• Maw
    That reminds me of a certain advertisement Trump bought 30 years ago.
  • praxis
    What sort of sense does this make?creativesoul

Not a sense thing but a feel thing, I imagine, to the Trump supporters. Empathy can be a powerful ally.
  • 180 Proof
    Wow
    Interesting responses....
    Be very careful what you wish for...
    ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Advice I bet the Donald has regretted not taking since 2016.

Don't be the sort of person who wishes someone dead.

I wish Trump a speedy cremation.

Ah tits
    Kenosha Kid
    :rofl:
  • Pfhorrest
    I don't want anyone to suffer or die.

Minimizing that is why I want Trump and those like him out of office.

If Trump getting sick gets him out of office, that's great. Otherwise, it's pointless suffering for no good.

I hope he recovers fully and lives a long comfortable life in some private capacity where he can't create problems for anyone else ever again.
  • Mr Bee
    ...in some private capacity where he can't create problems for anyone else ever again.Pfhorrest

That's a nice way of saying prison.
  • praxis
    Instead he complained to the moderator and the crowd and said a few meek comebacks.darthbarracuda

He spoke directly to the camera, notably, and I’ve seen reports that it was very positive with undecideds. I don’t think Trump is capable of that approach.

I get what you’re saying and think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Biden is uncomfortably feeble both physically and mentally due to age.
  • Relativist
    I don't want anyone to suffer or die.

Minimizing that is why I want Trump and those like him out of office.

If Trump getting sick gets him out of office, that's great. Otherwise, it's pointless suffering for no good.
    Pfhorrest
    Trump is the guy whose example and vocal support encouraged people to not wear masks, and ridiculed others (e.g. Biden) for wearing one.

Perhaps Trump's suffering will get more of his supporters to take COVID precautions seriously. That would be a greater good. Of course, it's possible Trump will have a very mild case and start encouraging mask use, but I'm skeptical. There's a good chance his bravado will increase.
  • Pfhorrest
    That's a nice way of saying prison.Mr Bee

I wasn’t thinking specifically of that, but yeah, that would do.
  • Streetlight
    Wishing Trump well or denouncing those hoping he dies/suffers implies that he exists in some sort of moral vacuum; that he has had no actual impact on people's lives in the last 4 years, not to mention his entire lifetime.Maw

You can always spot a liberal from how as soon as things stray from any sense of what is 'normal' and polite, all they care about is that things go back to 'normality'. Hundreds and thousands dead and countless lives ruined is just a statistic in a game to be played within well defined boundaries. Anything anomolous, and it's mask-off solidarity with whatever fascist-wannabe. Had Hitler got sick in the middle of a fucking putsch they would wish him well.
  • BitconnectCarlos

Streetlight, what is it exactly that you want in terms of government-type? You're not a liberal, but you say you're not a fascist either. Do you support democracy? Do you just want very considerable restrictions on free speech?
  • Mikie
    Ginsberg dies, tax returns are finally found, debate is a debacle, and now Trump gets Covid -- all while a pandemic rages, wildfires consume California, Argentina, and even the Arctic, and there's still loads of civil unrest. We're one month away from even a glimmer of hope, but it may already be too late for some of these issues.

If rationality prevails, one of the biggest concerns is that 45% or so of the population who support Trump will still be with us, as will the virus and climate change. But equally important: so will conspiracy theories and the rapid spread of general misinformation.

Not only do the Democrats need to win, and win big, but once they're in office they'd better very quickly start passing New Deal-level reforms, or we're essentially doomed.
  • Streetlight
    but once they're in office they'd better very quickly start passing New Deal-level reforms, or we're essentially doomed.Xtrix

Doomed it is, then.
  • Mikie
    Doomed it is, then.StreetlightX

Probably. But even passing Green New Deal legislation is something. Whether they abolish the filibuster, pack the court, etc., who knows -- but I hope they do.
  • NOS4A2

Expressing sympathy for Trump and denouncing those who don't is just vacuous moral signaling; an attempt to display moral high ground when it in fact signals the opposite.

This is true. We’ve known for quite some time the evil in some people’s hearts. It’s like getting mad at a snake for being poisonous. The embarrassing part, I suppose, is that their evil exceeds that of the one they hate.
  • Streetlight
    But even passing Green New Deal legislation is somethingXtrix

The same GND of which Biden explicitly said "is not his plan" and which he "does not support" just 3 days ago?
  • frank
    they'd better very quickly start passing New Deal-level reforms, or we're essentially doomed.Xtrix

Doomed? How?
  • Mikie
    The same GND of which Biden explicitly said "is not his plan" and which he "does not support" just 3 days ago?StreetlightX

True, but it's ambitious enough and influenced by the GND.
  • Mikie
    Doomed? How?frank

In countless ways, but climate change being the major one.
  • Streetlight
    *shrug* Biden's corporate trash and the idea he and his party might stand as any kind of bulwark against climate change is wishful thinking in the extreme.

The only thing worse than not instituting the GND is using its name ("GND legislation") to institute some milquetoast 'reforms' and coopting progressive sane energy to pretend like it's making a difference.

That all said it would still be good if Trump choked to death on his own spittle.
  • frank
    In countless ways, but climate change being the major one.Xtrix

The US puts out less than 20% of total human generated CO2, so we aren't in control of that. Nobody is.

It would be great if we followed China's lead, which would mean following through on the agenda Obama laid out a long time ago.
  • Mr Bee
    The US puts out less than 20% of total human generated CO2, so we aren't in control of that. Nobody is.frank

The US is the most influential nation on the planet and the fact is Trump pulling out of the Paris Accord and leaving a vacuum of leadership on climate action has led to other countries following suit. Even if they won't outright admit it, they see the US's inaction as an excuse to not do anything themselves as seen in last year's COP25.

I don't know how far Biden would go to implement legislation on climate change but at least he would be better on the world stage than the guy who thinks we should rake the forests to stop forest fires.
  • frank
    The US is the most influential nation on the planet and the fact is Trump pulling out of the Paris Accord and leaving a vacuum of leadership on climate action has led to other countries following suit. Even if they won't outright admit it, they see the US's inaction as an excuse to not do anything themselves as seen in last year's COP25.Mr Bee

The US is influential by virtue if its military, it's economy, and it's culture. The US has no special influence over CO2 production.

Meanwhile China has committed to becoming CO2 neutral by 2060. However repelled we may be by dictatorship, we have to admit that in the face of climate change, it works better.

The reason we should drop talk of "doom" is that it isn't based on science. When that's the primary message coming from climate change acceptors, it undermines their cause. The climate is changing. We will change with it.

at least he would be better on the world stage than the guy who thinks we should rake the forests to stop forest fires.Mr Bee

Controlled burns are used to clear fuel on the ground. California didn't do controlled burns this year because it was too dry.

California has always been dry. Forests have always burned. Climate change made the problem worse, but it didn't create the underlying conditions that gave rise to fires.
  • Banno
    However repelled we may be by dictatorship, we have to admit that in the face of climate change, it works better.frank

SO dictatorship is better than oligarchy? Where does Democracy sit?
  • Mr Bee
    The US is influential by virtue if its military, it's economy, and it's culture.The US has no special influence over CO2 production.frank

I'd say given it's leverage over such matters like the economy that it has alot of influence over things like the emission of CO2.

Meanwhile China has committed to becoming CO2 neutral by 2060. However repelled we may be by dictatorship, we have to admit that in the face of climate change, it works better.frank

Unfortunately I have to agree there. It's hard to solve a long term problem like climate change when people keep electing idiots like Bolsonaro and Trump into power every now and then. Of course's there's also the nightmare scenario of a dictatorship which is dead set on denying science and making bad problems worse, which hopefully the US doesn't fall into.

The reason we should drop talk of "doom" is that it isn't based on science. When that's the primary message coming from climate change acceptors, it undermines their cause. The climate is changing. We will change with it.frank

Though I do think that a more positive message on climate change and adopting more sustainable technologies and practices would be more effective, I wouldn't say that the talk of "doom" is unwarranted since the scientific projections right now are incredibly bleak. We're already past the point of no return and humanity is gonna have to bear the brunt of their actions to a certain extent. It's just a matter of how much they can mitigate it right now before things get better.
  • praxis
    Streetlight, what is it exactly that you want in terms of government-type? You're not a liberal, but you say you're not a fascist either. Do you support democracy? Do you just want very considerable restrictions on free speech?BitconnectCarlos

Not liberal, not a fascist, dubious taste for democracy, and a dislike of free speech. I got it...
    2d7.gif
  • Streetlight
    Oh I absolutely believe in democracy. Specifically as one of those ideas which would be nice if it were ever to be implemented.
  • Maw
    Wishing Trump a speedy recovery so he can continue killing us
  • praxis

I was being facetious of course.
  • Streetlight
    :blush: I did like how it was "you're not a liberal... but you're ALSO not a fascist (!!!!)"

hffexr01r0reghoi.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.