• _db
    Philosophy of religion is the rational inquiry into the nature of religious belief, including the ontological status of the divine.

Theology is a bit different. Theology, as I understand it, is similar to philosophy of religion, but it differs in that it already presupposes its subject matter as legitimate, i.e. the divine. It is the study of the divine (from a specific religious framework), while philosophy of religion is more about whether or not the divine even exists (as well as general, universal aspects of religious belief).

For many of us, though, the divine is either impossible to know or straight up does not exist. And, in my opinion, the arguments in favor of the existence of the divine are not at all comparable to those supporting the existence of biological systems, atoms, or planets. To be crude, we can encounter these empirical objects. The divine, not so much.

I understand that theology is not usually seen as an empirical science and as such cannot be expected to produce empirical results. However, theology still must provide substantial justification that its domain of inquiry is even legitimate. Within theology, reason and logic may be used. But the constraint theology imposes on its domain is not necessarily justified - otherwise it would be silly to be an atheist. The existence of substantial disagreement here on the existence of the divine warrants skepticism of theology by non-theologians and the common man.

My argument is that until it can be shown with reasonable certainty that the divine actually exists, theology should not be taught in public, secular universities as its own degree.

Instead, philosophy of religion should be taught, and within the philosophy of religion (and/or alternatively comparative religious studies), theological-like discussion should take place. This differs from theology, though, because the theological-like discussion takes place within the context of presuppositional skepticism.

I have no problem with theology being taught in schools of divinity or religious settings.
  • Wayfarer
    I agree theology ought not to be taught as part of the curriculum of a secular university, unless under the heading of comparative religion, history of ideas, and so forth. But theology proper ought to be taught in the framework of a religious denomination.
  • BC
    At which state universities is theology (as such) being taught? I would be very surprised to see "Theology of the Eucharist" or "The Theology of the Triune God" in the course catalog of a state-supported, or even a private secular university. Theological topics are very narrow subjects, and are primarily "vocational" classes -- like "State Codes for Load Bearing elements in High Rise Structures" would be a vocational class for an architect.

It might be quite appropriate for a state university to offer theology classes as part of a MARS program (Masters At Religious Studies) particularly in a comparative religion context. Comparing grace in Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism would require a base of theological knowledge in at least one of those religions, preferably some theological knowledge in each religion.

What wouldn't be appropriate is coupling active, religious evangelism and theology in a state-sponsored program. The professor can say that "Jesus IS salvation in Christianity" since that is a fact about Christianity. What he can't say is "Jesus IS salvation in Christianity: have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? Let us kneel in prayer for those heathens damned to hell who have not found Jesus yet."

State universities can offer classes like the King James Bible as Literature, Old Testament History, The New Testament in the Greco-Roman World, Ancient Near-East Myths, Eroticism and Family Life in Greece and Rome, Psychology of Religion, and so on. They can offer New Testament Greek, church Latin, and such pre-seminary classes.

It isn't that "training clerics" is beyond the abilities of a state university; it is more that one should be trained to be a cleric in a clerical context -- seminary. A state university can not healthfully be a seminary (these days -- probably not during the last 125 years).
  • BC
    Liberal Arts majors (Literature, Sociology, Psychology, History, Music) really should have some grounding in religious literature -- like the Bible, and some texts in Buddhism, Islam, Hindu, and so forth. Within liberal arts studies (like English literature, Arabic, Hebrew, French, Russian, etc.) students read literature which has deep roots in religion, and knowing jack shit about the relevant religion isn't going to help them understand the literature. Same goes for the social sciences and psychology. Religion (whether ancient or fresh off the half-baked counter) is a field that needs to be familiar to researchers.
  • Thorongil
    Of course not. For one thing, it would be illegal.
  • andrewk
    Theology has been taught at Oxford and Cambridge for about eight hundred years, with I think the degree being something like Bachelor of Divinity. I am not aware of its having been discontinued.

In fact: here's Cambridge's page on bachelor of divinity.

I think it would be quite interesting.
  • schopenhauer1
    Of course not. For one thing, it would be illegal.Thorongil

@darthbarracuda

Are there actually public universities that teach theology? I know ones founded originally by religious institutions do this, but not aware of state-funded schools that teach theology.
  • Wayfarer
    I would sign up in a flash to hear lectures from Prof. Pickstock
  • Terrapin Station
    My argument is that until it can be shown with reasonable certainty that the divine actually exists, theology should not be taught in public, secular universities as its own degree.darthbarracuda

if it's questionable that the subject matter of theology actually exists, what would it mean to say that it's not questionable that, say, the subject matter of the arts actually exists, or that the subject matter of economics actually exists? (Or for that matter, ethics, aesthetics, and many other things)
  • Barry Etheridge
    t differs in that it already presupposes its subject matter as legitimatedarthbarracuda

Isn't that true of all academic disciplines many of which from an external point of view may be questionable? Psychology, sociology, literature, theoretical physics and, let's face it philosophy, could all be said to be more or less exclusively self-affirming when it comes to legitimacy. The problem is that you seem to be fixating on the subject matter itself as the primary purpose and value of a degree course and ignoring the fact that its principal value is in the development of rational enquiring minds. Theology has long been known as the Queen of Sciences because it encompasses the broadest range of analytical methods applied to the widest range of subject matter. That is why it is studied by at least as many atheists and agnostics as it is by intending priests (trust me on this, it is after all my degree!) To exclude it from academic programmes on any grounds is folly.
  • Ciceronianus
    Theology has been taught at Oxford and Cambridge for about eight hundred years, with I think the degree being something like Bachelor of Divinity. I am not aware of its having been discontinued.andrewk

I suppose being a Master of Divinity would seem rather presumptuous.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.