• bahman
    The universe is constitute of many parts. There is however one process which describes the evolution of whole since all parts are interacting with each other. This means that there should be a single consciousness if we relate consciousness to motion of parts. Instead we observe that consciousness is personal and local. How do you resolve this problem?
  • Rich
    Instead we observe that consciousness is personal and local. How do you resolve this problem?bahman

I observe consciousness pretty much everywhere interacting with no clear line of demarcation.
  • Caldwell
    There is however one process which describes the evolution of whole since all parts are interacting with each other. This means that there should be a single consciousness if we relate consciousness to motion of parts.bahman

What is this "one process", and how does "single consciousness" follow from it?
  • bahman
    I observe consciousness pretty much everywhere interacting with no clear line of demarcation.Rich

You are not claiming that your consciousness is mine? There is of course a line between me and you. You have your personal world and I have mine. Our thoughts and feelings are different.
  • bahman
    What is this "one process", and how does "single consciousness" follow from it?Caldwell

All particle are interacting with each other and the motion of the whole is given by Schrodinger equation. That one process. Materialists claim that consciousness is the result of process in matter.
  • Rich
    You are not claiming that your consciousness is mine? There is of course a line between me and you. You have your personal world and I have mine. Our thoughts and feelings are different.bahman

There are definitely different memories which define who we are.

There are definitely different Minds to access these memories (consider them all sharing the same holographic memory fabric. This also differentiates.

Now comes the tough part. The individual minds (consider them the waves) appear to also be connected as one Mind (the ocean). There doesn't seem to be a way to get away from this. So we can are individuated (via memories) but we share the same pool as one (the holographic universe). This is the way I see it.
  • bahman

What I am arguing is that there should be one mind since there is one process.
  • Rich
    What I am arguing is that there should be one mind since there is one process.bahman

in way yes, because it can be considered all one process. But consider this. You observe a football team acting out a play in unison or an orchestra creating a sound in unison, are these examples of one process and one mind? in a way yes, because one cannot find a clear line of demarcation between the individual and the whole. But we cannot ignore the contributions of each mind exerting individual will. They blend, just like the cells in the body. It is a blended monism.
  • bahman
    in way yes, because it can be considered all one process. But consider this. You observe a football team acting out a play in unison or an orchestra creating a sound in unison, are these examples of one process and one mind?Rich

No, unless you claim that there is a consciousness related to unison.
  • Rich
    So the question is whether the ocean is made of waves or very the waves create the ocean? I see no difference.
  • bahman

No. The first question is whether ocean has consciousness and if not why? The second question is why there is not only one consciousness when there is one process? Everything is related to each other.
  • Rich
    No. The first question is whether ocean has consciousness and if not why? The second question is why there is not only one consciousness when there is one process? Everything is related to each other.bahman

If you try to create lines of demarcation between the ocean and the waves, you will be frustrated. Oceans and waves are continuous?
  • bahman
    If you try to create lines of demarcation between the ocean and the waves, you will be frustrated. Oceans and waves are continuous?Rich

There is no wave if there is no line of demarcation.
  • Rich
    Look at an ocean and then try to find a line of demarcation between the ocean and the waves.
  • bahman

I would say that there is only ocean. Waves just give ocean a form.
  • Rich
    If you say there are no waves you are missing a lot. I believe most people will see waves.
  • bahman
    If you say there are no waves you are missing a lot. I believe most people will see waves.Rich

Waves are just formation of the ocean.
  • Rich
    That you are observing something that you are not accounting for means you are missing something. A good metaphysics accounts for everything, no Illusions, no ignoring.
  • bahman
    Formation just allows consciousness to be informed. We are asking why there is just not one consciousness since there exists only one process.
  • Joshs
    If the process is one of endless self-differentiation over time then one would expect to find infinite variation of pattern and structure within cosmology, organismic forms, consciousness and culture.
  • bahman
    If the process is one of endless self-differentiation over time then one would expect to find infinite variation of pattern and structure within cosmology, organismic forms, consciousness and culture.Joshs

I don't understand your comment. Could you please elaborate?
  • Rich
    We are asking why there is just not one consciousness since there exists only one process.bahman

One can look at it as one process or many. It is a matter of perspective. One can say I see many processes (the heart beating, the blood flowing, the lungs breathing, etc.), or one can say they is only one process - living. One cannot be divorced from the other and there is no reason to even try.
  • Rich
    If the process is one of endless self-differentiation over time then one would expect to find infinite variation of pattern and structure within cosmology, organismic forms, consciousness and culture.Joshs

Which is what we perceive. Just an endless series of forms being created in the universe. Some forms having more persistence because of habitual learning.
  • bahman
    One can look at it as one process or many. It is a matter of perspective. One can say I see many processes (the heart beating, the blood flowing, the lungs breathing, etc.), or one can say they is only one process - living. One cannot be divorced from the other and there is no reason to even try.Rich

Could we agree that everything is interacting with each other?
  • Rich
    Could we agree that everything is interacting with each other?bahman

Absolutely. It's defining precisely what those interactions are that create an ontology.
  • bahman

Therefore there is one process and one consciousness if we believe that consciousness is the result of process.
  • Rich
    if we believe that consciousness is the result of process.bahman

I believe it is the other way around.
  • bahman

So you are a dualist?
  • Rich
    No. Mind in movement creates.
  • bahman
    What is mind?
  • Rich
    What is mind?bahman

Simply put, it is that which is creating. Another way to understand it, it is that which is peering through the eyes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.