• Noble Dust
    Slowly been learning this...devoting all my creative energy into a piece that's above my pay grade. It's a good experience.

• Shawn
    Lot's of Bach...
  • 180 Proof
    Dead Presidents (1963)
    written by Willie Dixon & sung by Little Walter

(Coincidence - on shuffleplay - or wishful thinking? ... as Iranian bombs drop on U.S. troops in Iraq tonight.)

update:

Little Red Rooster (1961)
    written by Willie Dixon & sung by Howlin' Wolf

... and for President Bonespurs

Weak Brain, Narrow Mind (1964)
    written & performed by Willie Dixon
  • RegularGuy
    SiriusXM Classic Vinyl channel
  • Noble Dust

:death: Brutal.

Just discovered this early modern guy yesterday:

• SophistiCat
    :death: Brutal.Noble Dust

The finale is a riot of excess!

Just discovered this early modern guy yesterday:Noble Dust

Interesting, never heard of him. Reminds me of Scriabin. Thanks!

whaaaaatNoble Dust

Huh, another from the Scriabin/Medtner school, and also new to me. Very nice.

"21/16! Because why the fuck not?"
  • Noble Dust
    The finale is a riot of excess!SophistiCat

I honestly never made it that far till now. Interesting. I need more listens. The first listen feels weird because it doesn't feel as existential and spiritually disturbed as the Messiaen I'm familiar with.

Reminds me of Scriabin.SophistiCat

Yes, very ornamental, like Scriabin. I find this guy less indulgent than Scriabin though. I literally stumbled upon this guy on youtube; he apparently died at 23. If anything, I'm so curious how he could potentially have been connected with the French and Russian schools at this time, and at such a young age. Considering that ideas didn't exactly move at an internet pace at the time. But the harmonic structure feels related.

Huh, another from the Scriabin/Medtner school, and also new to me. Very nice.SophistiCat

A friend of mine introduced me to Stanchinsky a few months ago, but I didn't love what he suggested. This piece, on the other hand, scratched the itch for me, and once again, I stumbled upon it on youtube randomly...

Btw, word to the wise, the Medtnaculus user on youtube has a great collection of solo piano music from this era; idk if you were familiar with the legendary Hexameron youtube page a few years ago, but Medtnaculus is sort of the heir apparent (the same person, maybe?).
  • SophistiCat
    I honestly never made it that far till now. Interesting. I need more listens. The first listen feels weird because it doesn't feel as existential and spiritually disturbed as the Messiaen I'm familiar with.Noble Dust

It's almost a throwback to The Rite of Spring, isn't it? Messiaen was an original. I am not familiar with a lot of his work, but even from what I have heard it seems that like Stravinsky, he went his own way and did not give a crap about anyone's expectations - or such petty things as "taste" and "style." He can throw in some banality straight out of a Hollywood score - and it just works!

Yes, very ornamental, like Scriabin. I find this guy less indulgent than Scriabin though. I literally stumbled upon this guy on youtube; he apparently died at 23. If anything, I'm so curious how he could potentially have been connected with the French and Russian schools at this time, and at such a young age. Considering that ideas didn't exactly move at an internet pace at the time. But the harmonic structure feels related.Noble Dust

It probably helped that Scriabin spent a lot of time in Europe, which was not unusual for a metropolitan Russian musician. He was very influential at that time, particularly back in Russia, which may not be obvious now, since he seems to have considerably diminished in stature. If Beethoven's shadow lay over the entire century, reaching all the way to Brahms and Dvorak, in the 20th century styles and influences began to fragment and succeed each other much more rapidly.

I am not such a big fan of Scriabin - I often find his music too busy for my taste. Indeed, it was more the harmonics that made me think of him.

Btw, word to the wise, the Medtnaculus user on youtube has a great collection of solo piano music from this era; idk if you were familiar with the legendary Hexameron youtube page a few years ago, but Medtnaculus is sort of the heir apparent (the same person, maybe?).Noble Dust

Thanks, I am not yet used to listening to music on Youtube, but I'll check him out.
  • Frank Apisa
    Not listening to it right at the moment, but there is a television theme that has haunted me from the very first time I heard it. Just gonna recommend it.

• Noble Dust
    he went his own way and did not give a crap about anyone's expectationsSophistiCat

I might have mentioned this, but I've slowly been studying his Modes of Limited Transposition. The name itself is so poetic, and what's at play theoretically is pretty incredible but hard to get a grasp on. I've written music by ear my entire life, but with a basic working theory knowledge; trying to delve into this has been exciting.

If Beethoven's shadow lay over the entire century, reaching all the way to Brahms and Dvorak, in the 20th century styles and influences began to fragment and succeed each other much more rapidly.SophistiCat

True, but in my mind Scriabin is a case of the "one hit wonder", in the sense that he was a star during his lifetime, and then forgotten, while the French school at the time (Debussy, Ravel, and Satie, who is especially appreciated more and more outside of the classical scene) do live on. But it is true that, with the evolution of tech, musical styles evolve much more quickly. But there are those composers who have stood out through the change.

One who hasn't, unfortunately, is Rautavaara. Maybe my Finnish blood feels the pull of the homeland, but this piece was probably the best new piece of music I discovered in 2019:

• Wheatley
    I wish I was special.

• Jamal
    I've been repeatedly listening to this short recording I made while having a beer in a cafe in a ski resort at the foot of Mount Elbrus in the mainly Muslim Russian Republic of Kabardino-Balkaria in the Caucasus mountains. I'm trying to work out what the music is. Shazam and other apps are giving me no results, and I'm not even sure what the language is. Arabic? Azerbaijani? Turkish? Karachay-Balkar or some other North Caucasian language?

Please help.

• Noble Dust

Why'd they turn the song off?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal