• _db
    Just a suggestion.

I've found that explaining concepts to other people helps solidify the material for myself. I think it would be fun to make philosophy videos and post them on YouTube.

It might be kind of fun to anticipate new videos from other people on this forum. Sort of like publishing articles but in video format.

Also, it might help bring in more new people into the forum.
  • m-theory
    I think this is a good idea and could probably lead traffic back to TPF
  • Wayfarer
    The forum before the one that just died - the old forum that got absorbed into Ask2Know - had an excellent collection of Youtube videos on philosophy. There are many, many interviews on Youtube by Bryan Magee talking to many famous philosophers, and also a lot of other material. So just doing a bit of curation on that existing material might be a start.
  • m-theory

I did not know that...that sounds cool.
  • Wayfarer
    actually the Magee videos are very stodgy....black and white TV, men wearing ties speaking in very BBC accents. I like them but it would never draw a YouTube audience. But there are more contemporary sources, Philosophy Bytes and Jules Evans and the like.....
  • Jamal
    Though they're old-fashioned in media terms, I thought the Magee videos were wonderful. Not black and white, not all men, and not all wearing ties. Marcuse didn't wear a tie, for instance. Figures.
  • m-theory

Well I think it is a cool idea...though I must admit that I would probably not contribute and make video.

I just thought if there was a youtube channel for TPF and people were submitting vids then those that viewed those vids would have a place to discuss the content and it could increase membership.
  • Wayfarer
    Hey I agree that the Magee videos are great, I'm definitely a Magee fan. I have his Schopenhauer on all my devices.
  • Jamal
    That was an important book in my philosophical education, the one that suddenly made transcendental idealism click. It didn't detract too much from it that his characterization of the will is probably off the mark, as discussed here on the old PF.
  • Wayfarer
    I didn't care too much for S's conception of will or his notorious pessimism but I thought the 'vorstellung' was profound.
  • Jamal
    Yeah, recently I've been feeling like reading Schop again, and I never thought I'd say that. I never did read much of volume 2.
  • Wayfarer
    The first paragraph contains the gist!
  • Baden
    I like the idea. We could have a combination of collected philosophy videos plus whatever members were willing to put together themselves. Have you made any videos yet you could let us take a look at then maybe we could get the ball rolling?
  • mcdoodle
    Good idea. But there is already Philosophy Tube in this niche, and he's drawn subs of $1400 a month. Maybe we could link up. Anyone know him?
  • mcdoodle
    And I like those old Magee things too. R M Hare. A J Ayer.
  • _db
    Not officially but I've worked on some sketches.
  • m-theory
    Good idea. But there is already Philosophy Tube in this niche, and he's drawn subs of $1400 a month. Maybe we could link up. Anyone know him?mcdoodle

Maybe some one could contact them through the channel and see if they are interested.
    Might be mutually beneficial create traffic back for forth for both?
  • Baden
    OK, a couple of options so far then. If someone wants to contact Philosophy Tube, go for it and let us know what he says and/or if anyone has a vid they've made (even partially completed) PM me a link or post it here and we can consider putting it on a channel we set up ourselves. As I said, I think a presence on Youtube is a good idea and worth pursuing.
  • Hanover
    Guys, I can read between the lines. You're asking me to create a video series offering a comprehensive discussion of Hanoverian philosophy. Please, stop begging. I'll think about it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.