• deletedmemberMD
    This thread is for any individuals who would like to discuss or attempt to answer the questions raised in my thread in the Pigliucci Discussions.

Assume that the main three questions and the bonus questions have been asked of you and feel free to discuss here.

First question; is the Stoic Dichotomy of control, complete? What I mean by this; is it correct to say that we only have control over some aspects and not others? I suppose what I'm noticing is that; while outcomes are for the most part out of our control, our faculties and our choices are some what a contributing factor to outcomes.

Second question; is stoicism compatible with systems theory? I have taken stoicism deep into the heart of my application of pragmatism but I'd be very curious to hear what you think about what you feel are potential shortcomings of stoicism. Is there a scenario you can think of where a stoic approach is problematic? Pros and cons of stoicism?

Third question; for those practicing stoicism who greatly recognise the need for role models but don't know where to begin in finding a role model. How should one evaluate potential role models? Maybe you could also share a small list of female Stoics you believe are good role models, other than Julia Galef?

I would like for us to focus on the above three questions in particular; however I am a prolific questioner and inquirer, so I do have others which I wanted to ask but these are completely optional and time allowing and are as follows: What does it really mean to be temperate? What is the Stoic perspective on emotion and application of emotion? What are the social and societal duties of a philosopher and an ethicist? How compatible are Stoicism and Taoist Universalism? What does a good philosopher look like? What do they believe/say/do?
    - @Mark Dennis

As an exercise in classical writings; I would also like to hear peoples own versions of their Book One meditations in the style of Marcus Aurelius. My own in the Pigliucci discussion was poor and if I didn't want to bore the Professor with my irrelevant twaddle I would have gone on further in the true spirit of thanksgiving. On a personal note this is my first American thanksgiving as a Scotsman living in the US and my first family holiday in my first family home with my life partner and Son.

Enjoy the holidays everyone even if you're not American. Know that the world has my thanks for being the challenging, interesting and fascinating place that it is, in all its diversity and history. Justice is coming. :)
  • Spirit12
    Link is broken?

How much control you think you have and how much control you know you have?

Stoicism is being average, Taoist being balanced. Is being average and being balanced same?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.