• _db
    I have only been here for a little over a day, and I am already beginning to see a difference in the formality of discussion on this board compared to the old one. I'm not necessarily complaining. But I would like to know if the formality has changed or not.
  • Michael
    Could you be more specific? Are you suggesting that it's less formal? Perhaps you've been reading the discussions in The Lounge or Feedback (i.e. off topic)? Obviously there's less formality there.
  • Agustino
    @Michael Maybe (well quite possibly) he was referring to my (as well as Marchesk's) replies in his other thread :)
  • Jamal
    One reason it's a bit less formal is the technology. The posting functionality works like Facebook comments. It's almost too easy to post, but things may settle down. Maybe it's up to us all right now to discipline ourselves a little bit; how the (ex-)PFers post in this forum is really what will influence the posting habits of newcomers.

But I would like to know if the formality has changed or not.darthbarracuda

Not sure what you're asking here.
  • _db
    No, just in general.
  • _db
    This is exactly what I am saying. Posting is easy to do. Whereas in the old PF it seemed like people took more time with their responses.
  • Jamal
    Yes, but this is about what people are used to. That a slow process involving several full page loads might force people to take their time is not a recommendation of that functionality--it is an indication that people haven't got used to the faster way of doing things.

Actually I don't think that's the whole story. I think the functionality could be improved so as to make a discussion less like a quick-fire comments thread. Personally I'd like to be able to expand the compose box to a larger "distraction-free" mode. Imagine the preview popup but with editing ability. I think I might add that to the list of feature requests.
  • Baden
    @darthbarracuda While it's true that at the moment things may be a little more informal here, we don't want to make things less convenient just to force people to be more thoughtful with their posts. I personally appreciate the fact that I don't have to do all the loading and waiting I had to do at PF. So, the real issue is not the convenience of the forum but how people deal with it, and as it's all new here, I think there has to be some leeway given for posters to adjust to the format and settle in to a slower and more restrained way of negotiating it.
  • Jamal
    Yes, I agree. It's a fallacy that inadequate technology is somehow good for that very reason. And that's why my "distraction-free mode" idea (above) could work: we're not forcing people to use it. It would be a button next to "Preview", and people would use it because it'd be a pleasure to use.
  • Wosret
    I almost never used the quote function that loaded the reply page before, I always used the quick reply box at the bottom, or internal replies, so nothing is all that different for me. I suppose that you don't have to refresh pages to see new replies.
  • Moliere
    I suppose I am casual when I feel it's appropriate, and more erudite when I feel similarly. Sometimes it's nice to "let your hair down" -- even in a serious discussion. And at other times it aids the flow of discussion to remain relatively dry and systematic.

Is that erudition? Is that not welcome?

To be fair I had a similar posting style at the old forums. At times I would have too many thoughts intertwine and I'd try to squeeze them all in through brackets, and at times I would speak more casually, and at times I'd try to remain largely academic in my speech patterns.
  • Jamal
    I suppose I am casual when I feel it's appropriate, and more erudite when I feel similarly. Sometimes it's nice to "let your hair down" -- even in a serious discussion.Moliere

Yes, I'm the same, or at least try to be. It's very welcome as far as I'm concerned.
  • bert1
    I think there is also the fact that this is a brand new forum and members are excited and want to populate it with posts to 'get it going'. Once it's got going things might become a bit more focused on philosophy. Two things I think will help in this regard:
    1) Saving drafts (I often didn't post on PF because I couldn't post fast enough and couldn't be bothered to open a text file and start a post in that. Even when I did draft a post in a text file I often never got around to posting it as it sat gathering dust on my desktop).
    2) Having a regular paper of the month to read. Great idea.

I wish I had more time to get stuck into the philosophy here.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I really agree with bert1 and Moliere and Jamalrob...

I think there is a bit of a 'honeymoon phase' as well, with the new set up.

There has been a great deal of banter regarding how the Forum functions and what features are needed. Also, one cannot forget that we have a common topic in 'old PF'. Indeed we might have a few philosophical things to say about this, but indeed it is a bit of a 'watercooler topic'. There is a 'good to see you here' and 'you too' vibe that cannot be ignored.

Oh...

... and not to forget, we know a lot about one another, so there is a bit of relaxed trust involved which makes things settle down to more casual modus.

As the novelty eases a bit and we get settled, I feel the more 'philosophical side' will take the upper hand.

At the moment the 'glad to see you here too' will hold on for a bit, which I find quite nice. ;)

Meow!

GREG
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube