• JerseyFlight
    I'm saying that, for the most part, it's not worth the effort of engaging; they won't be convinced to change their minds, so you'll just be wasting your own precious time arguing against a brick wall.Pfhorrest

Who said anything about changing their minds? I specifically mentioned the context: many people read these threads. Further, the criteria for refuting error is not that one must liberate the preachers of error, but that one stops them from doing damage in the public sphere.

If some people do want to spend the time to give a quick rebuttal for the sake of onlookers, then that is valuablePfhorrest

Here you refute yourself, and in the same instance, affirm the value of refutation, at the same time you speak condescendingly of those who are doing a thing you confess to be of "value?"

I'm saying that threads like this complaining about the existence of shallow unreasoning religious people are little better.Pfhorrest

What's the complaint based on, error? If not then how can a thread based on value be "little better" than a thread based on error?
  • Sir2u
    You charged the original poster with, "If you get upset by them I think it says more about you and your agenda than theirs."JerseyFlight

Do you know the difference between charging a person with something and making a comment on that persons attitude? It appears not, and I have no wish to help you figure it out.

To test the accuracy of this statement I asked you several questions, none of which you answered.JerseyFlight

No, you asked me one questions a couple of times. And I did answer you. If you don't understand even after I explained it again that is your problem.

What you fail to see is that your bias (and that's what it is) is bent uncritically in favor of religion.JerseyFlight

Don't you read the posts between the ones you make? Saying that I am in favor of any religion is like saying that someone's grandmother had balls.

If this was not the case then why not say this position is equally true of Nazis? It's because your cultural stance on Nazis is entirely negative, while you live too far apart from (cannot comprehend) the historical atrocities of religion.JerseyFlight

Stop spouting garbage, you are not doing your cause any good with this kind of thing. Telling me this is exactly the same as what you are accusing me of doing to the guy that started this thread.

My cultural stance on nazis is beyond your conception because you have no idea who I am or anything about me that would allow you to logically make such a claim.
    And please do not try to lecture me about history. Presuming that you know more than me would have to be proven before I would pay any attention to you.

Maybe we can drive the point home more. Suppose some fanatics from Isis wanted to come on here and start talking about Allah, would you still claim, "If you get upset by them I think it says more about you and your agenda than theirs." ?JerseyFlight

Did I not say it loud enough, let me repeat it again for you.

I WOULD GET PISSED OF IF ANY FREAKING FANATIC THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KILLING OF PEOPLE INNOCENT PEOPLE CAME HERE OR TO MY HOUSE AND STARTED TALKING SHIT ABOUT HOW GREAT THEIR GOD IS.

But the people that come here to try and convince us to join them are not killers. Maybe their stupid religion is responsible for the deaths of people, but not these people.

Is not not possible for you to see that fanatics like that would not waste their time coming here, what could they possibly gain? and if you are scared of them your self, you can always hide behind an alias.

I don't think so. Why? Because you live in a time when you can see the dogmatic violence of Isis, understanding the dangers of religion requires more than your immediate impression. Suppose someone from Isis came on here long before they starting pillaging and mass murdering, what an ignorant fool you would look like right now.JerseyFlight

And you live in a time when you are lucky enough to only see the pictures of these atrocities on the internet instead of of being there to see the damage. I was born just after WW2, and I still remember asking what had happened to the houses that used to be down the street when they removed the rubble.

I am more worried about people like you and others that want to silence the ideas of other people just because the don't like them.

Read a bit of history
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/skokie-legacy-nazi-march-town-holocaust-survivors/story?id=56026742
    When you understand why the lawyer did what he had to do, come back and talk to me about it.
  • Sir2u
    Kind of circular then: there is no proof of the existence of an unbeliever's g/G - well, of course, but vacuous. I think ↪TheMadFool
    was saying something more (yet unspecified) than this.
    180 Proof

Pointing out that there is no proof that any god does not exist is the same as saying that there is no proof that any god does exist. Who really cares. I you believe fine, if not fine as well.
    But my explanation was just to show how I viewed the idea of god. The same way I view the spaghetti monster, and I do not capitalize any of them.
  • Noble Dust
    This new wave of religious infiltratorsgod must be atheist

Who specifically?
  • JerseyFlight
    I am more worried about people like you and others that want to silence the ideas of other people just because the don't like them.Sir2u

Pardon me. This is not my position. I don't want to silence them, I just don't want them to get special treatment like you want to give them. They make the claim they incur the criticism, no one needs to be jumping in (people like yourself) with this charismatic defense of error.
  • SophistiCat
    Please, put this sorry thread out of its misery.
  • Tzeentch
    Only mosquitoes and idiots don't go away when you ignore them. When any bible puncher is ignored they eventually figure out that they are wasting their time and go away. If you get upset by them I think it says more about you and your agenda than theirs.Sir2u

Here, here!
  • Jamal
    Please report any posts or discussions that you think should be subject to some sort of moderation. You can use the flag function or, like Philosophim suggests, PM one of the staff.

I'm moving this to the Feedback section and closing it.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.