• S
    Also, like jamalrob, I drink too much and suffer soul-shattering shame w/ my hangover.csalisbury

I've had drinking problems ever since I first started drinking alcohol as a teenager: binge drinking and drink-related anxiety in certain situations, and I can definitely relate to feelings of shame and embarrassment afterwards. I reckon it runs in my family. But at least for me these problems only arise in certain social environments, like a night club. I know someone who is what I'd call a full-blown alcoholic, so I'm aware that it could be a lot worse. I've learned ways to control my drinking, but it's still a problem for me.

There are other medical issues that I could share, but I don't feel like doing so. I think I'd rather they remain private.
  • _db
    I think I'd rather they remain private.Sapientia

Pretty much me as well.

I've had drinking problems ever since I first started drinking alcohol as a teenager: binge drinking and drink-related anxiety in certain situations,Sapientia

I worry that I'll slip off the edge and become an alcoholic or drug addict to deal with my anxiety. Not a pretty picture.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I worry that I'll slip off the edge and become an alcoholic or drug addict to deal with my anxiety. Not a pretty picture.darthbarracuda

I cannot tell you how freakin adamant I have to be, about any Opiates to any medical/dental/ER Doctors. Saying I am allergic to Opiates should be enough right? No. I know that at any given time, any pain I will have to endure as a result of an injury or surgery CANNOT be controlled by any Opiates, any sister, brother or cousin of ANY Opiates. Have I said "No" to Opiates strong enough? I HIGHLY doubt it. The medical community knows their go to pain controller and it's my BIGGEST, deepest, darkest, enemy. The medical community got me addicted once and how easily I could fall victim to it again.
    My husband, my Indians, my parents and my friends ALL know that I refuse to be exposed to that hell again and have promised me to hold the medical community accountable if I am unable to. Meaning a 24/7 vigil to MAKE sure I am not unknowingly, unwillingly, exposed to Opiates.
    No, my only option for pain control is thru cannabis and that is the only pain management I will submit to.
    Just when I think I have all my bases covered, along comes this:Kratom
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kratom-an-addict%e2%80%99s-alternative-is-found-to-be-addictive-itself/ar-BBo8YFe?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp
    Which if you read the above link, is available without a prescription, without the addict even knowing. I just Thank God that I am allergic to alcohol because to be confronted with that addiction, everyday, in every bar, many restaurants and almost every celebration on the calendar, would be incredibly hard, almost impossible.
  • Baden
    I'm allergic to most forms of entertainment. Odd one that.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I'm allergic to most forms of entertainment. Odd one that.Baden

Speaking of oddness...

(From my experience) Cyclists are usually allergic to intelligence.

Perhaps my participation in the Philosophy Forum is meant to be a treatment?

Meow!

GREG
  • Hanover
    If humility were an illness, I'd be dead and gone, leaving the world an empty, useless place.

And, for the record, it was extremely difficult for me not to reclaim some malady related to over-developed genitalia or legendary sexual prowess, but because I liked the humility line so much, I went with that.
  • Hanover
    Ulcerative Colitis diagnosed at age 13.ArguingWAristotleTiff

We are living parallel lives I tell you. My diagnosis was in my 30s, though. It's fully controlled for me, but I do enjoy the more frequent colonoscopies I get to have.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    This kind of thread ties us together simply by sharing very intimate and personal issues.

Respect :cheer:
  • praxis
    All the usual issues such as tinnitus, lumbar and cervical spine, mild eczema and hemorrhoidal tissues. Also social anxiety.

I’ve had tinnitus for many years. It took a few years to get habituated to it, really bugged at first. I’ve found that it can be eliminated by proper diet but I’ve only been able to abstain from all refined sugars, caffeine, and alcohol for only about a year at a time. I suppose that it prevents me from deeply abusing those substances so possibly a positive in that sense.

Low back and neck problems have been an issue since early 20’s and went to a chiropractor religiously for years until I was in a position about 8 years ago where my healthcare insurance wouldn’t cover it. That was the best thing that could have happened, turns out, because I started practicing the McKenzie Method and after about a year I was better than I ever was with chiropractic care. I was even able to surf again. I can surf almost daily now with no back or neck problems. Just about every day starts with my own physical therapy regimen however.

Haven’t had a hemorrhoid flair up in years after I started squatting while poohing. Apparently we’ve evolved doing it squatting and there’s much less resistance or pressure doing it that way.

At one point in my life I developed anxiety disorder with full blown panic attacks. It was so bad at one point that I bought a Smith & Weston high caliber (don’t recall the specific caliber) revolver. But I worked through it, and studying philosophy actually helped, by the way, as well as other studies, and naturally maturing.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm 57 and consider myself quite lucky in both physical and psychological health given three plus decades of driving myself through life like somebody else's expensive rental. List of infirmities:

• arthritic (gout-afflicted) toes & fingers, all broken from sports and years as a nightclub bouncer while in and out of college

• type 2 diabetes (with neuropathy in both feet) – no longer fit and quite under-weight with a large frame (probably due to sugar-less, red meat-less diet changes and drinking lots of water (or unsweetened teas))

• seasonal (winter) insomnia, probably exacerbated by heavy drug use in the '80s and several years of nocturnal nightclub life

• dysthymia (managed for the last couple of decades by occasional CBT and daily long walks)

• 'functional alcoholism'? (down to 1 day a week drinking – friday happy hour – at most, often weeks at a time completely dry and supplimented by mild vapes / edibles)

• Covid-19, probably a long-hauler (c4 months so far), with chronic fatigue and brain fog and minor respiratory issues ... (NB: Still waiting for US FDA approval of one of the vaccines so I can get the stick without being a Big Pharma guinea pig for downstream side-effects ... yeah, I'm an anti-re: scientifically unapproved-vaxxer!)

The last ailment has negatively affected most of my plans, especially writing projects, more than all of the others combined. And yet, somehow, life remains good – difficult, frustrated, interesting, absurd – for which I am grateful. Philosophy, music and long walks are my holy trinity.
  • Amity
    If it is not too personal, I would like to start a thread where we talk about our medical issues (if we have any) and how they affect our lives. I envision this thread to be sensitive and non-judgmental, but also not just a place to rant. So, pretty much, just another "get to know you" thread.darthbarracuda

Started 6 years ago and resurrected from the graveyard of TPF.
    Designed to 'get to know you'...and for some this kind of sharing of intimate issues leads to a bonding.
    This is most valuable, particularly in addressing the role of philosophy in either causing, assessing or coping with health problems across the board.

I have had Purely Obsessional OCD since I can remember, but never got it diagnosed until a few years back. It is characterized by irrational thought patterns that cause a person anxiety. An obsessional thought will worm its way into my thought process, and I end up doing compulsive behaviors to try to mitigate the anxiety. It is a fear-based disorder. I am uncomfortable with uncertainty. You could probably call me the "ultimate devil's advocate," because no matter what position I take, doubt inevitably creeps in as an irrational, anxiety-ridden thought pattern. This unfortunately leaves me in a state of confusion and fogginess about the topic, as well as a general anxiety that spikes when the thought hits home. I am slowly learning to deal with this, and therapy has helped a lot. I used to post a lot of my obsessional thoughts on forums such as PF, but have now realized that this is a form of compulsion (and probably pisses the hell out of other people), so I am trying to learn to recognize when a thought is irrational and obsessional. This is not an excuse for me to post stupid stuff, but sometimes it is difficult to realize I am compulsing.darthbarracuda

Reading this moved me so much...thanks for sharing this experience of OCD and how you have dealt with it. That was 6yrs ago - so, hope all is well now.

I think that on a forum such as this, you are not alone. Some are more 'uncomfortable with uncertainty' than others who thrive on not knowing the absolute truth about an issue but are keen to explore all perspectives. As such and until anyone has aligned themselves with any particular way of thinking about the world, any position taken is not written in stone. It should even be possible to play 'the "ultimate devil's advocate," and still have doubt. The problem arises as you say when 'doubt inevitably creeps in as an irrational, anxiety-ridden thought pattern'.

I understand that philosophy itself as a way of pushing and playing with thoughts and ideas can lead to a certain turbulence. Here, at TPF many are willing to share their knowledge, experiences and stories all to the good. I think sometimes it would be be interesting for any 'debaters' to argue FOR the opposing positions, change places as it were...it can all be far too predictable.

