet. I am not saying that I oppose your right to cancel out avatar pictures which you dislike, but It may be worth thinking about the nature of your request and aesthetic sensitivity on a philosophical level. Socrates was reputed to be ugly, and what does an ugly philosopher represent to you or in public opinion and esteem?
  • Paine

Socrates was stuck with his looks. I have spared the community by using a plant to stand in for me. Some images feel like an intentional assault. They certainly are not pictures of members.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.