• shmik
    Nothing too serious, I have delayed sleep phase syndrome. My body naturally adapts to sleeping between ~4:30am and 12:30pm. Trying to work 9-5 for me is like a normal person living with a few hours of jetlag. After a couple weeks I start to become depressed and barely functional. With treatment I am now sleeping ~2am - 10am which is much better than before but I can't move my clock much earlier (there is some seasonal variation). It's not a problem for now as I'm back in uni and I can sleep fine when I don't need to get up early but afterwards it will be an issue again.

Also this is my brain.
    2w720y9.jpg
  • Michael
    Looks like an empty skull.
  • Baden
    No, there's definitely styrofoam in there. :P
  • shmik
    It may look empty but it feels heavy, worst of both worlds.

I actually find it pretty freaky to look at, feels like a large disconnect between the image and me.
  • swstephe
    These comparisons made me think of this comic:

f1d3fc19b7b00fc6c8ab84b450afffc2.jpg

Apparently I got PTSD from abuse, which turned into psoriasis, depression and OCD for a while, but I've managed to pull out of most of it with herbals and philosophy.
  • Shawn
    Depression, anxiety, and some elements from the subgroup of schizophrenia. All being managed by medication and a strong sense of faith in the power of reason. No suicidal thoughts though (thank-you God).

I wonder if anyone would have guessed(?)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I am far too worried about my two Dad's to even have time to think of myself. I have my step Dad here in Arizona HAVING to wait for an arbitrary date on the calendar for Medicare to cover his need for a three lead pacemaker put in to replace the one lead pacemaker he has. Agreed it takes time for the body to grow the stent into place but not 90 days. The reason he has to wait 90 days, as opposed to 60 days is because of Medicare's coverage and I can tell you that they are playing a game, knowing that there is a % of people that will not live to see that 90 days and a pacemaker placement of over 250k. I 'get it" but it's bullshit and all I can do is pray and spend all the time I can with him now because we are not sure he is going to make it to January. We had a garage sale two weeks ago at my parents house and I spent two days with them and saw him maybe 4 hours each day. He is gasping for breath but the Doctor is aware and still he has to wait. My Mom being a Trauma, Cardiac ICU nurse, as well as Hospice knows too much.

Now in Chicago where my bio Dad lives, was taken to the ER on Saturday because he couldn't move out of bed, which he is in 75% of the time, 100% loss of bladder control, Parkinson's, Manic Depressive at 73 yrs old. After being admitted for Pneumonia he was treated and has now been moved to an Care facility where over the next 2 weeks they will assess if he is in need of a full time home care nurse.

When I talked to him last night he told me had just had breakfast and he was waiting for the procedures to begin. When I pressed further, he could not come up with what procedures and I am panicking. I called his current wife and spoke with her and what she says and what I know to be true, such as coherency, are not matching. He was fine a week ago when I spoke with him at length. I thought Parkinson's was a body tremor issue, not a dementia issue. My Dad's wife said that word "dementia" for the first time associated with Parkinson's.

It matters for all the reasons it would impact anyone's family member but my Dad here in AZ has Parkinson's as well.

My Great Grandmother had early onset Alzheimer's as did my Grand Mother. My Mom (knock on wood) is going to outlive me, I swear because at 72 her brain is as sharp as a Nurses ever could be. So I thought 'dementia' was gone, at least for now in my life. I feel the world around me crumbling and am going to go read Parkinson's and see. :s
  • Soylent
    Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.

Diagnosed two weeks after my second daughter's birth at age 30 (4 years ago) although I had already suffered severe limitations in my motion and frequent loss of balance (and pretty much all the other typical symptoms of MS) as a strong indication that something was wrong. I have adapted to life with MS to be able to work and contribute very minimally in household maintenance and upkeep. My daughters, aged 5 and 3, don't seem to mind my disability and I am as active and present as I can be in both their lives. My wife has decided, for reasons I still cannot fathom, to ride it out with me and I am incredibly grateful for her. Other than that little thing, I'm healthy and relatively happy.
  • Thorongil
    Occasional hemorrhoids for me. Nothing else (though they are hella annoying).
  • BC
    Arthritis
    benign enlarged prostate
    bone spur on big toe
    depression
    glaucoma
    occasional basal cell skin cancer

Nothing too debilitating, thanks to medication, and much of it a result of being alive long enough to get it.
  • BC
    Occasional hemorrhoids for me. Nothing else (though they are hella annoying).Thorongil

"Far better to have hemorrhoids than to be one." Socrates
  • Thorongil
    Hmm, I don't really get it, but I suppose he's right!
  • BC
    After a closer examination of the ancient manuscript, I see that I mistranslated Old Soc. He said, "It's better to be a pain in the ass than to have one."
  • Thorongil
    Now there's a proper witticism! :D
  • Agustino
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention those... I get them too sometimes!
  • Thorongil
    They probably don't count as a serious medical issue. I've always been very fit and healthy, though I could be much younger than many of you, so the ravages of time will catch up to me sooner or later.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Why have you stopped taking care of any of them? :s
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Funds being thin seems to be a trend of a lot folks lately, including me so know that you are not alone in this pinch.
  • jorndoe
    I've been "diagnosed" with a tendency to stress out. Be it worrying about deforestation, or how well my better half's speech/presentation is going, or world war 3 (or running out of coffee at home). :) Nothing serious, though. But might explain getting gray hair.

And a wickedly annoying (and occasionally painful) case of sciatica. Did a lot of bicycling, running, and martial arts in the past. Apparently bicycling can, in part, cause this stuff, if you're prone to it already. My bicycle got stolen anyway, so no more of that per se.
  • BC
    deforestation
    world war 3
    running out of coffee at home
    jorndoe

My sympathies to you and your better half.

All three are approximately equivalent disasters, with the third having an edge. Though, the first and second could make the third a source of chronic and enduring suffering. Wage war and cut down the trees or not, but coffee above all else.

As for speeches and presentations... severe but short lived anxiety.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Four and a half year memory loss from age 3.5 - 8. Three violent memories that do exist I have dealt with thru therapy as an adult. Psychiatrist did not see beneficial reasons to go beyond regression therapy to bring up any other memories of that time. No pictures, no report cards, no memories.

Ulcerative Colitis diagnosed at age 13.

Hashimoto Thyroiditis diagnosed at age 19.

Dysthymia diagnosed at age 23.

2nd, 3rd and 4th degree burn covering left hand as a result of a faulty Gel candle, resulting in 30 days of debridement, 6 months to heal.

Opiate addiction on OxyContin for 2.5 yrs as a result of breaking my back in a high speed, high impact, horseback riding accident.
  • BC
    How fast was that horse going?

You've kind of been through the mill.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    256622_172894712772192_7121339_o.jpg
    Dasher was my partially broken Thoroughbred and we were going between 20 and 25 mph when we were approaching the fence you can see in the picture (which is a 6 rail fence, the arena we were in was a 4 rail fence) and he took a hard left, throwing me into a hard right, into and through the fencing, bending the rail I landed on into a right angle. Flown out by Life Flight to a Trauma center where it was determined that surgery was not an option and it was left to heal with pain control.
  • BC
    ...we were going between 20 and 25 mph and he took a hard leftArguingWAristotleTiff

See, horses are always pulling this sort of double-cross -- knowingly and with malice aforethought. The toll of death and injury mounts hideously, yet we consider le cheval such a good friend. If les chiens snuck up and bit their best friends as often as les chevals sneakily consign their riders to the tender mercies of gravity and momentum, we would not call them our best friends.

Le cheval harbors deep resentments about carting us and our stuff from place to place -- something that seems profoundly perverse to them, and they carefully observe opportunities to even the score--which dear devious Dasher duly did, leaving you in traction for months and an opium addict to boot. "SUCCESS!" he neighed.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    th_XVDFR7_BI.jpg
    It is said that if you stare long enough into the eye of a horse you will see the reflection of your soul~
    I have loved horses all my life and I still do. I am a horse lover and loved to ride but such as life is, we had to part ways to move on. Dasher needed a daily job so he is up in Northern AZ working for an old cowboy who needed a long distance horse to drive cattle. When he was with me, I rarely asked him to play the 'horsey' roll but when I did, he put on one hell of a show~ God what an amazing animal~ Beautiful soul~ (L)
  • _db
    I got glasses for driving today, so that was cool.
  • _db
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this whole "anxiety" thing. It is very irrational, circular, and debilitating. I'm in the middle of an obsessive compulsion that is quite bad. Pretty much all you can do in a situation like this is hold on for dear life and hope it ends relatively soon. I suppose the storm over the ocean can't last forever, but damn is it particularly vicious this round.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I have some sort of mental something. Been diagnosed w/ a handful of different things: bipolar, ocd w/ depression, borderline personality disorder, psychotic depression.

Whatever I actually have (& I'll spare you all the DSM-is-bogus rant), I definitely struggle with social anxiety, and that anxiety is usually linked to something I guess you could call obsession. At any time, I'm liable to get stuck in some weird thought loop that repeats itself. It's not always obsession with something disturbing (in fact they're usually nonsensical) it's more just that it shuts me in a self-enclosed rhythm which makes it impossible to access the emotional/conversational/social rhythms of the people around me. It's a bummer because I'm often charistmatic, witty etc. and good at making friends, but I never know when I'm gonna zone out like this, so I'm very hesitant to meet people for the second time. When I 'zone out' and there are people around who have met me on a good day, I feel pressure to hide what's happening, which makes me irritated, which makes me view those people as irritating, which makes me feel guilty, which makes me try to hide my irritation and so on and son.

So: I make good impressions, but then avoid. (Or, just as often, make bad impressions and avoid.)

Also, like jamalrob, I drink too much and suffer soul-shattering shame w/ my hangover.
  • _db
    I feel you when it comes to the obsessions. I can be a fun person to hang out with, but as soon as I get an obsession I tend to lose a lot of my vitality and zone out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.