Sometimes I wonder if once you get hooked on this forum and get to know people and their thoughts so intimately that it becomes more than a 'community' but an addiction in itself. Once a fascinating thread is started there is a compulsion to either keep reading or replying - no matter what. It can become a battle of egos. Or a never-ending soap opera. Some like it hot :fire:
    I am not so addicted that I can't leave - but like many I return - a kind of a mad obsession ? :nerd:

I don't expect any replies to this, but if you feel okay with sharing any medical conditions you are dealing with, this is the thread to do it.darthbarracuda

Clearly, plenty are willing to share stuff, up to a point.
    Amazing coincidences...

I am tempted to enter the medical story of my life but I won't.
    I tend to share as I go in various threads. Not all at once or even in a profile.

I am not alone in being reticent in this area.
    Here's something about:
    'Why We Don’t Talk About Our Illness and How We Can'

When author and screen-writer/director Nora Ephron died of leukemia in June, many of her fans were shaken; we didn’t even know she was sick. Maybe, we thought, she just didn’t want the public to know that she was so direly ill. But, it turns out, even some of those closest to her were likewise in the dark. Ephron, who once wrote, “there are no secrets” (About My Neck) went about her business up until the final hospitalization when then, only her immediate family and the most intimate friends knew she was dying...

Frank Rich quotes Meryl Streep from the memorial service:
    “We’ve all been ambushed….she really did catch us napping…And it’s really stupid to be mad at someone who died, but somehow I’ve managed it.”
    Streep went on to say that she was honored and privileged to be on the list of chosen speakers, despite feeling “pissed off.”
    Contemporary Psychoanalysis in Action
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/contemporary-psychoanalysis-in-action/201211/secrets-and-health-keeping-illness-hidden

Isn't this all about how we cope during life crises; how we view life, illness and death.
    How we might be helped by others' insights ?
    No wonder I can't stay away...
    :sparkle:
  • Hanover
    Haven’t had a hemorrhoid flair up in years after I started squatting while poohing. Apparently we’ve evolved doing it squatting and there’s much less resistance or pressure doing it that way.praxis

Do you stand on the toilet seat and squat? I'm just trying to form a visual.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Isn't this all about how we cope during life crises; how we view life, illness and death.
    How we might be helped by others' insights ?
    No wonder I can't stay away...
    :sparkle:
    Amity
    :flower:
  • Amity

Thanks. Take care :sparkle:
  • praxis
    Do you stand on the toilet seat and squat? I'm just trying to form a visual.Hanover

I made a wooden platform that wraps around the bowl at a slight angle and large enough for the feet. It stands about six inches off the ground. And no, I don’t take it with me wherever I go. When I’m away from home you can form a visual of me sporting these…

cadc4060-de96-462b-ba20-26532281dcc4.0884147fa3774bc87b689aed358b0be7.jpeg?odnHeight=768&odnWidth=768&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Take care :sparkle:Amity

If I may be so bold as to share what I feel. For the second time a core family offered me Opiates for an injury I sustained three weeks ago. I was stunned and asked them if they realized what they were doing in offering a recovering Opiate addict a supply? Their answer was after 15 years sober that I would know when to say yes or no.
    Ownership, I get it but I have been very clear with my tribe to please not tempt me.
    Don't leave it on the counter or anything like that, please.
    So am I being weak and should be able to accommodate Opiates being around me?
    Or am I reinforcing a bold boundary that I know I have failed to be able to self control and the consequences of it?
  • Amity
    So am I being weak and should be able to accommodate Opiates being around me?ArguingWAristotleTiff

From what I've read about your life story, I don't think you are being weak at all.
    Quite the opposite. You, more than anyone else, know that relapse is always possible.
    You show great self-awareness. Also, care and thought for the present and future, based on past experience. You know what awaits if you don't stay away from temptation. You've been there and fought your way through it. Such an achievement :sparkle:

I am not an expert. I believe @Tom Storm has a wealth of experience in this area and will have a more informed response. Other than that, perhaps some family members need to be introduced to a Support Group who might reinforce the message.

Stay strong. Be good to yourself :flower:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    22mReplyOptions
    Amity

Thank you so much for your response :flower:
  • Tom Storm
    So am I being weak and should be able to accommodate Opiates being around me?
    Or am I reinforcing a bold boundary that I know I have failed to be able to self control and the consequences of it?
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

Good questions, Tiff. I think it is always best not to be hard on yourself. Terms like weakness are not useful and I think it is helpful to know your own limits and boundaries and triggers. That's a good thing and insightful. If you don't want substances around you that's totally legitimate and for many this is at the centre of their recovery. You know better than anyone what it is you need and it's perfectly ok to go about working to make that happen. Just accept that, unfortunately, people around you may not understand or they may be callous on occasions. That's their problem, not yours. Do what you need to do to stay in control. It's worth it.
  • Amity
    22mReplyOptions
    — Amity

Thank you so much for your response :flower:
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

You are most welcome. I don't know if this is a new 'feature' but gotta love the '22mReplyOptions' in the quote. Where did that come from :smile:

Who needs to look at number of 'likes' to know that someone is knowledgeable and trustworthy ?
    Quality response :100:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Good questions, Tiff. I think it is always best not to be hard on yourself. Terms like weakness are not useful and I think it is helpful to know your own limits and boundaries and triggers. That's a good thing and insightful. If you don't want substances around you that's totally legitimate and for many this is at the centre of their recovery. You know better than anyone what it is you need and it's perfectly ok to go about working to make that happen. Just accept that, unfortunately, people around you may not understand or they may be callous on occasions. That's their problem, not yours. Do what you need to do to stay in control. It's worth it.Tom Storm

Tom, Thank you for your time and understanding, you don't realize how valuable your input is on this as it is a very personal struggle but I have to remain strong to my boundaries.
    I have never thought of it as being the center of my sobriety just one that is so absolutely toxic that for me it needs to stay away from me and me from it.
    Every addiction I have slain, I have done solo and never really believed in any 12 Step program for myself though I understand it's power for others.
    A journey indeed :flower:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    You are most welcome. I don't know if this is a new 'feature' but gotta love the '22mReplyOptions' in the quote. Where did that come from :smile:Amity

I think it's how many minutes have passed since you posted and I responded. Maybe?

@Baden
    Maybe you can tell us what the '22mReplyOptions' stands for?
  • Baden

No idea. Strange days are upon us.
  • Shawn
    I wallow a lot, have depressions, anxiety, and take medication for them. I used to rant a lot about schizophrenia and somehow no longer feel ill due to the medications. I'm conserved at the moment and am looking forward to moving on from rehab to my next interesting time at another facility.
  • 180 Proof
    (NB: Still waiting for US FDA approval of one of the vaccines so I can get the stick without being a Big Pharma guinea pig for downstream side-effects ... yeah, I'm an anti-re: scientifically unapproved-vaxxer!)180 Proof
    Vaxxed.
  • Pinprick
    I’m in my mid-thirties and have asthma, low cholesterol, toenail fungus, obesity (maybe), astigmatism, and a heart murmur. Probably some mild undiagnosed mental illness(es) as well. Had rheumatic fever as a child also. No broken bones or surgeries except for a biopsy on an enlarged lymph node when I was little.
  • Jack Cummins
    I found this thread and I am just putting my current groan into it as a means of ventilation. I developed blurred vision in one eye and went to the optician last week and have inflammation and fluid behind the left eye. I have been referred to an eye consultant, but the appointment is not until Tues 31st. I can still see to read but I am trying to keep reading and writing to a minimum, which is why I am hardly writing on the forum. But, I am extremely stressed and afraid because I regard reading and writing as essential aspects of life.I do have some underlying vision problems, possibly genetic disorder, Coates' disease, which is rare but more common in infants.

Anyway, I have looked at the thread and see that a lot of people here do have a certain amount of difficulties. It is probably good to have this thread as while philosophy is important we are not disembodied beings, and we need to approach life, and ourselves, holistically.
  • Fluke
    Have you ever sat back and contemplated what food you crave right now? I mean just seriously run through your taste memory for both individual items and complete meals? I admit to being curious what your answers to this would be right now with you having long covid however don't feel you have to put them here. If you do this for yourself you might find it worthwhile backtracking the ethnobotany for your results. Not saying hoe in just saying maybe worth considering.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    memory for both individual items and complete meals? I admit to being curious what your answers to this would be right now with you having long covid however don't feelFluke

I'm sorry for interrupting but I was unaware of 180* had Covid-19.
    How are you doing my friend?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.