• Mikie

Why do you bother with this imbecile? Let the thread die and just let him talk into the online ether.
  • Streetlight
    Joe "tens of thousands of kids in cages" Biden.

But he posed with a rainbow flag or some shit so liberals are all too happy to heap excuses on that peice of shit.
  • NOS4A2
    Apparently doing a stint in government is a great way to land massive corporate gigs. Instead of bribing them outright, a lobbyist can just offer them gigs once their stint is over.

Obama-era officials return to White House worth millions
  • tim wood
    Obama's good men go on to find reward in the private sector. Your guy and his guys go to jail, or flop about like fish on the beach trying to stay out of jail.

What, exactly, is your point? Because if you think you're demonstrating anything, it is only your own lack of reason. And why would you do that?
  • NOS4A2

My point is that your good men use their positions of power to enrich themselves, not the people they have vowed to serve.
  • tim wood
    They enrich themselves in the private sector, and in which place they're under no special obligation to serve thee or me. And your point?
  • NOS4A2

That’s my point. Now they’re back in power.
  • tim wood
    Obviously because they are evil blood-sucking vampires that corrupt everything in their presence and eat babies, yes?

Obama's only failure, it seems to me, is that he was not also Tip O'Neal or Lyndon Johnson, or other people like them, in that were he, he'd have had Mitch McConnell and his deplorables for a snack.
  • NOS4A2

They are power and money-grubbing corporate elites who have deemed themselves fit enough to manage the public purse.
  • Streetlight
    Just like Trump, of course. Biden being no different except he waves little rainbow flags around.
  • NOS4A2
    Here’s a weird story in the Hunter Biden saga. Imagine if this was someone else’s son.

On Oct. 23, 2018, President Joe Biden’s son Hunter and daughter in law Hallie were involved in a bizarre incident in which Hallie took Hunter’s gun and threw it in a trash can behind a grocery store, only to return later to find it gone.

Delaware police began investigating, concerned that the trash can was across from a high school and that the missing gun could be used in a crime, according to law enforcement officials and a copy of the police report obtained by POLITICO.

But a curious thing happened at the time: Secret Service agents approached the owner of the store where Hunter bought the gun and asked to take the paperwork involving the sale, according to two people, one of whom has firsthand knowledge of the episode and the other was briefed by a Secret Service agent after the fact.

The gun store owner refused to supply the paperwork, suspecting that the Secret Service officers wanted to hide Hunter’s ownership of the missing gun in case it were to be involved in a crime, the two people said. The owner, Ron Palmieri, later turned over the papers to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, which oversees federal gun laws.

The Secret Service says it has no record of its agents investigating the incident, and Joe Biden, who was not under protection at the time, said through a spokesperson he has no knowledge of any Secret Service involvement.

Days later, the gun was returned by an older man who regularly rummages through the grocery’s store’s trash to collect recyclable items, according to people familiar with the situation.

The incident did not result in charges or arrests.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/25/sources-secret-service-inserted-itself-into-case-of-hunter-bidens-gun-477879
  • Baden

And if this was the Trump family, you'd be telling us this was just 'gossip'. :yawn:
  • Baden
    All the evidence about Trump being a rapist and serial sexual abuser doesn't matter because it hasn't been proven in court but someone threw Hunter's gun in the trash and some anonymous source claims the secret service tried to cover it up. Scandal!!! You are one twisted mf if you think you can get away with that level of hypocrisy on a philosophy forum.

(And fucking hell if this is the best the muckrakers can come up with re Biden, give me the job. I've got a healthy imagination and zero qualms about taking out the rich and powerful on either side. This is bloody pathetic).
  • Maw
    Imagine giving a shit about Hunter Biden
  • Baden

It's a psychological malady but it sells advertising space on Breitbart, so someone's making mint at least.
  • NOS4A2

I’m surprised you didn’t mention Russian disinfo.
  • Baden

If you're working for Putin, you probably better check your underwear, mate, because this ain't up to scratch.
  • ssu
    Ok,

Seeing that the excitement of having the new administration has worn off.

That took, uh... two months. I'll think the anti-Trump crowd will be on the streets demonstrating against this administration in two months or so. For some reason that is bound to happen. (Of course the protests in places like Portland never stopped, but who in the media cares about that.)

In spring it's warmer and nicer to protest.
  • RussellA
    I'm surprised that no-one has been interested enough in this thread to add a comment in more than 11 weeks.
  • Benkei
    Apart from surprise, what do you think was worthwhile to mention in the past 11 weeks?
  • Streetlight
    The fact that yall made Juneteenth a public holiday and not your voting day tells you all you need to know about the facade of 'democracy' that exists in the States. Actual virtue signalling (conservatives don't even know how to use their own vocabulary because they have no clue how to think in terms of power dynamics).
  • RussellA

Perhaps it is a case of self-censorship, where forum members feel that they might get into trouble if
    they expressed their honest opinions on this thread.

But as Mary Midgley wrote - "Is philosophy like plumbing? I have made this comparison a number of
    times when I have wanted to stress that philosophising is not just grand and elegant and difficult, but is also needed. It is not optional".
  • Benkei
    I think for most of us it appears as a normalisation and so there's less to say that is particular to Biden. Biden rocks less boats than his predecessor.

Plenty of critique possible with respect to the US corporate-governmental apparatus but I don't think Biden plays an exceptional role in that.
  • Foghorn
    Perhaps it is a case of self-censorship, where forum members feel that they might get into trouble if they expressed their honest opinions on this thread.RussellA

Ya think?
  • frank

Yea, they want a dictatorship. I guess the left-side of American liberalism has been accepting a judiciary that was probably too strong. Gotta expect a reaction, fueled by economic erosion.

Next crisis could bring it on.
  • RussellA
    Biden rocks less boatsBenkei

Though as Harry S. Truman said at his Commencement Address at Howard University 1952 :
    "It is no service to the country to turn away from the hard problems--to ignore injustice and human suffering. It is simply not the American way of doing things. Of course, there are always a lot of people whose motto is "Don't rock the boat." They are so afraid of rocking the boat, that they stop rowing. We can never get ahead that way. We can only drift with the current and finally go over the falls into oblivion with nothing accomplished."
  • Streetlight
    May this old man rot in hell.

• Benkei
    wtf? Are they serious?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention