• god must be atheist
    Would Heidegger be banned?
    — Cartuna

Only in my dreams, alas.
    Ciceronianus

Well, he ain't around, no posts by him anywhere these days, so either he has been banned or found for himself a forum better suited for his values.
  • god must be atheist
    You don't get to be a Diogenes just because you masturbated in the marketplace.
    — Baden

Hey.... It was just that once.
    T Clark

Doctor's office.
    Doctor (looks at the patient, then says), "Sir, you've got to stop masturbating."
    Patient: "What?? Wh... wh... why, my god, why?"
    Doctor: "Because now I want to examine you."
  • James Riley
    Sometimes when trying to communicate with another, it is best to speak their chosen language.
  • Janus
    If we’re concerned about the effects of the forum on individual lives maybe we should start banning any pessimistic users or threads eh. Wouldn’t want it to affect people, their partners, family or society.khaled

My point was not to ban anyone at least not on the strength of one outburst or statement. Delete offensive posts was my suggestion; reject the idea, not the person. So, your objection is misdirected.
  • 180 Proof
    One good thing that's come out of this discussion is that I've learned, partly thanks to Banno, that espouse does not mean advocate.jamalrob
    Yeah, 'making a rule' isn't the same as 'trying to justify making (that) rule'.
  • Ciceronianus
    Would Heidegger be banned?
    — Cartuna

Only in my dreams, alas.
    — Ciceronianus

Well, he ain't around, no posts by him anywhere these days, so either he has been banned or found for himself a forum better suited for his values.
    god must be atheist

Plenty of Little Heideggers in the world, though, and Little Hitlers for that matter.
  • Kenosha Kid
    and Little Hitlers for that matter.Ciceronianus

Yeah, I call mine that too. It's the half-hearted salute. And it's always invading somewhere. And it's crap at painting.
  • Leghorn
    You don't get to be a Diogenes just because you masturbated in the marketplace.Baden

No, but you can be Pilate...as long as you wash the blood off your hands.
  • Baden

The hates women guy was Jesus? Tell me more. [Breaks out popcorn].
  • Janus
    It might have been a perverse outburst because he was having a very bad day...or not. Was he given the chance to explain? If he was and he said he would not moderate the expression of his views, then the banning would be justified in my view.

It's amusing how up in arms the self-righteous become.
  • Baden
    Seems like both sides have presented their views to the point of steeply diminishing returns so please file your final thoughts if you have any before we move on and reclose the thread.
  • Yohan
    — janus
    Was he given the chance to explain? If he was and he said he would not moderate the expression of his views, then the banning would be justified in my viewJanus
    Did you read the context in which MZ expressed his misogyny? There was no intention to treat him charitably even before he expressed his misogyny. He was hunted after the moment he admitted to holding secret prejudice.
  • Janus
    No, I didn't read the context, and I imagine the conversation has been deleted.
  • dimosthenis9
    A bunch of condensed cowards whining is shameful.StreetlightX

What exactly is so shameful? Many members here who disagree with the specific ban support their opinion with reasonable arguments, which are about that he was banned for a specific post . And that his general attitude wasn't fanatic. Also the main objection was that he didn't have a chance to explain himself.

Not even one single member supported his views of misogynism, they just found the banning too much for the specific person.
    So what exactly should they be shamed about and you use such heavy, offending words? That they just have some objections on mods decision? Is Democracy a shame??

And as to close, it's not that I will miss MZ, not even considering him as a high quality poster as to be honest. But I just found the banning too much.
    Yeah of course is under the mods judgement and you can't accuse them since even one post can send you out. But give the rest of us the chance to express our objections. Should we kneel down to Mods and kiss their ring, even if we disagree with them? That is what would make us "brave" and not "cowards"?

The only shameful thing here in my opinion is the way that some attack with such offensive words to other members, who just have different opinion and NOT supporting misogynism of course. Is that how you "support" equality? Anyway. So be.
  • Leghorn
    The whole notion of banning and censorship here evokes that imposed upon philosophers from the earliest times. The Enlightenment was nothing more than an attempt by philosophers to protect themselves; to elevate them in the eyes of ordinary men by making all men reasonable, and therefore appreciative of reason; to remove the people’s dogma and prejudice and replace it with “the scientific method”; to wrest control away from whimsical tyrants; to retreat to respectable academies and universities where they could be left alone to think freely...

...what the Enlighteners did not envision was that philosophy herself would, through this process, become a prejudice. Now everyone has their own personal “philosophy”, and it’s almost always just some version of what is popularly held to be true. Extending reason to the people has not resulted in elevating the people, making them more reasonable and removing their prejudices; it has instead merely replaced their old prejudices with new ones—ones as equally opposed to true philosophy as the old ones were...

...in ancient times it was a prejudice that women were inferior to men; in modern times it is a prejudice that they are equal.
  • Baden
    So, from what I can gather, Jesus was peacefully strolling around PF waxing philosophically on his hatred and contempt for half the human race, but, tragically, before his teachings could further enlighten an ignorant populace, he was hunted down by a bloodthirsty moderator who banished him, allowed him to be crucifed by.a baying mob, and then defended these actions with some prejudiced views on equality that would never pass muster in the good old days of wanking and shitting in public.

Many questions follow: What have we learned from this shameful debacle? How can we improve ourselves? Will PF ever recover? Who will make the womenfolk iron our shirts now that our lord and saviour is no longer with us?
  • Streetlight
    Also the main objection was that he didn't have a chance to explain himself.dimosthenis9

Good. Proud misogynists forfeit that chance. And if anyone is offended by the way misogynists and their apologists are spoken about, good. That we are not a safe space for delicate snowflakes who want to hate women who compose our community is lovely.
  • Noble Dust

What if he rises again in three days? Has it been three days yet? :chin:
  • dimosthenis9

What is not good though is offending others. Rephrasing their objections about mods decision by calling them "misogynist apologists". As if anyone supported that view.
    Sorry my friend but I don't find that so lovely.
  • Streetlight
    Long may we continue to offend, hurt, and exclude misogynists.
  • Baden
    What if he rises again in three days?Noble Dust

Why, we'll bury him again, good sir. Along with all apostles we root out, and we'll do so mercilessly and with heaping sods of mockery and disdain, for none of these are men; they are but sad urchins so insecure in their physical and mental fortitude that the notion of a woman of even the minimal moral and intellectual qualities wanted to dwarf all that they are sends them quaking, tiny-booted, back to the foetid basements of their souls from whence they scream absurdities they insult to call "philosophy". No, we shall not listen nor shall we mourn them; no sir, no more than the vector flea whose disease dies with it!
  • Changeling
    you've gone full Willy Wonka there. Except you're the owner of a civil rights factory.
  • Baden

:up: My message to Zwingli and his ilk. :point:

oqr2k3h7wx3ljvu4.jpeg

"You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"
  • praxis
    It's amusing how up in arms the self-righteous become.Janus

Oh no, can't resist...

Oompa loompa doompety doo
    I’ve got a perfect puzzle for you
    Oompa loompa doompety dee
    If you are wise you’ll listen to me

What do you get when you boast of your misogyny
    Hating as much as an unrepentant clansman
    What are you at, getting terribly bigoted
    What do you think will come of that

I don’t like the look of it

Oompa loompa doompety da
    If you’re not misogynistic, you will go far
    You will live in happiness too
    Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do
  • Leghorn
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely...but amusingly.
  • Changeling
    @praxis confirmed Oompa Loompa of TPF
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.