• Benkei
    Well, Trumpet. You could downplay the risk to avoid a panic AND take action to avoid the worst. The problem is he recognised the danger and didn't do anything.
  • Baden
    Well, thank goodness we avoided panic because that might have killed zero people whereas COVID only killed 200,000!
  • Mr Bee
    And at the risk of being called a Trumpet, I would like to point out that he added he does not want to create a panic.Derukugi

In the stock market.

Trump has no problem scaring people about imaginary caravans carrying strong men who are up to no good and diseases like he did in 2018. Oddly enough we have them now in 2020 but they're not coming from Mexico and alot of them are carrying MAGA flags .

The toilet paper runs were bad enough as they were.Derukugi

Oh well that justifies the 200K now dead then.

If had created a panic, the media would bash hin for that. Orangemanband if you do, orangemanbad if you don´t.Derukugi

Nice to know that Mr. Macho Alpha Male is so scared of what people may say about him that he'd let 200K people die like that. Real sign of a good leader.
  • NOS4A2
    More peace in the Middle East. A bunch of know-nothing, inexperienced rubes did more to secure peace in a few years than decades of smooth-talking intellectuals.

Bahrain has become the latest Arab nation to agree to normalize ties with Israel as part of a broader diplomatic push by President Donald Trump and his administration to fully integrate the Jewish state into the Middle East.

Trump announced the agreement on Friday, following a three-way phone call he had with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa. The three leaders also issued a brief six-paragraph joint statement, attesting to the deal.

Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner noted that the agreement is the second Israel has reached with an Arab country in 30 days after having made peace with only two Arab nations — Egypt and Jordan — in 72 years of its independence.

https://apnews.com/e21e371f1b406b209f93df5973d1fa46
  • Baden

Bahrain is another country that wasn't in conflict with Israel. I don't know who you expect to swallow the idea that this means anything whatsoever. You don't secure peace when there's already peace. It's just pure wallpaper for the uninformed.
  • DingoJones

Arent those pretty much symbolic?
  • Michael
    Make Israel Great Again. That's what Trump was elected to do. Who cares about all the harm he's causing to America, right?
  • NOS4A2

Isreal had formal diplomatic relations with only two Arab states, neighboring Egypt and Jordan, established in 1979 and 1994 respectively. Now we can include UAE and Bahrain.
  • Baden

Don't worry about it. It's some bullshit move so Trump can say "Peace in the Middle East" and be believed by idiots who know nothing about the Middle East or the countries and people's Israel is in direct military conflict with.
  • Michael
    Trump administration siphoned almost $4 million from 9/11 first responders fund

The Treasury Department began withholding parts of payments intended to cover medical services for firefighters, paramedics and emergency medical technicians suffering 9/11-related illnesses, according to documents obtained by the New York Daily News. These first responders who inhaled smoke and dust at Ground Zero in the aftermath of the terrorist attack, which killed almost 3,000 Americans, have suffered illnesses including cancers and systemic autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, in the almost two decades since.

The National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (NIOHS) oversees the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program. The Daily News reports that the Treasury started keeping some of the money earmarked for this program — to the tune of about half a million dollars each year in 2016 and 2017, and $630,000 each year in 2018 and 2019. And the Treasury has nearly tripled these extractions this year, withholding $1.447 million through late August, according to Dr. David Prezant, the program director.
  • Baden

Just crawl back under your rock. Nobody here is stupid enough to fall for this shit.

(I must admit though, I will slightly miss you when Trump gets annihilated and you slink off. There's a certain entertainment in watching you slither around).
  • Michael
    Nora Dannehy, Connecticut prosecutor who was top aide to John Durham’s Trump-Russia investigation, resigns amid concern about pressure from Attorney General William Barr

Federal prosecutor Nora Dannehy, a top aide to U.S. Attorney John H. Durham in his Russia investigation, has quietly resigned - at least partly out of concern that the investigative team is being pressed for political reasons to produce a report before its work is done, colleagues said.

Barr continuing his work as lapdog, politicizing an investigation, most likely in an attempt to damage Biden's campaign and help Trump's. Doing the very thing that Durham is investigating. What hypocrisy.
  • DingoJones

That in no way addresses my question. Was Israel at war with either of those nations, or at least military conflict of some kind? If not, it can hardly be considered making peace.
    It seems like a symbolic gesture, which isnt a bad thing but its not really due the framing of making peace you have given it. (But I may be ignorant of certain facts that make this a more significant move towards a peaceful middle east, hence my question).
  • JerseyFlight
    The left is in a much more serious situation than it thinks. Trump's cult is not going to play by the rules of democracy. If he loses he will not vacate the office. His cult will rush into the streets with guns and violence. Even if America manages to make it past this emotional torrent of idiot adolescence, say Biden makes it to office, the cult will still exist, likely to form a new nationalist party. I could be wrong, but this is not business as usual.
  • DingoJones

Well a symbolic gesture is better than nothing isnt it?
    Also, you seem mighty certain Trump will lose, i remember that kind of certainty the first time round. Aside from feelings and the notion only an idiot would vote for Trump this time around, what makes you so sure?
  • Baden

I watch the news and read the polls. Now something could change between now and November. Not impossible. But as things stand, everything points to a yuuuge loss. He's in a statistical tie in Georgia and Texas ffs.
  • DingoJones

Ok, but again I heard similar things the first time. Trump defies polls, are you saying that this time the polls are more accurate? Or is it that this time the polls are showing such a huge disparity that whatever black magic Trump wins with won’t be enough?
  • Baden

The polls were accurate the first time. Trump lost the popular vote within the margin of error of the aggregate polls. Hillary was up about three or four on election day in the polls and won by one or two, Biden is currently up 7.5. Electoral college deviation combined with margin of error can't make up for that difference.
  • NOS4A2

That in no way addresses my question. Was Israel at war with either of those nations, or at least military conflict of some kind? If not, it can hardly be considered making peace.
    It seems like a symbolic gesture, which isnt a bad thing but its not really due the framing of making peace you have given it. (But I may be ignorant of certain facts that make this a more significant move towards a peaceful middle east, hence my question).

