• S
    Here's the evidence:

A warning point has been applied to you for your post in "So long." The reason for the warning is "low post quality." This was the full text of what you posted:

Sapientia wrote:
    I preferred this site the way that it used to be run, and I've found another philosophy forum that I like, so this might be my last post. If so, then good bye to Philosophy Forums and to all of the members that will not make the move with myself and others to the other philosophy forum.

The thread was posted in the Community / Off Topic forum, and the action was taken by Superadmin a.k.a. Eric a.k.a Borat. Judge for yourselves.
  • Jamal
    Yeah, I was shocked to see that deleted. And I wasn't the only one...
  • Hanover
    I am encouraged by the folly of our competitor.
  • shmik
    It's got to take time and some wisdom to moderate well. Normally a poster is around for a while before they become a mod so they get a feel for the culture. It's possible to feel bad for superadmin here, he's acquired the site and immediately been thrown in over his head like a child-king trying to quell a rebellion.
    I can't imagine he plans to take much of an active part in future moderation, if he does it could be a mild disaster.
  • ssu
    I don't hope I don't offend people, but...

That the alarmist threads were taken down is at least for me understandable. It's called a clean start. Don't start with apologizing and countering the worst fears someone has put there. First impressions matter. Yet Sapientia...uhh, that seems a natural thing to happen when a new site comes. It may be line "I found another Philosophy Forum" part that is a bit like an ad. And ads were never tolerated, actually. The mods/admins came quickly with the neckshot. But still.

Yet I would argue the real challenge is how the new owners take leadership and motivate the moderators and admins like Paul. There the real group that has to be motivated. Someone coming to the site after a long while may not notice what has happened and just goes to discuss philosophy of religion or dasein. The admins and mods are different.

How much emphasis is put to the site tells about the objectives. Let's see.

Actually it left me thinking of the whole thing... assuming what a bad/alarmist start. Now if you are 19 and you goof up and get into a lawsuit, well, that can happen. Yep. And for what I understood, there's no conviction. The taking of the fifth leaves thinking. But I think in the "before-this" site there were actually very good discussion.

What hopefully doesn't happen is the either your here or there -attitude, but both we don't tolerate. The way I see this Forum was basically a show of the will, the ability and the devotion that people here have for a community. Because the first time I experience the old PF going down years ago, I really felt empty. Then I found another PF member at another site, which was nice. Now in no time people came not only with a backup plan, but also with lots of improvements, actually. At least here I think we shouldn't forget just how this started. The reason was understandable. So thanks Jamalrob for that.

And it's nice to enjoy an active virtual community (if that is correct term).
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    It's possible to feel bad for superadmin here, he's acquired the site and immediately been thrown in over his head like a child-king trying to quell a rebellion.shmik

Well said...

... I nearly would like to suggest this as his future avatar:

king_joffrey_s_authoritah___as_if__by_lordofthememes-d6z6mvh.jpg

Meow!

GREG
  • S
    "I found another philosophy forum" doesn't even come close to an ad. It'd be a terrible ad. I purposefully didn't mention the name of the site or link to it or even describe it or how to get there. And besides, the stated reason was not "ad/spam", but " low post quality". Has moderation for post quality even applied in the Community/Off Topic forum before? Or has this set a precedent?
  • Baden
    He's just deleting whatever he feels like, Sap, and tagging on whatever stated reason he feels like. So, yes, it does set a precedent. We used to need real reasons to delete posts at PF, and those reasons had to be stated accurately.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Indeed things have changed...

The shoutbox had something interesting.

SittinWSocratesTiff [Oct 23, 2015 - 8:40 PM]: As soon as I knew there was a possibility that funds were not going to be going directly to the previous owner and our dear hosted server, I immediately discontinued asking for *Sponsorship or *Donations. It's no longer something that is necessary
    ProbablyTrue [Oct 23, 2015 - 8:06 PM]: Should maybe get rid of the donation/sponsorship link since this site is going to be monetized now..

This was the reply to Tiff...

[1:14 AM]: Tiff's life has been made easier. I call that a win!

Funny...

The response was by the 'invisible hand'. No user name and no one that shout connects with...

