Nothing matters
    We die
    Before we were born there was nothing
    The universe is nothing to me when I die
    Why do I care
    Why does anyone care
    They all die
    We live in a made up world with rules and laws invented to control people
    What difference does it make if I die now or 100 years from now?
    I still die
    There is no religion, it’s a lie
    There are no ghosts, it’s a lie
    There is no magic, it’s a con
    There is no afterlife
    You die.

So what is the f**king point in anything?

It’s like some cruel joke and everyone is swimming in a sea of fog of denial where where they act as is they are in control.

I have these thought in my mind all the time, don’t tell me I’m depressed because I’m not. Medicating this away is not the answer. I want the world to face reality. Face the facts.
    NOTHING MATTERS.
    EVER. .

Unless…
    The single most important thing is preservation of your own life.
    Science is the only answer, not some mumbo jumbo faith BS religion but pure science.
    There needs to be a movement that with all the knowledge and wealth in the world that exists today this is what we need to be focusing on. Here are my idea’s:

Initially, find a way to extend our life when our body can no longer cope and the idea’s I had was to preserver the head and keep the brain alive and hook it up to something like the Neuro Link that Elon musk is working on.

Keep you body cryogenically frozen for preservation of your DNA.
    When the technology is ready, create a clone of yourself and using a more advanced neuro link connect yourself to that clone.

Your head needs to be protecting in some fortress and with the advancement of Robotics you can neuro lace to a robot too.

The brain is the most complex thing in the universe, it needs preserving and there needs to be a movement of likeminded people.

I cannot believe I am the only one that thinks like this.

1. Who is with me on this? (3 votes)
        Me man. Finally someone who thinks rhe same and I've some ideas too
        33%
        No way, not me you weirdo.
        67%
  • ernestm
    There is no religion, it’s a lieQu King
    I did come back to this forum because I remembered a large number of people having problems with nihilism, solipsism, and other such depressions. I did start a thread on this topic here presenting a more academic and rational interpretation of Christianity, in one case, without requiring any acceptance of supernatural events.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/8180/how-much-is-christs-life-miracles-and-resurrection-a-fraudulent-myth
    Due to various objections the first post in the thread is now very long. But if you find any of the questions it addresses interesting, starting with the fact that the life of Jesus was not made up, and onwards from there, I would be glad to discuss it with you on your own thread.
  • Qu King
    Hi ernestm, I thank you for the link, I am new here. Like I say, without predijice. I don't come at this subject as with ignorance, far from it. I was deeply religious for many years before I started to learn to ask the right questions. I even studied Theology for 3 years but my view has not changed and I am certain I am not the only one that thinks the same too.
  • Andrew4Handel
    You claim that there is no afterlife.

How do you know that?

Your position can be refuted if any of your various premises are false.
  • Outlander
    Would you really want to preserve or prolong what is as you say, nothingness and futility though?

Watch "Tales from the Darkside - A Choice of Dreams" and/or "Twilight Zone - The Pool Guy", if you can. You'd like or at least appreciate them both I suspect.

Science is little more than observing with as one could assume you'd think, our limited animalesque senses to notice patterns and from there provable and repeatable events that then become scientific law. It is changing constantly. A while back the Earth was the center of the universe and flight was impossible. Ideas to the contrary would often get you ridiculed or imprisoned. In that sense faith is part of science in a way. You have faith in a theory, enough to work to prove it right.

That aside who knows maybe there are aliens. That'd be cool huh.

I've noticed most intelligent religious people have a certain line of thinking. Not quite this but I feel there are parallels. Imagine yourself as a rich, powerful, and happy man. Who's also wise. Now imagine a beautiful yet flawed woman. If you flaunt your wealth or power without first using wisdom to discern if this is really someone you want in your life, you could easily lose all three. I imagine a heaven as a place full of wise philosophers passing the time with debate and reason who are intellectually content. Or at least decent people. Wouldnt you?
  • NOS4A2

Humans create purpose. Meaning and purpose does not arrive by any other force. So you’ll have to create a purpose for your own life or adopt someone else’s.
  • Qu King
    Thanks for all the great responses, I will Watch "Tales from the Darkside - A Choice of Dreams" and/or "Twilight Zone - The Pool Guy".

My point seems to have been lost here though and this thread has been about debating the issues rather than focusing on the Philosophy of preservation of ones one life as being the key point.

The illusion that there’s an afterlife is as absurd as believing there was a before life.

It doesn’t matter what you believe in the end, you die and that’s it.

Death is like before you were alive.
  • InPitzotl
    IMO, your perspective seems a bit off.
    What difference does it make if I die now or 100 years from now?Qu King
    I'll call your 100 years and go all in... what difference does it make if you die now, or never die? If you are immortal what is the point?

You think 100 years is long... forever sounds like torture:
    The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that, I went into a decline. — Marvin (from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

I cannot believe I am the only one that thinks like this.Qu King
    You aren't, actually; lots of people feel this way. But this is just your survival instinct talking for you. Picture it not as an ideal, but a reality. Congratulations! You're now immortal. Now what? Take it seriously and see where it goes. I'm sure you'd really have a blast the first... few days. Weeks. 20 years. 500 years. Whatever number that is probably depends on you, but at some point everything is going to get incredibly monotonous. After a few hundred times the time it takes for things to get monotonous, then what?

Your survival instinct is deluding you... living for a long time no more gives you purpose than dying young robs it from you. Purpose has to do with what you do while you are alive. You remind me of my mom... every time I call her she complains about how I never talk to her. That's you... you're here, existing and living your life, but every moment you're alive (okay, that's a hyperbole; realistically, every moment you spend on this thread), you're complaining about how you won't be alive when you're not alive. That is what robs you of purpose.
  • Qu King
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I am deluding myself and I do agree with you and as such you must also agree that the same fantasy exists if you’re looking for immortality through religion.

I do not believe there is anything after you die, I cannot prove that, but what I do know was there was nothing before I was born (from my perspective) and I don't expect death to be any different and as such I am merely stating the obvious that nothing really matters to me.

I know it all sounds morbid but it is not. I am using strong language to emphasise my thought processes that got me thinking that the only noble cause is the self-preservation of one’s own conscious

That is what I would like to discuss.
  • 180 Proof
    Your survival instinct is deluding you... living for a long time no more gives you purpose than dying young robs it from you. Purpose has to do with what you do while you are alive.InPitzotl
    :up:

The brain is the most complex thing in the universe, it needs preserving and there needs to be a movement of likeminded people.

I cannot believe I am the only one that thinks like this.
    Qu King
    Agreed. And you're not "the only one" :sweat: (below is an excerpt of a post from an old thread):

(I'm planning on some sort of chemical brain preservation process rather than tissue-cellular destroying "cryonics" to hopefully keep my brain 'viable' after I die until the technology is (if it's ever) ready for prime time.)180 Proof
  • Qu King
    Thanks for responding, I am basing my own opinion in only what I know.
  • Banno
    I am basing my own opinion in only what I know.Qu King

That's a refreshing change. So many here base their opinions on what they don't know.
  • Banno
    The single most important thing is preservation of your own life.Qu King

That's bullshit. You just made that up. As if you could just choose what really matters...
  • Qu King
    Please re-read, the post says nothing matters unless....
  • Banno
    It sure does. But you give no reason to desier the preservation of your own life. You simply drop it in, arbitrarily.

Do you think you can choose just anything to be the purpose of life? Why this, and not, say, the consumption of potato chips?
  • 180 Proof
    NOTHING MATTERS.
    EVER.
    Qu King
    :roll:

Does anything truly matter?
    — Cidat
    No - especially this question. :yawn:
    180 Proof

Do you think you can choose just anything to be the purpose of life? Why this, and not, say, the consumption of potato chips?Banno
    :scream: :rofl:
  • Qu King
    Your logic is flawed, I agree I perhaps I should have worded it better but how can I view consuming potato chips the same as wanting to preserve my consciousness.

I keep thinking someone will invent something soon and take this seriously but I am not seeing it.

When you get the likes of Hawking’s sadly passing away, who was part machine part human, it seems a tragic waste of a brilliant mind. I just wish there was a way that he could have survived.
  • Banno
    ...how can I view consuming potato chips the same as wanting to preserve my consciousness.Qu King

So... you are undermining the premise of your title by claiming that your consciousness is more important than potato chips.

QED.
  • Qu King
    Not getting a lot off support here buddy. The thought of dying scares the hell out of me I don't know how you feel about it. Would it not comfort you in some small way if you knew that someone was working on a solution to keep your brain alive beating death?
  • Qu King
    You confusing the hell out me man! You don't make sense or I am not explainig it properly...
  • Banno
    You confusing the hell out me man!Qu King

You wanted to do some philosophy. What did you expect?

The thought of dying scares the hell out of meQu King

So what? Why would that elevate it above eating potato chips? After all,

Nothing mattersQu King
  • Qu King
    Ha ha, you are a joker and I appreciate you picking up the flaws in my grammer that allow you ask those sorts of questions that attempt to undermine the point i am trying to make.

Maybe I just need to reword it properly
  • DingoJones

Well he isnt pointing out your flawed grammar, rather your flawed logic.
    It is contradictory for you to say nothing matters, then claim one thing (consciousness) matters more than another thing (eating chips).
    How exactly is something not important and more important at the same time?
  • Banno
    The point of my reply is to show you that the notion that nothing matters cannot be maintained with any degree of coherence; and further that what matters is itself a moral decision that you must make.

In choosing the preservation of your own consciousness you are choosing to be governed by your fear of death.
  • Banno
    Nuh. Potato chips matter.

I've run out of potato chips.
  • neonspectraltoast
    Everything is golden and eternal. It does matter. You just don't want to believe it matters.
  • DingoJones

Ya, it was the first thing I ran out of.
    How is what matters a moral choice? Some things that matter aren’t even a choice at all.
  • Qu King
    This again is due to bad grammar because the sentence should say that Nothing Really Matters to me because I have no faith in any religion, I don't believe in an afterlife and yes I am being governed by my fear of death but I want that to give me a purpose and I am seeking likeminded people. I cannot be alone in my thinking.

I appreciate the banter with you but you focus on the detail and not the message..
  • Banno
    Some things that matter aren’t even a choice at all.DingoJones

Such as?
  • Qu King
    Hi, Please explain....
  • Qu King
    Yes, I second that, like what?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.