• praxis

Yup. I enjoyed some of Biden’s terminology though, like “Putin’s pup.” Glad that I wasn’t completely sober while watching.
  • Relativist
    Biden's performance wasn't memorable, but Trump's was. What a prick!
  • NOS4A2
    Trump’s consistent pissing on the political theater is something I love about him, but he interrupted too much. Biden won in my estimation. Chris Wallace was his shill.
  • NOS4A2

You can, a black guy in Milwaukee admits that he was deterred from voting by a fake anti Clinton add in the report.

Now we know where the real fake news was.

Was the ad standing in the way of the voting booth or something?
  • BC
    I liked that Biden told trump to "shut up". I'd have preferred "drop dead" but that would probably be considered 'inappropriate'. I couldn't stand watching the thing. Trump behaved like the insufferable boor that he is, plus being a lying, thieving, knavish scoundrel and going down hill from there.
  • creativesoul
    Be the change you want to see...

Biden is better off patiently waiting with an incredulous stare when Trump is being Trump. Although, if the only reply to the insistent interruptions and rules violations were "Will you just shut up?", that would be appropriate as well. His mimicking of that juvenile behaviour was ill-advised.
  • Pinprick
    The real question is whether or not this will affect anyone’s vote. I seriously doubt it. We know who these men are, and they did nothing to change anyone’s mind about them.
  • creativesoul
    The sad part is that these two men are actual candidates for the presidency, and neither seemed capable of keeping it together enough to participate in what ought be a formal debate with formal rules. It's more like schoolyard kids...
  • creativesoul
    Bernie or even Obama would have wiped the floor with Trump. Granted, it would have been two entirely different methods, but both would.
  • Pinprick
    Yep...pretty embarrassing for the good ol’ US of A. But not surprising in the least. MTV needs to do a celebrity death match episode with these two. Trump can be portrayed as an infant, and Biden as an undead corpse. :lol:
  • Streetlight
    MTV needs to do a celebrity death match episode with these two. Trump can be portrayed as an infant, and Biden as an undead corpse.Pinprick

I thought this just happened on CSPAN tho.
  • creativesoul

I think Biden has it in him to not be dragged into the mud. I hope he exercises better self-regulation in the next two, because the facts are quite simply not on Trump's side here. If it's even remotely about the character of the candidate, it's an easy win for anyone who can just stay above Trump's emotionally unregulated outbursts... the spoiled five-year-old mentality that he has.
  • jorndoe
    (y), the highlight of the quarrel.
    Trump interrupting again, and Biden saying

Will you shut up, man?Joe Biden to Donald Trump

:D

Should be played every time Trump rambles?
  • Benkei
    https://gdpr-info.eu/art-9-gdpr/

Perhaps ethnicity is inferred from other data, so this data was never disclosed and that might be how this was avoided but still. Bloody insane. Can you still select your race in Facebook? 15 years ago when I was still using it, that was still possible. I quit it because of all the privacy issues already surrounding Facebook then.

I really hope they will quit the EU. Parasites.
  • creativesoul
    If Biden just refused to acknowledge Trump, sat in silence when being interrupted allowing the moderator to quiet the manchild, but instead just continue to speak at/to the camera in a calm sobering voice about Trump and all the damage he's caused to the overwhelming majority while tremendously benefitting the uber-wealthy, it would be more than enough to leave a lasting impression.
  • Punshhh
    Trump's comments about voter fraud showed desperation. No one could take that seriously, also it shows contempt laid bare for the electoral process.
  • Baden
    Trump says white supremacists and neo-Nazis should 'stand by'. No more denying that Republicans have embraced fascism, please.
  • Baden
    Summary: Biden stayed conscious and let Trump destroy himself, so he won.
  • Hippyhead
    I get my news on NPR pretty much exclusively, so I hadn't seen Biden in the flesh for some time. He seemed sharp enough (only watched first half) but wow, looking pretty old there fella. Not that I should talk. Trump looked even more satanic than I recalled, which surprised me as I didn't know that was possible. Gotta say, out of 300+ million people it's sad that this is the best we can do. Where's the ban button when we really need it?