You never asked if Israel was at war with Bahrain. You asked if the move was symbolic. It isn’t. It’s official.

Have you heard of the Arab-Israeli conflict? It’s a long and bloody one.
  • ssu
    Isreal had formal diplomatic relations with only two Arab states, neighboring Egypt and Jordan, established in 1979 and 1994 respectively. Now we can include UAE and Bahrain.NOS4A2

You never asked if Israel was at war with Bahrain.NOS4A2

If I recall that Bahrain or UAE never submitted forces to fight Israel. Saudi-Arabia contributed troops only during the Israeli war of Independence, if I remember correctly. Those who have fought Israel apart of it's neighbors have been Iraq, Libya, Saudi-Arabia, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, that I know.
  • DingoJones

It can be official and symbolic. If they arent at war, or some sort of military conflict then I dont see how its significant peace being made. Also, i WAS asking whether Israel was at war. Im not sure what else you think i would have been revering to except the two countries we were talking about.
    I know there is conflict with certain nations in the Arab world but not those two. So it seems more like a symbolic gesture, a way of showing other Arab nations peace can be achieved. Thats not unimportant but its not very groundbreaking, your making it sound like that history of conflict is being addressed and that peace with those two nations means peace/potential peace with the current conflicts. I dont think they have anything significant To do with the current conflicts.
  • DingoJones

My mistake, i was under the impression the polls ended up being wrong but I realise now I was going by a general sentiment that he couldnt/wouldnt win. So many people were so tragically wrong about Trumps chances of winning, but if you say they weren’t thinking that because of polls but for other reasons ill take your word for it.
    I dont think it matters who wins at this point, either result will have mobs of the losing side who have lost touch with reality in the streets doing who knows what. I seldom engage in apocalyptic predictions (they are always wrong) but I think its going to be blood in the streets the likes of which the US hasnt seen in modern times. You couldnt ask for a better recipe for armed and open conflict in the streets on a mass scale.
  • Baden

Unfortunately, the polarisation is extreme, so yes, trouble coming. This was a specific aim of the Russians BTW and one they pursued with vigour on social media (obviously, they're not responsible for it all, but they're rubbing their hands with glee right now).
  • DingoJones

And China. For some reason Russia gets all the attention but China isnt fucking around. They are a much bigger threat, with much more influence and resources, only they didnt experience the same level of setback as Russia did. They’ve been chugging along towards whatever plans they have, enjoying the less attention being paid to them.
    Don’t get me wrong, Russia has been able to get alot done too but China seems to have a better long term plan and are just as ruthless.
    Sadly, the US population has made themselves an easier and easier target. Wheres the American, country first unity theyre supposed to have? I know its kind of a chicken or the egg thing, but I cant help but wonder how effective flaming tensions would have been if the US politicians weren’t already using that as a campaign strategy.
  • Baden

How many Israelis have been killed by Bahraini or UAE forces? And vice versa? Zero. Now please piss off.
  • NOS4A2

If I recall that Bahrain or UAE never submitted forces to fight Israel. Saudi-Arabia contributed troops only during the Israeli war of Independence, if I remember correctly. Those who have fought Israel apart of it's neighbors have been Iraq, Libya, Saudi-Arabia, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, that I know.

Bahrain is a member of the Arab League, which in 1967 issued the Khartoum Resolution: “no peace with Israel, no recognition of Israel, no negotiations with it”.

In 2002, the Arab League declared the Arab Peace Initiative, which Prince Abdullah said was based on two issues: “ normal relations and security for Israel in exchange for full withdrawal from all occupied Arab territories, recognition of an independent Palestinian state with al-Quds al-Sharif as its capital, and the return of refugees.”

I’m not saying the end of some imaginary war is over, but that progress is being made in a voluntary, diplomatic process between the Arab League and Israel, the likes of which could offer economic and diplomatic stability to the entire region, and in my opinion throw water on an ancient sectarian and racial feud.
  • Streetlight
    Imagine - Trump can take credit for some non-event like Bahrain-Isreal but when it comes to near 200k dead on his doorstep it's 'BuT iTs ThE StATeS ReSpOnSiBiLiTY'. These fucking propagandists.
  • Streetlight
    Also at this point I'm perplexed at how any American can give a shit about 9/11 when you have the equivalent of one every 3 days for the last couple of months. I guess American deaths brought about by American hands are harder to gave a shit about. The country would invade someone if the state apparatus wasn't already captured by a bunch of corporates milking the population for all they're worth. Who needs oil when you can trade in a population of deliberately cultivated idiots?
  • Maw
    Also at this point I'm perplexed at how any American can give a shit about 9/11 when you have the equivalent of one every 3 days for the last couple of monthsStreetlightX

America's response to 9/11 was far worse than 9/11 itself - more than twice the amount of Americans died in Afghanistan and Iraq, over half a million citizens of those countries have died in the resulting wars, and at least 37 million people have been displaced as a result of the 'War on Terror'. The world, would have been far better if this country did literally nothing in response to 9/11.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.