... things that make you go hmm...

Funnier still was that SuperAd was all over Tiff's profile after coming on and seeing her shout.

I had to play too...

... my response to the 'invisible hand':

mayor of simpleton [1:30 AM]: Not in all cases... often an easy win is a shallow victory. Not too sure I'd be happy pitching baseball against a team of Little League kids. Personally I like challenges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEy9Hp1GoLw

Curious if my profile is next for review?

Meow!

GREG

I decided to ask this too:

mayor of simpleton [2:01 AM]: btw... Who are you? I mean the one who replied to Tiff... I wasn't aware we had anonymous shouting.

So far no reply...

again... hmm...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff

How very odd. In all honesty, Paul never ONCE asked me to make any of the requests of donations or the push for sponsorship that I did. Paul and I are friends and I try my best to make sure I take care of friends, when and where I can, Paul was no exception.
    I sent an Instant Message to Eric the first day the Superadmin appeared, no response. I submitted a picture for the PF Facebook page and it was never approved nor did I receive a response. I do hope that the new owners of PF know that only I have written permission from the photographers, some whom are very active in the field professionally, that are posted on the page. I do hope to bring some of their work to TPF Facebook page but one step at a time. I want to bring it up to them but haven't been firm enough on the ongoings to do so.
    I am curious as to what he is sniffing for. Keep me updated brother and thank you for watching my back~
  • discoii
    PF = Voldemort? Is that why we call it 'the old place'?
  • aequilibrium
    We need convince more of the intelligent people that produce quality posts at the old place to come and give TPF a chance. I really think we need a critical mass to keep this snowball rolling or it will just fizzle out.
    This might seem like a stupid question but can anyone tell me what criteria the Google algorithm uses o rank sites? Is it simply based on traffic?
  • Mayor of Simpleton

One thing that seems to be missing are the 'newbies'.

They are a source for 'new' threads, as us 'oldies' tend more to reply than post new threads.

Meow!

GREG
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    If you happen to be a Facebook user, you can *Invite* friends from your friends list, which will show The Philosophy Forum Facebook page. I did and sent out about 25 invites all inclusive of any former forums friends. So hopefully they will find there way here.
    I also hope the invite is received with the intention in which it was sent. That intention is one of love of community.
    Tiffers
  • Paul
    Fact is, on 99% of the internet, forum admins will delete any posts that attempt to encourage people to leave their site. I was banned from a forum once just for talking to a friend of mine who was involved with a "rebel" alternative forum even though I didn't complain nor promote the alternative myself. Forum owners panic to try to stop an exodus, it's natural even if I don't agree with it. I've let him know in no uncertain terms that I disagree with it and that I think he needs to understand PF's culture of transparency, but I think the wisest course of action is to stop publicly antagonizing him. He's unlikely to moderate anything else.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

That makes sense...

... truth is, I'm very surprised I have not yet been banned as I have been using the PM modus to 'inform' members of PF about this as an alternative or a possible means to keep the community intact.

I have managed to send out nearly 80 PMs.

Perhaps he's just not paying that much attention to PMs sent. Something good... I guess.

Meow!

GREG
  • Paul
    If I were him, I'd probably limit you to one PM a day.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

If you were him and not he being him, I would not be sending any of these PMs. ;)

Meow!

GREG
  • Jamal
    I see he's still using the old, better one on this site, so it's not the end of the world quite yet.
  • ssu
    Fact is, on 99% of the internet, forum admins will delete any posts that attempt to encourage people to leave their site. I was banned from a forum once just for talking to a friend of mine who was involved with a "rebel" alternative forum even though I didn't complain nor promote the alternative myself. Forum owners panic to try to stop an exodus, it's natural even if I don't agree with it. I've let him know in no uncertain terms that I disagree with it and that I think he needs to understand PF's culture of transparency, but I think the wisest course of action is to stop publicly antagonizing him. He's unlikely to moderate anything else.Paul

Hi Paul,

Words of wisdom, In my view. I mean heck, your dealing with a Philosophy forum! Do you think that people in a Philosophy Forum will be the people the most amenable people? That will think "Oh, the owner of the site just changed...OK, whatever." and go along merrilly on with their discussions?

