• frank
    And then there is the other side to the equation: now Finland and Sweden have far more better relations with Russia than NATO countries and both would be happy if things would be OK as nowssu

I didn't know that. I think NATO, a product of the Cold War, will just morph into a European defense force, right? I don't think the US military sees Europe as a reliable or effective ally. It sounds like Finland and Sweden have already made their choice regarding hegemony.
  • ssu
    I don't think the US military sees Europe as a reliable or effective ally.frank
    If so, who then the US sees as a reliable and effective ally? Or is like with Trump that the US needs no allies?

And Again. Biden being Biden just the way Biden can be. This was noted here in the papers and also in Ukraine. So a small incursion is OK? Or did he utter what the views are going around in the White House?

Finland admitted that it has increased it's military readiness due to the present tense situation. The UK is increasing arms exports (NLAW anti-tank guided missiles) to Ukraine and increasing it's military advisors to train the Ukrainian armed forces as part of Operation Orbital. (The link has also an interesting map just where the UK armed forces are now around the World.)
  • frank
    If so, who then the US sees as a reliable and effective ally? Or is like with Trump that the US needs no allies?ssu

I'm sure you realize that American unilateralism started before Trump, so what was the point of bringing him up? Sorry, I'm just getting tired of the pervasive trollishness on this forum. I probably just need a break.

So a small incursion is OK?ssu

Yeah. Signaling to Ukraine (or anyone else) that the US will protect them when that will doesn't exist only invites death and destruction, see Syria.

So I don't see that as a gaffe. I agree that if Putin decides to play Hitler the US would try to respond, although I'm not sure how. Strategic bombing?

Finland admitted that it has increased it's military readiness due to the present tense situation.ssu

What does that mean in practical terms? I thought you said that the Finnish prefer Russia to the US in terms of hegemony.
  • ssu
    I'm sure you realize that American unilateralism started before Trumpfrank
    It really happened when the Soviet Union collapsed. The best example of this when you had the liberation of Kuwait by older Bush and the occupation of Iraq by his son. The great diplomatic lengths that Bush senior went, the huge alliance consisten of Pakistan, Egypt, GCC countries, Morocco and even Syria (whose armed forces actually during his vice Presidency the US had bombed and had lost aircraft shot down) show how that wasn't the unipolar moment. After it, it was. Many same guys where there with the younger Bush and basically didn't care a shit about others. Not even France, a long term ally of the US, didn't bother. (And the US response was Freedom Fries!)

I would say bluntly, that for the US to behave reasonably, to take into account other countries and to form alliances, the country needs a real threat of nuclear weapons. Then it truly thinks of how others might respond...and makes rational choices. When there's no actual threat of large losses, then some cabal can hijack the whole foreign policy to cater for their own objectives. Many examples of this in Central America and the Caribbean.

What does that mean in practical terms? I thought you said that the Finnish prefer Russia to the US in terms of hegemony.frank
    Definately not. Just as Sweden, the US isn't a military threat. Why would the US put sanctions, threaten with occupation or annexation Finland? In the 19th Century the US was a similar bully as Putin's Russia towards it's neighbors and in the case of it's northern neighbor back then, it got it's ass kicked in a humiliating way. Hence you have warm relations now, I guess.

Do notice that the membership in the Warsaw Pact wasn't voluntary for the countries under Soviet occupation. The non-aligned status of Yugoslavia is notable here, as it hadn't been liberated by Soviets and had no Soviet troops. It had no interest voluntarily joining the Warsaw Pact, as neither had Albania. Yet NATO is voluntary. The de facto non-voluntary allies of the US, those countries where US has put a leadership into position by force, have huge problems with the relationship with the US (Iraq case example). The rapid speed of the collapse of the Afghan government just shows how this simply doesn't work: you don't just occupy a country, put your lackeys into power and assume everything will go smoothly and then just walk away. South Korea is a case example of how long it takes for a war torn country to get on it's feet. It could well defend itself, but left alone, naturally would have to start a crash-program to obtain a nuclear deterrent.