To those of you who watched the whole thing, did they mention nuclear weapons even once?
  • Pfhorrest
    Part of me wants to attribute that comment as Trump flubbing his lines again and not knowing the difference between “stand back” and “stand by” (he frequently does that thing of saying the wrong word then correcting himself and acting like it didn’t happen) or not realizing the implications of what he’s saying (like his “there won’t be a transferral” comments that maybe plausibly just mean he wants to sound confident that he will win).

Another part of me thinks that plausible deniability is just too convenient.

I’m reminded of a thought I had about Boris Johnson a while back, when it seemed to me that Boris was pretending to be a Trump-like idiot as a manipulative strategy, which makes him seem smarter than Trump since he’s only pretending to be an idiot. But then I thought: I can tell Boris is pretending. If he was a better manipulator, I wouldn’t be able to tell. He would just seem like a genuine idiot... like Trump does.
  • fdrake
    Perhaps ethnicity is inferred from other data, so this data was never disclosed and that might be how this was avoided but still. Bloody insane. Can you still select your race in Facebook? 15 years ago when I was still using it, that was still possible. I quit it because of all the privacy issues already surrounding Facebook then.Benkei

I don't have an account any more. I had a look, it doesn't seem like an attribute someone can fill in on their page any more. Regardless, would making the account and filling out the ethnicity information count as consent?
  • Streetlight
    Trump says white supremacists and neo-Nazis should 'stand by'.Baden

This was probably the wildest bit about the whole thing. And message received, it seems:

ouncct8gpssiun9s.jpg

*Joe Biggs: Proud Boy leader and supporter of date rape and violence against sexual minorities.
  • Benkei
    Nope. Not explicit enough.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I have to say this is all very informative, this referring to this thread...

Regarding the debates, I decided not to watch (I mean honestly, when was the last time any actual content was stated in a debate?), but rather watch the part that matters.. the fallout.

In politics the cause is of less value than the effect; thus fallout is what matters. (Dogs will wag.)

So far my take is that the candidates must have acted like typical modern Americans, locked in a battle of egos, simply yelling at one another in a very rude and disruptive manner in an effort to dig divides and foxholes even deeper... for the sake of the greater good.

I take it for the viewing public this was simply a '(not so) fun house mirror' being held up to the general pubic and they seemed not to like their own reflections. I'm not too sure how this should be considered disappointing and I think it could be a good thing, but I have to wait for the spin to be spun; thus hope dies eternal.

2020 has been really weird. I'm not happy about Covid-19, but I am happy it cancelled my trips to the USA and I hope that I have no reason to compel me to fly over that way anytime soon.

I know I never supported the notion of a wall being built by the USA, that Mexico was suppose to pay for, but honestly I could get behind the rest of the world financing a dome over the entire USA to keep America's shit held within. A live video feed from inside the Dumber Dome would be entertaining... kind of a 'Hunger Games' meets up with the 'Purge', but with the cast of 'Idiocracy' rather than 'Mad Max'.

Let's face it... it would be funny if it wasn't real, but America, with it's built in sense of denial of whatever is uncomfortable and inconvenient, isn't really well suited for reality TV.

Anyway... thanks for the thread and all the 'information'. It helps keep my travel advisory updated. ;)
  • Baden

Yes, although I reckon they got that message a long time ago. Probably the only thing Trump is honest about is his support for white supremacists and neo Nazis. And Republicans love it. Strange world.
  • Streetlight
    Probably the only thing Trump is honest about is his support for white supremacists and neo Nazis.Baden

You could see it in real time, the cogs turning - "how do I not do this?"

Before, of course, eventually settling on telling said white supremacists to stand by. Brave little contrarian, he is.
  • Hippyhead
    According to my wife who watched the entire debate, nuclear weapons were not mentioned once.

Presidential debate. One of these guys will have the power to destroy the world. We can't be bothered to talk about that, and neither can they.
  • 180 Proof
    @t-minus 34 days

tr45h encourages white supremacist terrorism:

Proud Boys? Stand back and stand by. — Putin's covIDIOT Bitch
  • fdrake

What is necessary to count as explicit enough?
  • ssu
    Presidential debate. One of these guys will have the power to destroy the world. We can't be bothered to talk about that, and neither can they.Hippyhead
    In any way, the whole debate was not very presidential.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.