• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    You have tilt your head back so that your nose is very much in the air; then when you look down it at people, you will still be able to overlook them completely. We Brits are well used to the contortion, which we call 'condescension'. It does require sturdy boots though as one cannot see what or who one is treading on.unenlightened

:rofl:
  • Isaac
    I've just stumbled across this thread (procrastinating). Are you still taking requests? If so, could you please ask for an italics button on the mobile version. I use italics all the time and it's a pain to have to write it out in code.

Not so much a request as a bug, but again on the mobile version every time I try to enter text at some other place in my post, it scrolls right up to the top, only scrolling back down again when I start to write.

Lastly, coming back to a thread after posting, I often find my last posted text is still in the text editor. It's been posted to the thread correctly, but a copy remains which I have to delete before posting a new comment.

Thanks.
  • Banno
    Threading forward.

A feature at the bottom of a post that links to quotes from that post made in other posts. So I don't have to scan through pages of rubbish to find the good stuff.
  • S
    I request a feature to stop people from ignoring you. And no, I'm not going to stop being a gadfly. The horses should learn to appreciate my sting. It's for their own damn good.
  • T Clark
    I request a feature to stop people from ignoring you. And no, I'm not going to stop being a gadfly. The horses should learn to appreciate my sting. It's for their own damn good.S

Come on S, everyone who's been here for more than a year remembers the old S. You're just a little teddy bear now. We just want to snuggle with you.
  • S
    Come on S, everyone who's been here for more than a year remembers the old S. You're just a little teddy bear now. We just want to snuggle with you.T Clark

I think that some people don't see me as a little teddy bear. They see me as a bear trap. You wouldn't want to snuggle with a bear trap, would you? Anyway, it's their loss, right?
  • T Clark
    I think that some people don't see me as a little teddy bear. They see me as a bear trap. You wouldn't want to snuggle with a bear trap, would you? Anyway, it's their loss, right?S

You're just a metaphorical bear trap, which is ok, since we only want to metaphorically snuggle with you.
  • S
    You're just a metaphorical bear trap, which is ok, since we only want to metaphorically snuggle with you.T Clark

I don't think that others do. They might see me as a corrupting force now, but I know that I'm in the right and that I'll be the stuff of legends. Tales of my brilliance will outlive them all by hundreds of years. So I'll drink my hemlock with good cheer.
  • Jake
    I request a feature to stop people from ignoring you.S

I request the opposite feature, the ignore a particular member feature offered in pretty much every forum software. Such a feature can help reduce the typical ego shoot outs which so plague the forum realm.
  • S
    I request the opposite feature, the ignore a particular member feature offered in pretty much every forum software. Such a feature can help reduce the typical ego shoot outs which so plague the forum realm.Jake

Yeah, well, we've already had that request about a million times. Be more original, Jakey Cakey.

Also, can we have a spam filter setting for terms like "nuclear weapons"? Or can that particular term be added to it? Thanks in advance.
  • Necrofantasia
    When deleting posts, maybe some sort of private message quoting the post with feedback from moderation as part of the deletion process (so we know why they were deleted and can correct the original writing) would save time and improve discussions.

I've spent over an hour typing and retyping a post that was on topic, non inflammatory and as constructive and properly written as I could make it, only to have it deleted twice within seconds and without feedback. Meanwhile, expletive-laden flame wars remain standing.
    I think I'll stick to lurking from now on.
  • Baden

It wasn't deleted. It was a spam filter false positive and has been restored.
  • Necrofantasia
    Oh.... well, I feel silly now.
    Sorry for the fuming, and thank you for the clarification.
  • Baden

It's alright. You weren't to know.
  • S
    Maybe scrap the spam filter? How effective is it anyway? It seems to cause more problems than it solves.
  • Wayfarer
    (But then, we're not likely to see the problems it actually solves.)
  • Wheatley
    I remember there being a lot of spam before the filter was in use. Scrapping it would mean more janitorial work for moderators, all of whom I believe are unpaid.
  • fdrake

I quite like it. It's much easier to have a pre-filter to inform mod action than to have us scanning the boards for the worst drivel all the time. It catches the bottom of the barrel and real spam and bots.
  • S
    Does it? It makes sense in theory, but how often are you getting the real deal, and how often are you getting false positives?
  • S
    I remember there being a lot of spam before the filter was in use.Purple Pond

I don't. And you know how much time I spent on here around that period. And spam never seemed to be a problem throughout my duration as a moderator.
  • Baden

It's of questionable utility for sure but I suppose I hate spam more than having to restore false positives.
  • T Clark
    There are two features useful in editing posts that are not, as far as I know, available for private messages. 1) Preview and 2) If I move out of a thread when I've started a post, it's waiting for me when I come back. If I do that in the Inbox, my PM is erased.

Is there any way these features can be added for PMs?
  • S
    And the ability to edit.
  • T Clark
    And the ability to edit.S

Yes, good point.
  • deletedusercb
    The 2015/17 requests included Muted discussions and Ignore list.

Are those now active functions? If yes, how does one use them?
  • Wayfarer
    All the hyperlinks on this site are appearing in red for me, on multiple browsers and devices, so I don't think it's my end. Not a real problem but noteworthy.
  • unenlightened
    Me too. Used to be blue, now red - it's like there's been a change of government...
  • S
    I don't like it. It's too dull. Change it back.
  • Streetlight
    Oh boy, Green.

Can we change the color every day? I think that would be fun.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.