• Mikie
    We all know our world is inherently meaningless.Cidat

We don't "all know" that, because that sentence itself has meaning. Does it or does it not mean anything? If it does, there's some meaning in the world after all -- that sentence. If it doesn't, then there's meaning in the world.

But let's imagine that we happened to find some irrefutable meaning in this world.Cidat

Meaning is always relative to some framework. From my philosophical standpoint, no reality truly matters. Truth is just truth.Cidat

What about the framework that allows you to say that "life is meaningless"? That's an interpretation too, also based on a framework or a 'perspective.'

To paraphrase Nietzsche, it's not life that's meaningless but rather the people that make that assertion.
  • 180 Proof
    Does anything truly matter?Cidat
    No - especially this question. :yawn:
  • Banno
    This is an appalling thread.

But obviously, that doesn't matter.
  • Cidat
    But even that would be ultimately pointless, since existence itself is pointless.
  • Qu King
    Not if you could preserve it
  • Qu King
    It's not the existence that is pointless.
  • Qu King
    It's the idea that you go thorugh life which has purpose but in the end you lose it all. Which made it all a waste of time (from my perspective)
  • Qu King
    Either take the view why bother at all and just end it now. Or focus my energy to find a solution
  • Qu King
    I honestly belive there is someone alive today that will still be alive in a 1,000 years through technology
  • Qu King
    I believe it is within our capability to do that very soon
  • Julia
    I think what matters most is our impact or influence because that will be the only thing we leave behind when we die. People won't ask what car that person drove, what color was their favorite, what their hobbies were, etc. People will describe how the person was when the person was alive. If they were good or bad, charitable or greedy, loving or hateful, and so on. If they left a huge impact in a good way then they will be remembered more or discussed more unlike one who left a bad impact then everyone would try to forget all the bad that came from them.
  • ttjordy
    No, it is just a thought that developed within ourselves.
  • creativesoul
    We all know our world is inherently meaningless.Cidat

Our world includes thinking and believing creatures. Thinking and believing creatures attribute meaning. Our world is not inherently meaningless, unless we wish to claim that thinking and believing creatures are not a part thereof.
  • creativesoul
    What matters 'the most' all depends upon some specific situation/circumstance/context, for 'the most' is only meaningful when being used in comparative analysis. Don't forget, there's also what doesn't matter the most. Sometimes, there are a number of distinct but equally important things that all matter 'the most', because the absence of any single one of them would render the existence of something impossible. For example, hydrogen and oxygen both matter the most when we're talking about what matters 'the most' for the existence of water.

Looks like a question made for wasting time...
  • Chester
    Whether something matters is really a question about whether something has inherent value. I'd say that the thing that creates value must have inherent value, it must matter. Consciousness matters.
  • Marylil
    You are missing the point of our pointless lives my dear friend! and there are high chances that if you are continuing to question "does anything truly matter" suggests that you have not yet found something that does 'matter' to you? I say of course it does! Everything matters to us individually - thus creating us as individuals. Please find something that does matter to you.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.