• Jamal
    I hope Philosophy Forums does well, and I'm not trying to lead a breakaway movement in a bid for world domination (well, not entirely). I simply don't want to be at PF now it's in the hands of someone who doesn't care, either about philosophy or about high quality web content.

I also wanted to see a philosophy forum on a different kind of platform. It might be a matter of taste, but I never really got on with the traditional bulletin board format, and I think it's time to take advantage of the new technology and the improvements in design that have been made by web engineers and designers over the past ten years. PlushForums, which is the hosted forum software that this site runs on, is perhaps not the most advanced or cutting-edge platform out there, but I think it's a good choice.

Kudos to Paul for his amazing creation: it became an important part of my life and is where I learned most of what I know about philosophy.
  • Pneumenon
    Good God, I come back to PF after a few months' hiatus and the place is suddenly a cesspit run by some 24 year old smartass from Brooklyn who likes to steal credit card numbers. The temporary forum created before this one had a lot of the old regular members, so I'm glad that all of the people I want to read are showing up.

Also, I noticed that Sapientia is back! Good to see you, dude. Were you just lurking since God knows when?
  • Moliere
    I'll admit that I get pleasure from the old bulletin board format, but I'm pretty much cool with anything that keeps the group together -- since that was the primary reason for me participating at PF.
  • S
    I've only just got here and I love it already! In terms of design, I think I prefer it to the old PF. Perhaps this new PF will be superior.

Hi, Pneumenon. Good to see you too. I took about a year off, in which I rarely browsed PF, because I felt like I needed a break. I was getting frustrated and demoralised. But I'm back! (For now, at least).
  • Hanover
    Jamalrob, site looks great! Thanks for stepping up and doing this.

How do I change my user name? I want to remove the Gerald (not my name anyway).
  • Jamal
    Done. I'm curious: did it seem impossible to do it yourself?

Oh and welcome on board, again. :)
  • S
    How do I change my user name? I want to remove the Gerald (not my name anyway).Hanover

It is now, Gerald. X-)
  • Jamal
    Hey Πετροκότσυφας, welcome. I've got the site zoomed to 125%. Ctrl+ to zoom your browser, and it'll remember that setting whenever you're on the site (in Chrome at least).

And welcome Sapientia. Good to have you here.
  • Mariner
    Howdy, at least here I can be Mariner.
  • Hanover
    I may be technologically stupid, so, it may or may not have been impossible to change myself. I couldn't find it, and I thought you'd be excited about the opportunity to serve one of your first guests, so I offered that up for you. I'm always giving.
  • Jamal
    Yes indeed. Thank you.
  • Michael

I read that as "technically stupid".
  • Baden
    If you don't want to be called Gerald, why have you still got a big stupid looking "G" for an avatar?
  • Hanover
    I've looked at the breakdown of threads and thought maybe there should be a Hanover room, sort of dedicated to all things Hanover.

AHHH! Don't answer yet. Take some time to mull it over.
  • Hanover
    Because technically I'm an idiot. Can you not read?
  • Hanover
    In many years from now, only the few here right now will know the origin of the big stupid G next to my name.
  • Jamal
    That's the stuff of internet legend.
  • Benkei
    And here I was hoping the grumpy conservatives couldn't find their way to a snazzy, modern website like this... >:)
  • Jamal
    I have to go out now. Any problems or complaints, post them in the feedback category.

:-)
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Made it!

The site seems very user friendly... or should I say 'idiot user friendly'. as I'm not a tech guy at all.

Nice to see people showing up. Also... that Pneumenon made it. I tried to send out a PM to you, but it bounced back.

I reached my 40 PM limit yesterday for the first time ever sending out invites and managed to do a few more via IM.

Nice to see that Sapientia's hooter is back too!

Now to test the most important function for me...

Yippie! 8-)

Meow!

GREG
  • Baden
    Made it!Mayor of Simpleton

Welcome, MOS!
  • Baden
    Because technically I'm an idiotHanover

If ever a "Wiser words" thread were called for...
  • Mongrel
    Splitter!

I realize a diaspora from the old site isn't inevitable. It just seems likely to me... so this forum is an awesome idea. Although I pretty confidently predicted that G.W.. Bush would not be elected president. And then it happened twice, so I've learned not to listen to me.
  • Hanover
    I have a "I Miss W" sticker on my car. I have it just to be endearing. Working?
  • Mongrel
    I have a "I Miss W" sticker on my car. I have it just to be endearing. Working?Hanover

No. It's not nice to make fun of Miss Wyoming. It's not her fault she has trouble with English. She's not even from this planet.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Seriously...

... looking at this, who really cares about English grammar?

Wyoming.jpg

Meow!

GREG
  • Hanover
    Actually, Miss Georgia won. So, in your face everyone other than Georgia!
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    So that's what the big 'G' stands for!

You're really Miss Georgia!!!

Congrats!

pu_2_2015_officialswimsuitphotography_usa20152145_101.jpg

Meow!

GREG
  • Landru Guide Us
    So is this where the real party is?
  • Hanover
    Yes, this is the real party. Tell all your friends and get everyone over here!
  • Sir2u
    Ok, I'm getting confused. Now I have another password to remember because the signup would not accept the one I wanted.

But anyway hello everyone that got here before me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment