• Jamal
    This is the proper thread for feature requests so I deleted your second comment.

Thanks for the feedback. I've added it to the list in the OP.
  • Postmodern Beatnik
    It would be nice if we could retain the formatting when quoting highlighted text.
  • _db
    You can access your threads via your Discussions tab on your Personal About page.
  • Jamal
    That's just the ones you've started. The idea of a "my threads" feature is to show you the discussions you've participated in.
  • Jamal
    It would be nice if we could retain the formatting when quoting highlighted text.Postmodern Beatnik

Good one, I've added it to the list.
  • Jamal
    These are the changes and new features:

• Localisation support. Plush can now work in any language.
    • MailChimp integration. You can now send newsletters and email digests to your members.
    • Q&A mode. Ideal for customer service or building a knowledge base.
    • Option to email an Admin on each new discussion or applicant
    • Content flagging, available to normal members with 20+ posts
    • Recurring billing support for Paid Subscriptions
    • New styling options, including round avatars and separate divider/border colours
    • Automatically generate Category images
    • Option to completely disable the reputation system
    • MathJax integration, plus subscript and superscript tags
    • One-tap photo uploading on mobile
    • Optional DDoS protection for $25/mo, SSL for $15/mo
    • A new searchable FAQ to answer your common questions
    • Many more performance fixes and improvements
  • Moliere
    Woah, cool!

$$\int_{a}^{b} x^2 dx$$
  • Jamal
    It wasn't working at first because I had to enable it. I enabled it just for you.
  • Michael
    • Content flagging, available to normal members with 20+ posts

Interestingly the "flag" option appears for moderators, too.
  • Jamal
    I've been looking for the flagging thing. Where is it?
  • _db
    You can access all of your threads by Comments.
  • Jamal
    With "my threads", you would see the threads with the latest action at the top, even if you hadn't personally contributed for a long time. It's a convenient feature only indirectly covered by other features, but I don't think it's a big deal.
  • Michael
    mrwflfmcmx29v3vj.png

Maybe it doesn't show for administrators?
  • Jamal
    Strange, I'm not seeing that. Maybe because I'm an admin. (Just noticed you said that yourself)
  • S
    I don't see it either: whether on my mobile or on my PS4. I assumed that this was became it says that it's available to normal members, and a moderator doesn't count as a normal member.
  • Michael
    I can't see it now so it must be due to the aforementioned permissions issue. I'm guessing if the group can't edit and/or delete then they can flag instead.
  • schopenhauer1
    Is there a reason why one cannot delete their entire posts?
  • BC
    Yes. The regretted writings of philosophers are a valuable source of insight into the philosopher. Don't you wish Plato, Schopenhauer, and Nietzsche had not been able to throw away their regretted lines?
  • _db
    For what it's worth, Schop, I've found many of your posts to be most illuminating.
  • Jamal
    It's just the way the software works, and I don't know the reasons for that design decision. I am glad of it though. I can recall a few times on PF when self-deletions caused a mess. People would even sometimes completely destroy a long discussion by removing their half of the posts.

Just PM a moderator if you want a post deleted.
  • Moliere
    Hrmm.. how does one re-up?

I checked my profile real quick to make a dig at myself, and I saw that aside "Subscription" the word "Cancelled" appeared. Understandable enough for not having done my monthly, but I had honestly forgotten -- and I don't see the same membership link that I did when I first subscribed?

I suppose this is just asking for help if it's actually quite obvious and I'm just being particularly dense. Otherwise, it might help to make the re-up option density-compatible ;).
  • Baden
    Yeah, it's a pity the system says "cancelled" instead of "expired". Makes us all look bad :). Anyway, I'll let @jamalrob take care of this one.
  • Jamal
    Since the software upgrade the subscription system has changed. Previously you would just manually make one-off payments, but now it sets up a monthly PayPal subscription. Go here to set it up and you shouldn't have to remember again:

http://thephilosophyforum.com/user/upgrade

I'll have to make an announcement about this.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I would really like the agree or (l) button to be put back up. I find myself agreeing with SO much that ssu is saying that it would be repetitive to say what he has already said.
  • _db
    Maybe we can keep the likes/agree off but make it a notification instead?
  • Jamal
    I do miss likes, for some reason. But most people don't want member reputation scores, and like I said in the dedicated thread, it's currently impossible to have one without the other.
  • _db
    Yeah, I miss the like system but I don't miss the reputation system. Too bad they are linked.
  • _db
    From my experiences on both the old and the new PF (and in life in general it seems), many arguments become heated and persist simply because neither side is willing to endorse the Principle of Charity; they will hide behind this wall of "nah-nah you can't touch me here!" or try to snipe someone's argument apart by aiming at a weakness that amounts little more to moving the goalposts. This leads to an attrition that ends up spiraling out of control.

If you are on PF or any other debate forum just to argue for the sake of arguing, you are detracting from the overall quality of the forum(s).

I cannot see how this could possible be enforced (since someone could easily just feign ignorance on the matter), but we could see if we at least put up a reminder in the text box before typing that says "remember the Principle of Charity...good luck, have fun." It might help keep the amount of silly tug-of-wars to a minimum.
  • Michael
    The moderator icon should be able to differ from the site icon. And as an extension to this, perhaps each user group should be able to have its own custom icon (or none at all).
  • Postmodern Beatnik
    Yeah, it's a pity the system says "cancelled" instead of "expired". Makes us all look bad :).Baden
    You know, that's the kind of point that the developers might actually be sympathetic to. It might be worth asking them to change it (or even suggesting it as being in their own interest to do so since it makes sites running on their software look better).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.