• fdrake
    What I find rather incredible is that you can collect "race" data in the first place and then even share it with third parties. This would be so incredibly illegal in the EU it wouldn't even be contemplated.Benkei

It already happened to EU citizens didn't it?

Facebook lets you target people based on ethnicity. It included it as a targeting demographic explicitly in their ad workflow for clients thingybob. Despite that, it does not elicit ethnographic the information from users on their profiles, it merely infers ethnicity from their usage. If you can target ads to anti-semites explicitly, they will target based on how you're classified by their algorithms. You may be able to elicit ethnicity information by designing a survey that elicits it, then it gets stored and identified with the user etc...

Christopher Wylie's on the record saying Cambridge Analytica used essentially the same targeting methodology for Brexit campaigning as for Trump. Same Facebook data mining and targeting bollocks.
  • creativesoul

I thought the same thing... having watched a few documentaries.
  • Punshhh
    It means that the 2016 election in the US, the EU referendum in the UK, in the same year, gave false results. UK Channel 4 broke the story on Cambridge Analytica in 2017 and exposed the covert manipulation of these elections via Facebook, before most people had realised what was going on.
  • ssu
    But not the long history of racism in the US, Lord no!Kenosha Kid
    How the war on drugs has been implemented can be argued as part of how systemic racism continues, but anyway...
  • jorndoe
    If I remember right, during the last election debates, Trump more or less threatened Clinton (on TV) due to something about an email server they had at home that might have received confidential emails. Don't recall his words offhand, but something like "Oh we'll be looking into that alright".

Why ain't anyone taking a good hard look at Trump's tax stuff and reporting back? Isn't this kind of relevant for a leader of a civilized society? :brow:
  • Relativist
    Would anyone care to make any predictions about what we might see in tonight's debate? I predict that fact-checkers will be working overtime tomorrow.
  • tim wood
    Deflection, non sequitor, straw man, & etc., etc., etc. Freedom of speech has, imo, intrinsic value. The speech itself? Not so much. The relationship of shovel to what is being shoveled. I am not going to ask you what you're shoveling, nos4; I have language for that. But what do you think it's worth?
  • Maw
    What I find rather incredible is that you can collect "race" data in the first place and then even share it with third parties. This would be so incredibly illegal in the EU it wouldn't even be contemplated.

All the more reason we should avoid having our data stored in the US or even handled by companies established there. The only protection is to make sure your data is encrypted in transit and in storage.
    Benkei

Unfortunately my country is run by geriatrics who, when given the opportunity to press, criticize and make these types of demands of tech industries, would rather ask Zuckerberg why their grandchild won't friend them on Facebook.
  • tim wood
    Would anyone care to make any predictions about what we might see in tonight's debate? I predict that fact-checkers will be working overtime tomorrow.Relativist

I cannot understand why Biden is debating. My fantasy is that he observes that debating a liar is pointless; that his own policies are easily found on line and in his speeches (assuming they are); that the choice in this election is between America and Trump, one or the other, and that the audience is invited to watch a liar in action but that he, Biden, has better things to do, and walks off the stage.

Debating Trump - there's a metaphor for it, but not at hand - like wrestling a pig in a mudpuddle.
  • Streetlight
    I cannot understand why Biden is debating.tim wood

Biden is debating because the American masses need their fill of circus performance. Two clowns on stage, can you not be entertained?
  • tim wood
    Alas and woe! I can neither disagree nor be entertained. Even if Biden drools his way through he is still the only choice - Trump not being a choice but rather the disaster looming in default of a choice. Which way do you vote, StreetlightX? For I do not think you're a handwringer who whines that they can't vote for either.
  • Relativist
    I cannot understand why Biden is debatingtim wood
    Debates are typically good for the underdog, and bad or neutral for the guy on top. Biden's on top, so he could possibly lose votes. On the other hand, he might have lost more votes if he ducked the debates.

What I hope Biden does is to behave like an adult. The contrast will be stark, and the stylistic difference may sway a few undecided voters.
  • Maw
    I hope Biden challenges Trump to a push-up contest
  • Benkei
    For contrast with Donny. Check it from 12:50.

• JerseyFlight

That's hilarious. The Left always think Trump is going down. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he won the election.
  • Baden
    Debate popcorn ready. Biden only needs to stay conscious to win. So it's 50/50, I reckon.
  • Maw
    Starting with two shots and a beer
  • 180 Proof
    https://youtu.be/c3o8-bcfFvE :smirk:

Well, Bernie he gone, he been gone two nights
    I ain't seen Bernie since night before last
    I want to get drunk till I'm off of my mind ...
    — John Lee Hooker
  • Maw
    :cool: Got the bourbon, got the beer, no scotch though :confused:
  • Maw
    oh my god this is awful
  • VagabondSpectre
    Here's the deal...

We're fucked...
  • _db
    Trump's braggadocio is in full swing
  • Changeling
    why? What's happening? I'm working so can't watch
  • _db
    Trump is steamrolling Biden and Biden isn't putting up a fight. It's bad.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Trump's nasty and often semi-coherent rambling is practically unchallenged, and Biden is mostly just vacillating between silence, anger, and saying "here's the deal" or "look". I had to turn it off rather than watch Biden sleep through the thorough gumming Trump has mustered.

It's a halfwit against a nitwit, and one of them is going to be president.
  • Maw
    Well I think that was a bad performance for both, but I think Trump looked worse while providing less substance.
  • _db
    Moderator should have been a woman
  • Maw
    Asking other members to do a coup on us
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.