• Baden

Come on, dude. We've had this since old PF. It is loved by the masses and shall remain.
  • S
    Boo...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Your response has been posted on The Philosophy Forum Facebook page. Congratulations and Thank you for your contribution!Baden

Baden, I know you know that I am not a bot and I am the one that posts the Facebook posts as of right now and I am sure if that needs to change, I will be informed by you or jamalrob, administrators of TPF or Facebook.

If I had been asked, I would have gratefully explained that there is a reason, that I use the phrase that I do.

When I post a picture on a platform such as Facebook and it is a Watermarked picture or a trademarked image, I obtain written permission to use the image from the artist. I had obtained permission of use from four photographers at PF and I notified them when PF was sold and that I would honor our agreement and let the new owners know that they are not authorized to keep the photos posted but they choose not to delete the pictures. I have obtained the same permission for use at TPF Facebook page which is why their image, when posted, is linked back to their Facebook page. It is a win win and an awesome networking exchange.

I have tried to do the same with notifying any TPF member that a quote of theirs has been posted on a social networking platform. I have done this, which is a change from what I originally started with at PF, which was to quote with no notification. I was approached by Paul, as a PF member was using his real name for his user name and had no idea that his words had even been posted on Facebook until he logged on. I directly apologized to him, I told him I would implement the change and did so.

I remediated the situation with that member in particular, by offering either the total removal of the quote or the removal of his user name and the link back to the thread in PF. I respected his choice and made the changes necessary to not have anyone feel imposed upon with giving them credit due.

It is a fine line to walk and I do the best that I can with what I know. Until I am told of another way, I will continue to do as I have for the last two years.
  • S
    I have tried to do the same with notifying any TPF member that a quote of theirs has been posted on a social networking platform.ArguingWAristotleTiff

And that must be done publicly?

It is a fine line to walk and I do the best that I can with what I know. Until I am told of another way, I will continue to do as I have for the last two years.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Notification by private message?
  • Buxtebuddha
    When I post a pictureArguingWAristotleTiff

You better be careful, Sappy is deathly afraid of pictures. He hates them. They try to turn him toward the dark side.
  • S
    Yes. But I'm like Luke Skywalker, only with a beefburger instead of a lightsaber.
  • Baden

You're doing a great job. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Moliere
    Yearp. I agree.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    What happened to our ability to note why we are flagging a post?
  • Michael
    That's never been a thing.
  • Jake
    I contacted the developers and discovered I wouldn't have direct access to the data, and that killed the sale for me. Still, I do like this forum software quite a bit, so thumbs up for the interface.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    That's never been a thing.Michael

Are you sure?
  • Pierre-Normand
    Is there a simple way to know what category a discussion has been posted in? I normally display "All Discussions" and then click on the discussions that interest me. When a discussion is displayed, I can't see anywhere what category this discussion has been posted in, other than trying to find it trough selecting sequentially all the plausible categories in which it might have been posted. It's strange that discussions and individual posts are seemingly displayed without a category tag visible anywhere in them.
  • BC
    If you locate your mouse over the topic on the landing page, you should see the category appear.
  • Jamal
    As BC says, hover over the discussion title to see the category. Also, when you're in a discussion the category in the left menu is emphasized in bold (though not on mobile).
  • Jake
    All members should be replaced with cute red headed college coeds who think I'm a genius. I can't believe this feature STILL hasn't been implemented, even though I asked for it an entire sentence ago!!!

9aee2d01932a0e32349a1789a78ac6f8--cintia-dicker-sexy-bikini.jpg
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    All members should be replaced with cute red headed college coeds who think I'm a genius. I can't believe this feature STILL hasn't been implemented, even though I asked for it an entire sentence ago!!!Jake

A forum full of S.E. Cupps! @Maw would probably go with the idea! :joke:
  • Maw
    I'm too old for college girls
  • Terrapin Station

I could live for a million years and I wouldn't be too old for college girls.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm too old for college girlsMaw

Ahh the moments of youth slip away.... :meh:
    Need my readers yet? :razz:
  • SophistiCat
    Now that you guys have figured out how to make a subsection less visible, I would suggest adding another one besides The Lounge. Right now The Lounge doubles as a place for relaxed and off-topic discussion, as well as a dump for threads that don't fit moderators' standards in other forums, which makes for a weird mix. I would rather see a dedicated "dump" subsection (you could give it a more polite name, like "Not quite philosophy" or something).

I could live for a million years and I wouldn't be too old for college girls.Terrapin Station

Only if those girls study paleontology in college. Then you would be quite a find!
  • Jamal
    Right now The Lounge doubles as a place for relaxed and off-topic discussion, as well as a dump for threads that don't fit moderators' standards in other forums, which makes for a weird mix. I would rather see a dedicated "dump" subsection (you could give it a more polite name, like "Not quite philosophy" or something).SophistiCat

This could be a good idea.
  • Jake
    In the coming forum utopia, all members you experience will be fully customizable digital entities. Seriously.

Each of us has our preferences of what topics we want to explore, and how we want to explore them. And none of us can perfectly meet the needs of our fellow members, and most of us probably can't come close. And so here we are stuck with each other's limitations, and we put up with that because the only other option is the real world where getting what one wants in a philosophical experience is even more problematic and inconvenient.

Point being, none of us are capable of meeting your discussion needs as well as the coming digital entities, so we human members will be phased out, ignored, dismissed and discarded, having failed to compete successfully with conversation partners who can be anything you want.

One problem that will have to be overcome is that we don't yet really even know what we want, given that getting exactly what we want has never been an option. As example, see my demand for redheads above, how primitive of a 1950's Playboy pinup fantasy request, but the best my imagination can do in a world characterized by imperfection, limitation and compromise.

We're already half way there. As today's forum users we've already happily given up faces, names, voices, gender, age and so much of what makes us human so that we can do philosophy in the most convenient manner possible. We want what we want, and we'll discard anything that gets in the way of us obtaining it.

We've got a way to go yet technically, but smart people are working in that direction. As example, check out CleverBot.

Another example is CrazyTalk, very affordable software for Windows and Mac which allows you to take a face photo like the redhead above, and make her say anything you want.

So, in the coming forum utopia, instead of reading this post you'd be talking with a video of the redhead above, at which point you will completely lose all interest in anything me, a mere human, might have to say. But I won't care, because I'll be talking to the redhead too.
  • Baden
    . Right now The Lounge doubles as a place for relaxed and off-topic discussion, as well as a dump for threads that don't fit moderators' standards in other forums, which makes for a weird mix. I would rather see a dedicated "dump" subsection (you could give it a more polite name, like "Not quite philosophy" or something).SophistiCat

Yes, I for one am noticing I'm increasingly doing this and it does make the lounge messier than it ought to be.
  • Banno
    Chicken wing. No meat.

To all: So is there a way to block a user? So that their posts do not appear in threads?
  • Jamal
    Unfortunately there is no such feature in the software we're using, but SophistiCat created browser plugins that do the job: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/28211
  • Banno
    Cheers. I use Safari, so no go.
  • unenlightened
    To all: So is there a way to block a user?Banno

You have tilt your head back so that your nose is very much in the air; then when you look down it at people, you will still be able to overlook them completely. We Brits are well used to the contortion, which we call 'condescension'. It does require sturdy boots though as one cannot see what or who one is treading on.
  • Banno
    I can do that. Easy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.