• schopenhauer1
    I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to divide the screen into two sections- a bigger pane and smaller one.. The bigger pane would have the actual debate between two participants, and then a running commentary from the audience can be had in the smaller pane?
  • Pfhorrest
    Download link for Firefox is broken now, got a newer one?
  • zookeeper
    What I would really, really like is to block myself from seeing the threads of a particular category entirely. Some of the active threads there are full of the kind of hateful bullying that does nothing but anger me, yet as long as they're right there one click away on the All Discussions page, I can't seem to help myself.

Improving my self control would, of course, be another option.

And actually, before pressing Post Comment I did get a browser extension to inject this on the whole site:
    a[title="Politics and Current Affairs"],
    a[title="Politics and Current Affairs"] + div {
        transform: scale(0);
    }

...which kind of works but not perfectly, so the aforementioned would still be a handy feature to have. Or if moderators' tools allow blocking a person from seeing a specific category, then perhaps they could do so on request?
  • Pfhorrest
    Download link for Firefox is broken now, got a newer one?
  • Outlander

He who does not seek to understand and tolerate the system will never change it and so will remain a ward to it.

No. You must face what is not desired to be faced if you wish to overcome what has not yet been.

It's all very philosophical.

Anyway. Kind of dumb but maybe some basic thinking game you can play with others here? Like Chess, Scrabble, What Am I Describing?, or something. Where you can initiate a session and people can see and maybe join .. think itd be a fun and much needed relief from the nonstop.. everything. While still being somewhat productive. I dunno.
  • Banno
    What about a link for reporting issues directly to Mods -

How do I share an abusive PM so that the perp can be dealt with?
  • Banno
    There's also somewhat urgent Mod attention needed, here.
  • Wheatley
    How do I share an abusive PM so that the perp can be dealt with?Banno
    I’m pretty sure you can add a moderator to that conversation. I’m not sure if the moderators want you doing that though.
  • Banno
    ah - might work. I'll try it.
  • Wheatley
    No mods online now. :lol:
  • Banno
    Noticed that. @jamalrob was the most recent, so i've included him.

Straight to god!
  • Hanover
    In the event of an emergency, log out and dial 911.
  • Banno
    Depends where you are. It' "000" here.
  • _db
    Can we get a drinking coffee emoji?
  • _db
    Tea works too.
  • Noble Dust
    Can a feature be integrated where any thread that doesn't fit ones personal conception of what real philosophy is gets moved to The Lounge? Based on personal preference parameters that one sets when one joins?
  • Pfhorrest
    There's also somewhat urgent Mod attention needed, here.Banno

Seeing how that’s deleted already, I’m curious what was so urgent there.
  • Michael
    If you donate I'll tell you.
  • jorndoe
    Can we get a drinking coffee emoji?darthbarracuda

It's implicit. ;)
  • Banno
    Seeing how that’s deleted already, I’m curious what was so urgent there.Pfhorrest
    SO - it was dealt with, and you want to know why it was dealt with?

It was a child revealing personal information on a public forum.
  • Pfhorrest
    Yeah I was just curious what the big deal was. Thanks.
  • bongo fury
    Mods could maybe correct spelling mistakes in thread titles?

Or might it ailenate people?
  • Jamal
    I always do when I see them.
  • bongo fury
    :grin: :cool:
  • Outlander
    Was going to make a thread about this as far as the idea as it really wouldn't be a "feature" that could carry over to other forums generally or otherwise have a purpose beyond deep logical discussion but my idea was.

Basically different view modes when in a discussion thread. Different from "sort by ratings" because it is defined by the poster. I'm sure we've all ran into threads like this. Interesting enough premise, replies even, and not to say thread drift as that implies low quality or random elements perhaps even the OP begins to change their question to something different as a result of insightful posts.

Basically, imagine a thread like that. A question thread. There would be a single entry for what that specific question is, perhaps refined from the broad thoughts of an eager and somewhat rambling OP.

Then and for discussions too "key points" or otherwise if it is a question only "possible answers" but only permitted by the OP.

Basically turning a 50 page somewhat emotional discussion that ends up going half way around the world for some reason into an easily navigable page that people can see actually WTF is being discussed/addressed/solved/unsolved etc. I know I've asked this in many threads.
  • Banno
    It would be good to be able to see a list of all posts by a single author in one thread.
  • bongo fury
    You know you can see all their posts in date order from most recent?
  • Banno
    Sure; but not within a specific thread.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.