• frank
    All prayers are delusional by their very nature.Michael

Sometimes prayer is effective though. It focuses the will.
  • praxis
    Sometimes prayer is effective though. It focuses the will.frank

The will to effectively dismantle democracy?
  • frank
    The will to effectively dismantle democracy?praxis

Sure.
  • jorndoe
    Donald Trump Finally Admits Defeat: 'I Didn't Win the Election' (Newsweek; Apr 5, 2022)

Took a while. Some of the Trumpists stick to the conspiracy theory, though.
  • Wayfarer
    The ugly Truth: Trump’s social network in trouble as woes mount

Opportunity for some righteous schandenfreude, if such exists.

Devin Nunes, who possibly aced the field as the most obnoxious of Trump's congressional boosters, abandoned his political career to leap aboard this sinking ship.
  • Benkei
    Sure, let's celebrate the huge barrier to entry to start new social media. :sad:
  • Wayfarer
    Just goes to show that Trump couldn't start a piss-up in a brewery.
  • praxis
    This story is everywhere except, oddly enough :razz: , outlets like Fox News and Breitbart.

'We control them all': Donald Trump Jr. texted Meadows ideas for overturning 2020 election before it was called
  • NOS4A2
    Another Trump-era hoax collapses. Do you remember falling for this one?

Gretchen Whitmer: Michigan governor kidnap plot case collapses

What’s next?
  • Fooloso4
    What’s next?NOS4A2

I don't know. Maybe for once [you] actually reading what you link to?
  • ssu
    Donald Trump Finally Admits Defeat: 'I Didn't Win the Election' (Newsweek; Apr 5, 2022)

Took a while. Some of the Trumpists stick to the conspiracy theory, though.
    jorndoe
    Newsweek has to be fake news.

Or then Trump is losing it.

Or then finally, finally this thread will come to it's end (I guess after reaching 600 pages). :pray:

(of commenting on it is a bit illogical then and counterproductive, I admit)

:up:
  • ssu
    At least this story has a happy ending. 2 billion dollars for Jared's fund.

Draining the swamp, as Trump said.

I think a bit more than the Hunter Biden thing, but anyway...business as usual in Washington. Perhaps this time only a bit more excessive.

• Benkei
    The sarcasm of the presentator is incredibly annoying. Just report the facts. The only fact in there is how the Saudi advisory board was overruled by MBS. The rest is just... cringe worthy.
  • Streetlight
    MSNBC exists to make liberals feel better about being just as awful except they get to be smug about it because the other guys aren't so sotto voce about their awfulness.
  • ssu
    Lol.

Well, it's MSNBC, the liberal version of Fox News.

Applying the same techniques like Fox, Russia Today etc. You just have to use your internal "cut bias" fader.
  • 180 Proof
    DJT will be stricken from some key state ballots due to provisions in US 14th Amendment, Sec. 3 because of the findings of J6 Committee and subsequent state & federal indictments, so the fat old orange fascist fuck won't be able to run again in '24 (though he'll still be a player / spoiler of some sort.)180 Proof
  • jorndoe
    "FBI diddit" :D

Who did Ray Epps work for? (Oct 25, 2021)
  • frank
    Tucker Carlson.
  • 180 Proof
    :lol: :rofl: :100: :clap:
  • unenlightened
    "FBI diddit"jorndoe

The trouble is, with the loss of political probity, no one is believable, which means that anything is believable. In the UK we have the scandal of police officers under cover getting married and having children to infiltrate animal rights groups and acting as agents provocateur - there's reason for suspicion whenever there is a term which does not exist in English, because we would never stoop so low, would we?. So you cannot trust even your spouse and parent of your children.

We have replaced the biggest dick competition with the biggest pile of horseshit competition - Trump wins there, and Boris the parody Churchill wins here. Alas, there can be no democracy without truth.
  • Wayfarer
    Here is a google search of Republican Fascism USA. The articles it returns make for sobering reading.

What is fascism, on its most fundamental level? An assault on reality, time, facts and truth. — Salon

All amply illustrated by Trump and his coterie.

I believe that a descent into fascism, the suspension of the Constitution and the democratic process by the lunatic right of the Trump party is a possibility. It's not a certainty, but the fact that it has so many supporters, and the enthusiastic support of the Murdoch press, certainly make it a threat.
  • creativesoul

Until the all the parties guilty of seditious conspiracy against The United States of America are charged and punished to the fullest extent of the law, that threat has no reason to diminish.
  • creativesoul

Not to mention committing fraud against the American people. This is unprecedented. Nearly two hundred active elected officials in congress have partaken in conspiring to commit fraud against the American people. The big lie.
  • creativesoul
    Just realized, that that number is not right, but there are many many of them... unfortunately.
  • Wayfarer
    Until the all the parties guilty of seditious conspiracy against The United States of America are charged and punished to the fullest extent of the law, that threat has no reason to diminish.creativesoul

I agree with you. I can't understand why all of the many legal proceedings against Trump, and the findings of the January 6 Commission, haven't yet lead to serious charges against him and his cronies. I can't accept that this is because he has not committed crimes, only that he has mobilised the power of the mass media as an effective weapon against due process.

But of all the crimes Trump has committed, his continued refusal to acknowledge the falsehood of his claims about the last election has to be the greatest. In fact, I can't see how anyone who does that, could be allowed to run for an elected office. It would be like letting a player compete in a chess or tennis tournament, when they repeatedly insist that the rules don't apply to them and the umpire has no authority. Accepting his loss in the last election ought to be an ironclad requirement for any possibility of participation in the next (not that I think he'll actually run in 2024).
  • Streetlight
    Any time people think the problem with Trump is a problem of "disinformation", it's worth remembering those people are contributors to that problem:

“Disinformation” was the liberal Establishment’s traumatic reaction to the psychic wound of 2016. It provided an answer that evaded the question altogether, protecting them from the agony of self-reflection. It wasn’t that the country was riven by profound antinomies and resentments born of material realities that would need to be navigated by new kinds of politics. No, the problem was that large swaths of the country had been duped, brainwashed by nefarious forces both foreign and domestic. And if only the best minds, the most credentialed experts, could be given new authority to regulate the flow of “fake news,” the scales would fall from the eyes of the people and they would re-embrace the old order they had been tricked into despising. This fantasy turned a political problem into a scientific one. The rise of Trump called not for new politics but new technocrats.

Like other pathological reactions to trauma, the disinformation neurosis tended to re-create the conditions that produced the affliction in the first place. (Freud called this “repetition compulsion.”) By doubling down on elite technocracy — and condescension toward the uneducated rubes suffering from false consciousness — liberals have tended to exacerbate the sources of populist hostility.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/05/the-liberal-obsession-with-disinformation-is-not-helping.html
  • jgill
    But of all the crimes Trump has committed, his continued refusal to acknowledge the falsehood of his claims about the last election has to be the greatest.Wayfarer

Holding an irrational belief is not a crime itself, but could encourage a crime.
  • Wayfarer
    I wouldn't give a toss if Trump merely held irrational beliefs. It's the fact that he disseminates them throughout American society and enlists others in their defense that is obnoxious, and also corrosive to democracy and civil discourse.

liberals have tended to exacerbate the sources of populist hostility.

Sure they have. Nobody in the current American political establishment is blameless - well, nobody who makes any news - but some are surely more culpable than others.
  • Agent Smith
    I'll be back. — Donald Trump

• Agent Smith
    Trump is a symptom! Doctors do treat symptoms (duh!) but they prefer to treat the disease.

:snicker:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.