• Hillary
    Biological computing is, for example, currently trying to identify a process within proteins, which is reliable/stable/controllable enough to emulate at least the two binary states (0,1) within electronic computer systems.universeness

The new developments in biological computing, quantum computing, and CRISPR, offer a strong cocktail trio for extending life beyond humans and within humanity itself.
  • Hillary

It's my guess you had some bad experiences with religion. So your paranoia might just be a defend mechanism. Which is understandable.
  • Vincent
    I'm having trouble understanding you. I was not educated in the words you use. But if I understand you correctly then I think that in 100 to 150 years we will know all the laws of nature and that we can then be regarded as all-knowing. That does not mean that we can already be regarded as god, which will feel that way. I believe it will then take at least another thousand years before we can realize a creation such as an evolutionary planet like the one we live in now.
    I don't know if there's anything beyond all that. I don't know if there is a creator of the universe. But I'm sure there's something or someone watching us and maybe controlling us.
  • ArmChairPhilosopher
    have you looked at any of the small forays into biological computing?universeness
    Briefly. The technology is much too young to anticipate if it will become useful in the process of "uploading".
    Do you think this future tech could deal with the complexity issue you raised?
    Again, too early to say. I'm not even sure if silicone is the way to go. Technology and biology are at a race for life extension and adaptation to, for example, long space flight. Maybe neither will win and general AIs will take over such tasks were you want to have a conscious and intelligent entity.
    My guess is that we will see advances in all those fields over the next decades.
  • universeness
    I just repeated your claim that it is me using theist tactics. Who says it's not you using theist tactics? Why you accused me of it? Where did I give you the impression I believe in God?Hillary

You make a lot of 'inaccurate' jumps. I accused you of sophistry, of being disingenuous.
    I ASKED you if you were a theist. Disgruntled theists often dress up in the clothing of sophistry.
    Trolls roleplay, it's what they do to satisfy their own internal needs to be deceitful.
    In reality, most of them are as easy to understand and see through, as Trump supporters.
    I am responding to some of the ridiculous things you have typed so far such as:

You can say that! Let's hope the nukes are dropped!Hillary

I envision a salvation army of nano-bots injected in our bloodstreamHillary

the emotative areas involved in procreationHillary

Useless functions like involved in the artsHillary

people judgment and discrimination can be replacedHillary

These are either very fringe opinions based on a very skewed logic or you are just making stuff up to see what response you get.
  • universeness
    The new developments in biological computing, quantum computing, and CRISPR, offer a strong cocktail trio for extending life beyond humans and within humanity itselfHillary

I agree.

It's my guess you had some bad experiences with religion. So your paranoia might just be a defend mechanism. Which is understandableHillary

No I havent had bad experiences with religion unless you identify their ridiculous posits as 'bad.' If you do then use that label if you wish. Your 'paranoia' accusation is toothless and baseless. You made the ridiculous typings I mentioned not me. You have demonstrated typical troll behaviour not me.
    If it types like a troll, it's normally a troll.
    We can continue to exchange on my suspicion of your intent if you insist but I dont think you will make any headway. Better if you just attempt to offer more honest and balanced dialogue regarding the OP. Rather than continue your current move towards 'methinks he/she doth protest too much!'
  • Hillary
    If we become omniscient in the vastly distant future because we have answered all questions would we then be god? This is the eventual projection of some panpsychist viewpoints. We have had a few recent threads on that topic.universeness

This sounds suspicious.There is a definite theistic smell surrounding this statement. Is this an attempt to become like God, whose existence you secretly affirm here? God being the universe?

You made the ridiculous typings I mentioned not me.universeness

You wrote I did theistic role playing! And said I'm a troll because of that! Who started here?
  • universeness
    I'm having trouble understanding you.Vincent

That's ok I can try to explain myself beter.

When you use the label god, what abilities do you think a god must have? The omnis?
    Do you think only one god can exist or many?
    You typed about a super-intelligent advanced alien race, why would you use the label god for such a race merely because they can do stuff we cant do YET.
  • Hillary

These are either very fringe opinions based on a very skewed logic or you are just making stuff up to see what response you get.universeness

You do it again! Yes, of course I'm interested what response I get. Aren't you?
  • universeness
    This sounds suspicious.There is a definite theistic smell surrounding this statement. Is this an attempt to become like God, whose existence you secretly affirm here? God being the universe?Hillary

No, my statement was a simple projection of panpsychism/cosmopsychism, I did not declare myself a panpsychist, cosmopsychist or theist. I am an atheist and supporter of physics not metaphysics.
    I think that we need to focus on how super the natural is and stop the BS about the non-existent supernatural.

You wrote I did theistic role playing! And said I'm a troll because of that! Who started here?Hillary

You did by typing the inane sentences I quoted from you.
  • universeness
    You do it again! Yes, of course I'm interested what response I get. Aren't you?Hillary

Yes I am, but not based on attempts to bait people by stealth as I suspect you do.
  • Hillary
    Yes I am, but not based on attempts to bait people by stealth as I suspect you do.universeness

Bait people? What for? I just state what I think is the case and what will happen in the future. What would be my motives. People telling me that what I tell is ridiculous? Sorry, but that's not my intention!

I just answered the question. What's suspicious about that? What would be my hidden intentions? I just don't get it. Yes, probably this is part of the scam too... and this too... Jesus!
  • Vincent
    My take on what god means. Is a society of a planet that knows all the laws and all are connected with each other. God's purpose is to create an evolutionary planet like the Earth in order to fuse our society together until it can be considered as one. If we succeed in that, we are also a god. Just like our god. Then our god is no longer alone.
    One day in billions of years, all planets and societies in our universe may be considered god. Then the game starts again. Then all the gods (societies) scattered throughout our universe will merge into a kind of super god. And it will go on like this until 'I don't know'.
    I know how that sounds, but that's just my opinion.
  • universeness
    Briefly. The technology is much too young to anticipate if it will become useful in the process of "uploading".ArmChairPhilosopher

Yeah, it is still in its infancy.

Again, too early to say. I'm not even sure if silicone is the way to goArmChairPhilosopher

What do you mean by silicone? As currently used in electronic computing?
    I have not heard of silicone mentioned much within biological computing.
    I vaguely remember an article in New Scientist magazine a few years ago that talked about a merging between silicone-based electronic components and protein/DNA-based biological components but there wasn't much in it. Do you know of some other research I don't know about?

Technology and biology are at a race for life extension and adaptation to, for example, long space flight. Maybe neither will win and general AIs will take over such tasks were you want to have a conscious and intelligent entity.
    My guess is that we will see advances in all those fields over the next decades.
    ArmChairPhilosopher

Yeah but I think serious progress will take longer than a few decades. I base this just on the average human lifespan available now. We haven't achieved much beyond the old biblical claim for an average human lifespan as threescore and ten.
  • universeness
    Bait people? What for?Hillary

That's your reveal not mine.
  • Vincent
    Our universe can be compared to the Amazon forest. In the beginning there was nothing … .. But little by little plants appeared … Just like little by little new stars appear. After a long time there is now the universe (or the Amazon forest) as we know it today. Immense large. One day there was our sun … It was a seed of a rose. Our sun was born … In the beginning it was hard to come up, but it didn’t give up … and not much later it started to make the first twigs … … these are then our planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, (Pluto), planet X, Y, Z? ) But as everyone knows, a rose bush is very susceptible to diseases, so most twigs (planets) died quickly. But 1 branch (our earth) remained alive. Our earth was the branch that was in the best position to receive the most light in the large Amazon forest … … but a rose always remains susceptible to diseases and pests …. many brown spots (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, meteorite impacts, ice ages,… ..) But our rose bush did not give up… ..Until one day… ..The rose bush starts making a flower bud (humanity was born) (the moment when all the misery started)…. but the rose continues to suffer from brown spots (wars, slavery, diseases, …………) …………………. What will happen soon …… .. soon the flower bud is fully grown…. and soon the flower bud is going to open … .. but as everyone knows … it takes a few days before the rose is completely open …. it will take a while before everything falls into the fold …. that will be WW3 or apocalypse ….. But if the rose is completely open … ……… .. ultimate beauty, or in other words ……. absolute world peace … for 100 years … and what happens afterwards …. well .. what will a rose do then…………….
  • Hillary

You wrote:

"Yes I am, but not based on attempts to BAIT people by stealth as I suspect you do"
  • Hillary