I think many Americans see NATO as just an extension or tool of American security policy. Yet a lot of European countries have put their own security policy on the hands of NATO and hence NATO is genuinely also European security policy. Many times US has wanted to do something, but other NATO countries haven't been interested.

If the US would go out of Europe, oh boy! Think about instability as everyone would rearrange their security policy and alliances would be enormous. But Putin would be extremely happy.
  • frank
    would say bluntly, that for the US to behave reasonably, to take into account other countries and to form alliances, the country needs a real threat of nuclear weaponsssu

You really only need allies when you're fighting for your life. Otherwise, why care what Europeans want or need when they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?

That's just the 21st Century reality I think.
  • baker
    But then again, something like a large invasion of Ukraine might trigger that and the countries could see that "enough is enough".ssu

But whence this idea that Russia wants to invade Ukraine??

This is pure provocation on the part of the US and their EU allies. They've been treating Russia as if it was a rebellious teenager who needs to be put in place. They've been pretty much telling Russia words to the effect of "You're bad, and you're doubly bad because you don't admit that you're bad".
  • baker
    You really only need allies when you're fighting for your life. Otherwise, why care what Europeans want or need when they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?

That's just the 21st Century reality I think.
    frank

Not 21st century reality, but American mentality. They've been hyping themselves up with anti-Russian paranoia for seventy years. It's a miracle they haven't exploded into action by now.
    Americans need an external enemy, this is how Americans feel like Americans, this is how they have an identity. And if no external enemy is in sight, they'll cultivate one.
  • ssu
    But whence this idea that Russia wants to invade Ukraine??baker
    Uumm...because they have already done that? You see, there already is a war going on in the Donbas. Or that they had made demand the West cannot accept (based on Westphalian sovereignty). It's hard to deny something that has already happened, as you are saying.

This is pure provocation on the part of the US and their EU allies.baker
    Really?

Just who has put 100 000 troops on it's border to a neighboring country? And furthermore, please note how Putin views Ukraine. As I said 6 days ago, I urge really to read what Putin himself has said about Ukraine and Russia, if one dares to venture to the official site of the Kremlin:

Article by Vladimir Putin ”On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians“

Yes, it's a lengthy historical text, but do notice the open hostility towards the current independent Ukrainian administration is clearly evident. Even the independence of Ukraine as an sovereign state is put into question. I already had a long debate earlier with @StreetlightX about just how "nazi" the current administration in Ukraine is. Yes, Ukraine has a small fringe of the extreme right, neonazis, of whom many volunteered for the fight against Russia in 2014, but president Zelensky or his centrist party are not nazis.

They've been treating Russia as if it was a rebellious teenager who needs to be put in place. They've been pretty much telling Russia words to the effect of "You're bad, and you're doubly bad because you don't admit that you're bad".baker
    I only hope that you would also look at how Russia has been behaving here towards it's neighbors as it's actions, it's wars and annexations of parts from two neighboring countries is the reason for all this.

And if you really argue that Russia has a right to do this, please think twice what you are saying. The Soviet Union collapsed. Period. It went into the garbage bin of history just like the Austro-Hungarian Empire. But now it would be as if Austria would demand "a sphere of influence" over Hungary and the Czechs and Slovaks.
  • baker
    Yes, it's a lengthy historical text, but do notice the open hostility towards the current independent Ukrainian administration is clearly evident. Even the independence of Ukraine as an sovereign state is put into question.ssu

It's not independent. Ukrainians rely on Russia to give them work and natural resources.
    If they hate Russia so much, then why do they go to work there? Why do they take its gas?

Do you really think that Americans care about the Ukraine??