No.

They will look thoroughly who is the new owner and if they see any potential threat, they will act.
    Hence a Philosophy forum will be the most difficult site as the members will really question things because they uh... like philosophy, they like to question things. They are people that really do follow what is happening around them... not the people that reurgitate the things spoonfed to them through the media and follow the given mantra. This is something that the new owners ought to have to understood, and hence ought to simply keep their cool and not panic (about one Sapientia saying so long). Because it isn't a flock of uncertain teenagers around, even if PF might have some teenage members.

PF members (put together) are well informed and are aware what is happening around them. I myself know this. I'm a small investor myself and the first hints of the incoming 2007-2008 Financial Crisis I got from... PF discussions, actually. Now not all PF member understood that the US economy was going into crisis because of the housing bubble, but some did. And that really saved my small investments, which actually are important to me and my family. But that sum (I did save) was far bigger than the +20 000 dollars that was the price of PF when sold. Hence afterwards I've truly respected the community and I've never questioned the collective knowledge of the PF. Individual members can be ignorant of some things, but within the collective there are those who know and understand things correctly.

Due to this in no time this group did notice a potential threat and acted instantly. But then... as "philosophers", they are quite open to things. Time will tell, let's see.

And let's just think the role of the site owner: it is that the site works. That's it. That the site doesn't go down. That cranks and other idiots don't dominate it. That the site functions and serves it's purpose. Period. And is there is abuse, it's likely that this group will notice it.

So if I would buy a "Philosophy Forums", I honestly would understand that it's a bit different from a site focused on teenage girls or postmark collectors or whatever (even if perhaps postmark collectors might be a difficult group to handle, who knows). If I'd had some problems earlier, this would be the site that would notice them. With people who are interested and love philosophy, I would take it for granted that it's going to be difficult bunch to handle from the commercial focus group point of view.

Hence I would take the line "OK, whatever, these are philosophers...", because people that love for philosophy means that the people you cannot be easily managed around. Focusing on that the site works, it doesn't go down, that cranks don't get to dominate it would do the trick of keeping the members around. Somebody buying a Philosophy site should understand this.
  • unenlightened
    I'm not going to say a word about my final exchange with a certain eric on another forum. I have totally transcended that place. :-x

Where's fucking head-bang smile gone?
  • Jamal
    Total transcendence was never a condition for membership here but I'm happy if we've facilitated it when the need was great.

I can ask support for the fucking head-bang smilie.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I'm not going to say a word about my final exchange with a certain eric on another forumunenlightened

No need to speak of it, as it is... it speaks volumes.

This morning I took one good look at the past...

... I'm out of there. Link deleted.

No need for goodbyes. All my friends have more or less made it over here, so time for fun.

Meow!

GREG

EDIT: If you guys see my name as 'logged in' over there, it has mostly to do with my recent blast of PMs sent. I have a responsibility to the PMs and there are at least 30 of them that have not been read; thus some responses may come my way.

Unless something radical changes there, I really have no plans of ever posting there again.

I'll keep the account as maybe I'll need something from the 6700+ post I spit out over the years, but other than a 'rant log' I fail to see any real reason why I would want to go there again.

BASTA!
  • Landru Guide Us
    I didn't want to dilute the Gamera brand
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    The current location of SuperAdmin/Eric is interesting. ;)
  • Baden
    I think that was about me. They took a post of mine too seriously, deleted all trace of it and won't let me post in reply to any criticism of it. It was supposed to be a bit of light banter but I guess they didn't see it that way. Anyhow, I'm focused on here. We don't need any arguments with anyone at the other site. We just need to get on with what we're doing at this one. And of course anyone who wants to go back and forth is more than welcome here.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    It took a bit of time, but it happened...

... I no longer have an option to send PMs.

For that matter, I cannot read and PM replies or read any past PMs I have sent or received.

I wonder f they were able to delete all of the PMs I had sent that were not opened as of yet?

Interesting, as I was not telling people what to do, but stating that if all hell breaks loose in PF that this was an option to save the community.

In short...

... I have been silenced.

Meow!

GREG
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.