Damned! You should have become a poet! :up:
  • universeness
    My take on what god means. Is a society of a planet that knows all the laws and all are connected with each other. God's purpose is to create an evolutionary planet like the Earth in order to fuse our society together until it can be considered as one. If we succeed in that, we are also a god. Just like our god. Then our god is no longer alone.
    One day in billions of years, all planets and societies in our universe may be considered god. Then the game starts again. Then all the gods (societies) scattered throughout our universe will merge into a kind of super god. And it will go on like this until 'I don't know'.
    I know how that sounds, but that's just my opinion
    Vincent

If as you suggest, humans CAN achieve these goals you suggest then why do you need this other god reference or this continuation of gods.
    I find that many theists in particular and many people, in general, cannot go through life without having some overall answer for the final fate of the human race and the Universe. They have to have a 'grounding,' an anchor a tether to the eternal. I think this comes purely from primal fear that we inherited from our time in the wilds. Thinking about infinity has driven many minds mad. I don't think we have to be so obsessed with the eternal. We just don't need the god label. It's regressive to me.
    I prefer 'to boldly go where we have never gone before......,' let the useless god label die along with the BS biblical prophecies.
  • universeness
    You should have become a poet!Hillary

and I don't even know it!
  • ArmChairPhilosopher
    What do you mean by silicone? As currently used in electronic computing?universeness

It is more a reference to the term "going into silicone" for uploading as used in cyberpunk novels. So, yes it means electronic computing but not necessarily traditional hardware.

Yeah but I think serious progress will take longer than a few decades. I base this just on the average human lifespan available now. We haven't achieved much beyond the old biblical claim for an average human lifespan as threescore and ten.universeness

Ray Kurzweil has an eerily accurate track record of technological predictions. His prediction for the first general intelligence is 2028, the first super intelligence around 2050 and the singularity around 2080. And I'm inclined to believe him as I was surprised by Watson and alpha GO.
  • universeness
    In the beginning there was nothingVincent

This is just not the case, the Earth formed from an accretion disc of natural materials, how is that nothing? You need to go back to just before the big bang if you want to even introduce the concept of nothing. Even then it may be pointless to do so as the theory of the multiverse, the oscillating
    Universe/the Penrose bounce etc, etc can take us towards the eternal and even then we don't need
    god. A small mindless spark to start the cycle and then wink out of existence forever would suffice.
  • Vincent
    I believe in the existence of god. Or something that connects us all. I also know that god is not as described in the bible. It's not an old man on a cloud. It's something completely different. Something we can't understand at the moment because our IQ is just too low. We are still fairly primitive compared to all-knowing.
    I invite you to read my blog until the end. You will want to drop out at many moments because it is worded fairly simply. But if you read to the end and make the effort to understand it, you would understand me. You shouldn't read it in one sitting, of course (it's quite long). But if you have questions for me, you can usually find my opinion in my blog.
  • Hillary
    and I don't even know it!universeness

This was meant for Vincent... I doubt there hides a poet in you... Though they generally are paranoid!
  • Vincent
    This is just not the case, the Earth formed from an accretion disc of natural materials, how is that nothing?universeness

By nothing I mean life forms. There is still a lot to learn of course.
  • universeness
    The rose bush starts making a flower bud (humanity was born) (the moment when all the misery started)Vincent

You seem to have a low opinion of your own species. Were the dinosaurs a better species than us?
    They didn't build cities and damage the climate and war with each other (well they did a bit...) as much as you claim we do. You ignore all of mankind's achievements.
    Why did they go extinct? they were dominant on the Earth for a lot longer than we have been.
  • universeness
    This was meant for Vincent...Hillary

It's not my fault that you also have a bad aim to add to your dodgy intentions.
  • Hillary
    A small mindless spark to start the cycle and then wink out of existence forever would suffice.universeness

Then where came that spark from? What parallel worlds and bounces are you speaking of? And it clear it's all just alien-produced? If quantum computing has grown up we might be able to contemplate our makers. After nano-bots have made us immortal and quantum computing AI merges with our brain or even replaces it, we might be able to contemplate our makers.
  • Vincent
    You seem to have a low opinion of your own species. Were the dinosaurs a better species than us?
    They didn't build cities and damage the climate and war with each other (well they did a bit...) as much as you claim we do. You ignore all of mankind's achievements.
    Why did they go extinct? they were dominant on the Earth for a lot longer than we have been
    universeness

The remnants of the dinosaur era have now turned into oil which we now use as an energy source. That energy source (oil) has united us to who we are today. But that same source of energy has also brought us to the abyss. It is time to leave humanity behind and mutate into a being that is one across the planet.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment