• FreeEmotion
    Trumps most recent pardons; can any sane person doubt the viciousness of the man?
    — tim wood
    Hippyhead

The man won the most admired man award.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/29/trump-tops-list-of-most-admired-men-of-2020-poll/

Someone is crazy. Or maybe this world is filled with people who have the right to think differently? Concept?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I submit that Mr. Trump has successfully ruined the Republican Party. His attempts to crush the greatest democracy in the world under the guise of MAGA have resulted in the demise of one of its great parties. We shall see how much further he can go in his quest for ruination.
  • tim wood
    Merritt Garland, AG. Goosebumps!
  • Kenosha Kid
    Congress security seems rather slight for a centre of government of a powerful nation.

Ooh smoke outside the House! Shit's kicking off!
  • Baden
    MAGAt terrorists attacking Capitol. Bomb threats. Pence evacuated. Happy now, Republicans?
  • Wayfarer
    The capitol building has been occupied by demonstrators. The protest amounts to insurrection. If any of them are carrying weapons, it’s armed insurrection.

The mistake of acquitting Trump after impeachment last year is now abundantly clear.
  • Baden
    "The officer in the House chamber just told lawmakers they may need to duck under their chairs, adding that there are protestors in the rotunda of the US Capitol.

Lawmakers have been told to "be prepared" to relocate to cloakroom."

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/congress-electoral-college-vote-count-2021/index.html

But, but, let's just humour Trump some more.

(Fascists? Haha, you crazy libs.)
  • ssu
    Oh, no, that was sarcasm. :wink:Baden

The current problem in American politics in 2020-2021: you don't know when people are sarcastic or not.

And Trump, the TV bully, now getting a little bit frightened and tweeting:

Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!

You know, for Trump it's all a TV show, which doesn't matter in the end.
  • Wayfarer
    People need to be prosecuted over this. I don’t recall a worse spectacle in American politics than seeing brawling mobs smashing windows of the Capitol building and rampaging through it. Trumpism is showing its true colours, as if it weren’t already abundantly obvious.
  • Pantagruel
    People need to be prosecuted over this.Wayfarer
    Wouldn't that be Trump? Isn't inciting this pretty much in direct contravention to his oath of office?
  • Hanover
    I'm wondering how the 2 hour debate rule works. If a protestor comes in and disrupts everything for an hour or so, are the congressmen left with just a few short minutes to argue their bullshit, or does a guy come in with a digital clock like in soccer and let the crowd know how much time has been added due to delays during the game.
  • Wayfarer
    Wouldn't that be Trump? Isn't inciting this pretty much in direct contravention to his oath of office?Pantagruel

I think Trump should be arrested and stripped of his powers immediately.
  • Michael
    I'm wondering how the 2 hour debate rule works. If a protestor comes in and disrupts everything for an hour or so, are the congressmen left with just a few short minutes to argue their bullshit, or does a guy come in with a digital clock like in soccer and let the crowd know how much time has been added due to delays during the game.Hanover

I hope they get their orange slices during the break.
  • Hanover
    People need to be prosecuted over this. I don’t recall a worse spectacle in American politics than seeing brawling mobs smashing windows of the Capitol building and rampaging through it. Trumpism is showing its true colours, as if it weren’t already abundantly obvious.Wayfarer

Oh come now, there's been far worse behavior, but that's not to say that this behavior isn't especially bad. The streets burn every time there is any feeling of unfairness, real or perceived. Everyone always feels justified when they riot. What you're experiencing is how a riot looks when you find the rioters entirely unjustified.
  • Wayfarer
    there's been far worse behavior,Hanover

Really? When was the last time the US Capitol Building was stormed by armed insurrectionists stopping the certification of Electoral College votes? Perhaps you could jog my memory?
  • Hanover
    Really? When was the last time the US Capitol Building was stormed by armed insurrectionists stopping the certification of Electoral College votes? Perhaps you could jog my memory?Wayfarer

If you're just saying that this is the worst example of protestors acting out at the capital, then maybe it is. I don't know. But if you're saying this is the worst example of violent behavior against the US government, I'm saying it's not.
  • ssu
    Oh come now, there's been far worse behavior, but that's not to say that this behavior isn't especially bad. The streets burn every time there is any feeling of unfairness, real or perceived. Everyone always feels justified when they riot. What you're experiencing is how a riot looks when you find the rioters entirely unjustified.Hanover
    Now you sound like BLM supporters in the summer when explaining the looting.
  • Streetlight
    There is of course, nothing inherently wrong with people storming capitol buildings to kick out shitty governments. When this happens in other, browner countries, it's usually hailed as some kind of exercise of democratic discontent. It just so happens that this particular attempt was orchastrated by a bunch of incompetants looking to defend a monied wanker.
  • Echarmion
    Now you sound like BLM supporters when explaining the looting.ssu

That's the point, I think.

What's different is the motivation and the symbolism, not the fact that there is violence.
  • Wayfarer
    CNN is now declaring it an insurrection. I just captured a screen shot of a MAGA troll sitting in the Speakers Chair.
  • ssu
    Really? When was the last time the US Capitol Building was stormed by armed insurrectionists stopping the certification of Electoral College votes? Perhaps you could jog my memory?Wayfarer
    Puerto Rican activists in 1954 showed the example: see 1954 US Capitol shooting.

Boston-Daily-Globe_Mar.-2-1954-p.-15_1.jpg

Of course then it was a normal day...
  • frank
    CNN is now declaring it an insurrectionWayfarer

I think it's just QAnon doing what they think Trump asked them to do
  • Echarmion
    There is of course, nothing inherently wrong with people storming capitol building to kick out shitty governments.StreetlightX

In the same sense that shooting someone on the street isn't inherently wrong. It all depends on who is doing it, and more importantly why.
  • Streetlight
    Sure.

The CIA must be rather upset right now. Only they get to orchastrate attempted violent coups against democratically elected governments in overexploited countries. These people are stepping on their turf.
  • Hanover
    Now you sound like BLM supporters in the summer when explaining the looting.ssu

I'm explaining why watching looters pisses people off, but I'm not suggesting a moral equivalence, nor am I suggesting that it's all subjective, as if some looters aren't objectively right and others wrong.
  • Baden
    Cockroach Kevin McCarthy on CBS just now, part of the election-denial crowd that gleefully made this happen, calling for bringing people together. :vomit:
  • Baden
    On the positive side the GOP is totally fucked now. :party: (Sorry @Hanover, you know I'm right).
  • praxis
    Now would probably be a good time for Trump to concede, but yeah, it’s Trump.
  • Michael
    On the positive side the GOP is totally fucked now. :party: (Sorry Hanover, you know I'm right).Baden

It's an unfortunate reality that voters don't have a very good memory. Except when it comes to the Liberal Democrats and tuition fees.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.