But now it would be as if Austria would demand "a sphere of influence" over Hungary and the Czechs and Slovaks.ssu

When the US demands a sphere of influence that's okay, right?
  • John McMannis
    I still like biden more than trump. Is that crazy? :rofl:
  • magritte
    But now it would be as if Austria would demand "a sphere of influence" over Hungary and the Czechs and Slovaks.ssu

Maybe not Austria, but the Hungarian rightist government still thinks it should be granted its 'greater' pre-WWI borders. This is the gut feeling Putin has for Ukraine and many Ukrainians are sympathetic to Russia.

From Biden's perspective, Russian direct interference in the American election process in an attempt to install a neo-commie puppet regime might be enough to welcome an economically and politically productive war against Russia. What are the options? The end of democracy in America in 2024 or another world war.
  • ssu
    Maybe not Austria, but the Hungarian rightist government still thinks it should be granted its 'greater' pre-WWI borders. This is the gut feeling Putin has for Ukraine and many Ukrainians are sympathetic to Russia.magritte
    And this just shows that there is truth to what they say about EU and NATO: that these organizations make members to be team players, or at least not to have open military hostilities with each other. Greece and Turkey, two NATO countries with the worse bilateral relations, have barely avoided war. Yet without them being NATO members, they would surely have had a war or two between the two armed forces since WW2.

What are the options? The end of democracy in America in 2024 or another world war.magritte

Oh yes.If Trump would win in 2024 and if the US and the West would be at that time even deeper mired to an Ukrainian bog (assuming if Putin would make large scale attack into Ukraine), that would be a really, really confusing time.
  • frank
    Will Biden seek a second term? Who would win if he ran against Trump again?
  • NOS4A2
    Hunter Biden’s “laptop from hell” is back in the news again, this time as real and authentic, and not the Russian disinfo Biden propagandists made it out to be. Anyone who had observed the contents could have told you this years ago.

The original story, broke by the New York Post, was maligned as Russian disinfo by former intelligence officials, and subsequently banned in the media before the 2020 election. Had it been any other candidate’s son, the story would have been front page for months. But the mass suppression of the story benefitted no one but a single candidate, now president, the same one sinking the country into the abyss.
  • Streetlight
    https://jacobinmag.com/2022/03/joe-biden-administration-privatization-medicare-health-insurance-direct-contracting-entities

Job Biden: The More Efficient Trump. If fuckwits like NOS had any political coherency they ought to be championing Biden, not attacking him.

new Medicare privatization scheme developed under President Donald Trump and now being expanded under President Joe Biden is forcing hundreds of thousands of seniors onto new private Medicare plans without their consent.

The development represents a troubling new dimension in the fight by corporate interests to privatize Medicare, the federal health insurance program for people sixty-five or older. Medicare Advantage, which allows for-profit health insurers to offer privatized benefits through Medicare, already results in unexpected costs for routine procedures and wrongful denials of care. Private plans have cost Medicare an astonishing $143 billion since 2008, and are now driving some health insurers’ record profits.

The new Direct Contracting Entity (DCE) program similarly adds a private sector third party between patients and Medicare services. Medicare allows these intermediary companies to offer unique benefits, like gym membership coverage. But as for-profit operations ranging from private insurers to publicly traded companies to private equity firms, these intermediaries are incentivized to limit the care that patients receive, especially when they are very sick.
  • frank
    Biden's looking like a rock star. Couldn't Putin have waited a couple more years to do this?
  • Baden

I thought his ratings were in the toilet. But anyway, do you think he'll run again?
  • frank
    do you think he'll run again?Baden

I think he'll have to. Harris can't beat Trump.
  • frank
    It is what it is.
  • ssu
    Biden's looking like a rock star. Couldn't Putin have waited a couple more years to do this?frank

I thought his ratings were in the toilet. But anyway, do you think he'll run again?Baden
    I think Biden is still unpopular. So perhaps a rock star who has lost his fans, perhaps gained too much weight, cut his heavy-rock hair and now reminds the previous fans of their dad.

SFmVs4p.jpg

Americans first and foremost care about the economy (which isn't so much what the POTUS work is about) and now you have very high inflation, which started well before the war in Ukraine.
  • NOS4A2
    Seven in 10 Americans expressed low confidence in the president's ability to deal with Russia's invasion of Ukraine as Biden's approval fell to 40 percent in new NBC News poll.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna21679

No shit. Gas prices, inflation, Afghanistan, Covid…one wonders how anyone can retain any confidence in this regime.
  • NOS4A2
    According to Russia’s State Duma speaker:

“US President Joe Biden himself is involved in the creation of biolaboratories in Ukraine. An investment fund run by his sun Hunter Biden funded research and the implementation of the United States’ military biological program. It is obvious that Joe Biden, as his father and the head of state, was aware of that activity.”

https://tass.com/politics/1427005?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

Emails from Hunter Biden’s laptop confirm the truth of this.

Rosemont Seneca Technology Partners invested $500,000 in the San Francisco pathogen research company Metabiota and raised millions more through firms that included Goldman Sachs, according to the e-mails found on the computer, which was abandoned at a Delaware repair shop in April 2019 as Joe Biden ran for president.

Hunter introduced Metabiota to officials at Burisma, the Ukrainian gas company where he was a board member, for a “science project” involving biolabs in Ukraine, the e-mails show.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/26/hunter-biden-played-role-in-funding-us-bio-labs-contractor-in-ukraine-e-mails/amp/

The Biden family and the “Delaware Way” is at the epicenter of the Ukraine crisis, from start to finish. It’s no wonder it’s all kicking off during his presidency.
  • Streetlight
    Biden's budget proposal: 10% increase in military; 11% increase in federal law enforcement; 13% increase for ICE. Biden wants $8.1 billion for ICE, which is higher than the highest amount Trump ever spent on ICE.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/28/us/politics/biden-budget-politics.html

Again, how it is that Trump supporters are not avid fans for Biden is beyond me.
  • NOS4A2
    While many aspects of Hunter Biden’s financial arrangement with CEFC China Energy have been previously reported and were included in a Republican-led Senate report from 2020, a Washington Post review confirmed many of the key details and found additional documents showing Biden family interactions with Chinese executives.
    Over the course of 14 months, the Chinese energy conglomerate and its executives paid $4.8 million to entities controlled by Hunter Biden and his uncle, according to government records, court documents and newly disclosed bank statements, as well as emails contained on a copy of a laptop hard drive that purportedly once belonged to Hunter Biden.

The Post did not find evidence that Joe Biden personally benefited from or knew details about the transactions with CEFC, which took place after he had left the vice presidency and before he announced his intentions to run for the White House in 2020.

But the new documents — which include a signed copy of a $1 million legal retainer, emails related to the wire transfers, and $3.8 million in consulting fees that are confirmed in new bank records and agreements signed by Hunter Biden — illustrate the ways in which his family profited from relationships built over Joe Biden’s decades in public service.

https://archive.ph/TTGgz

More Biden family grift and corruption. Of course we knew about this for years, but we suppressed it for political purposes.
  • ssu
    Again, how it is that Trump supporters are not avid fans for Biden is beyond me.StreetlightX
    Don't ever think there is any logic to it. For Republicans, everything that Trump did was good. Everything (same) that Biden does is bad.

And the other way around for Democrats.

Never ever dare mention anything remotely critical about who you support! That's the logic.
  • ssu
    More Biden family grift and corruption. Of course we knew about this for years, but we suppressed it for political purposes.NOS4A2
    As Republicans did with the Trump family. :wink:
  • Streetlight
    Oh the question was facetious. The answer is because Trump supporters are walking slime molds with about as many neural connections.
  • NOS4A2

Myriad investigations into Trump—lawsuits, committees, district attorneys peeking through his life. Nothing like that against Biden.
  • ssu
    Myriad investigations into Trump—lawsuits, committees, district attorneys peeking through his life. Nothing like that against Biden.NOS4A2
    The only consistency is that neither will likely ever be sentenced because of their corruption.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment