• S
    Well, actually, when you think about it, there's no need to. Would you want your lounge exposed in public, or would you prefer some privacy?
  • Baden

Sure, but if we called it, say, "The Marquis de Sade's Den of Iniquity", would that not lend the site a certain Je ne sais quoi?.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

I would prefer Bannotastic.

Oh I know, I got it first hand. He's trying though. At this point, I'm happy with such baby steps. Beats doing "truth" or "concepts aren't a thing" again.
  • S
    Sure, but if we called it, say, "The Marquis de Sade's Den of Iniquity", would that not lend the site a certain Je ne sais quoi?Baden

You've got my vote. Do it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I've moved the Lounge up the categories list, so you don't have to scroll after selecting categories on mobile (or on PC to see the full sidebar). Does that help?Baden

Yes, Thank you. It is a tremendous help when using a mobile.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    All 11 discussions I have greatly enjoyed starting on TPF were created in The Lounge which no longer appear on the main page since all but one thread are community focused in nature. I have attempted to bring our community together through positive threads and although they are not dissecting the study of Philosophy, I would like to think at least one or two of my threads have had a positive impact on our community as a whole.

Having said that, it is what it is.
    I will just kindly ask the administrations consideration, of finding a place for the #MeToo thread, to be moved in with the other Philosophy categories. If it is possible, I would appreciate it.
  • Shawn

Don't feel like your work has gone to waste. I too am saddened by removing many enjoyable threads to the lounge. But, as you neatly said, it is what it is, and I can still carry on.

Best regards, Tiff.
  • Jamal
    I could be wrong but I don't think Tiff was talking about discussions that have been moved to the Lounge. Discussions are moved to the Lounge if that's where they fit. What's the problem?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Don't feel like your work has gone to waste. I too am saddened by removing many enjoyable threads to the lounge. But, as you neatly said, it is what it is, and I can still carry on.Posty McPostface

Yeah, it is just shitty timing because I have really come to love the members of the community here. :broken:
  • Shawn

Sorry, I meant to say placed away from the home page, as was done recently.
  • Baden

They wouldn't appear on the default front page unless they were active anyway, Tiff, and #metoo isn't. Moving it will have no effect at the moment.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I could be wrong but I don't think Tiff was talking about discussions that have been moved to the Lounge. Discussions are moved to the Lounge if that's where they fit. What's the problem?jamalrob

jamalrob, I started my discussions in The Lounge, I don't know that any one of my threads has been moved. I am just asking for the consideration of the #MeToo discussion I started to be moved out of the lounge into a Philosophical category so it can be found if ever the topic comes up again.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    They wouldn't appear on the default front page unless they were active anyway, Tiff, and #metoo isn't. Moving it will have no effect at the moment.Baden

Thank you for the consideration.
  • Baden

The only regularly active discussion of yours I know of is "Welcome to TPF". I've moved that into "About TPF", so that it can be seen on the front page as I think it's a nice morale booster and helps to give a welcoming feel to the site. As long as @jamalrob doesn't mind, it can stay there.
  • Baden

OK, I think it can find a place for it.
  • 0 thru 9
    A lot of us probably spend too much time on politics, discussions of which tend to be more contentious and less charitable than other areas. But what do you suggest we change about the site in terms of policy to deal with that (other than what we've done)?Baden

I think the word “politics” derives from Greek polis or city. But with each passing day, the word politics resembles the word polemics more and more. A purely intellectual and theoretical discussion of the current political landscape may be rare, if not impossible. And if it were possible, would it be relevant? If relevant, would it put us all to sleep?

Sure, but if we called it, say, "The Marquis de Sade's Den of Iniquity", would that not lend the site a certain Je ne sais quoi?.Baden

:sweat: Ha! Instead of bannings, there could be spankings of an interesting nature! Would @Hanover volunteer to dominate... er, moderate? :wink:

Probably if we changed the name of the lounge to "The Secret Space" or something mysterious sounding, nobody would mind its discussions not being on the front page and would rush there to partake of its enigmatic ambience. Thinking aloud here..Baden

As you probably know, there are some other forums that have a minimum number of posts required to view certain areas or threads... which are supposedly safe from search engines, and probably contains NSFW videos of spankings in Spandex.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    OK, I think it can find a place for it.Baden

Baden, I appreciate all your efforts. Thank you.
  • Baden
    Would Hanover volunteer to dominate... er, moderate? :wink:0 thru 9

*Shudder* :scream:
  • SophistiCat
    Removing the lounge from the front page is fine, I think. This way the forum appears less chatty.

Incidentally, this is just the sort of thread that belongs in the lounge (if it belongs anywhere), and not on the front page.
  • Jamal
    As long as jamalrob doesn't mind, it can stay thereBaden

:up:
  • unenlightened
    Radical improvement proposal: let's do some philosophy. :sparkle:
  • Caldwell
    He is doing wonderfully Paul. I can pass on a message to him for you or if you want, you can send him a PM here Paul and I will nudge him to check in on his messages here. :flower:ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thanks, Tiff. Yes, if you could tell him. :smile:
  • Baden

Oh, OK then. There better be some tea and scones afterwards... *grumble*
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thanks, Tiff. Yes, if you could tell him. :smile:Caldwell

Absolutely Caldwell! I will! :flower:
  • 0 thru 9
    jamalrob, I started my discussions in The Lounge, I don't know that any one of my threads has been moved. I am just asking for the consideration of the #MeToo discussion I started to be moved out of the lounge into a Philosophical category so it can be found if ever the topic comes up again.ArguingWAristotleTiff

I did a little experiment. Some might be aware of this already, but it appears that it is possible to move a thread from one category to another IF one is the thread starter. Just edit the OP, and choose a different category. I moved an old thread I started into The Lounge to see if it was possible. Maybe that is helpful now that there is a larger difference between Lounge and Philosophical threads.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I did a little experiment. Some might be aware of this already, but it appears that it is possible to move a thread from one category to another IF one is the thread starter. Just edit the OP, and choose a different category. I moved an old thread I started into The Lounge to see if it was possible. Maybe that is helpful now that there is a larger difference between Lounge and Philosophical threads0 thru 9

I appreciate your letting me know how to go about it myself, Thank you.

OK, I think it can find a place for it.Baden
    Since I was working with an administrator about the movement of the #MeToo thread and it still remains in the Lounge, I have to go with the idea that it is in where the administration believes it properly should be.
    I disagree with the decision to leave such an important topic in the Lounge but I made the request and that is the best I can do. :up:
  • Baden

Actually, there are two #Metoo threads, and the administration (me) got them mixed up. Your one is in politics and current affairs now.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.