• 180 Proof
    Addendum ...

On January 19, 2021, the last full day of TR45H's MAGA-junta, c400,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 infection (or related-illnesses) since February 2, 2020. By comparison to published data for seasonal flu casualties in the US, c359,000 Americans have died from influenza during the period of 2010-2020. Any claim that COVID-19 is not deadlier – which it is, at least, 10 times deadlier – than seasonal influenza is either (willfully) ignorant or (ideologically / demogogically) disingenuous. I suspect a strong, criminal case can be made that, either way, TR45H's malignant negligence amounts to, at minimum, mass-murder.

:mask:
  • Wheatley
    It still will be appropriate to lock this thread at the precise time that Trump steps down.Wayfarer
    Perhaps we can move it to the lounge instead.
  • Benkei
    It's just a flu. Your data is false because the numbers are inflated. You're a fool to believe the CDC and fake news media. The WHO is bought and paid for by the Chinese and Big Pharma.
  • Michael
    The WHO is bought and paid for by the Chinese and Big Pharma.Benkei

Actually by Polydor and Interscope.
  • Kenosha Kid
    Apparently 3 in 4 Republicans approve of overturning the election results. It's not a danger: it's a reality.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Perhaps we can move it to the lounge instead.Wheatley
    That's a good idea. When he's no longer commander-in-chief he'll be impotent, and his psychosis not a significant threat. Talk about him will be idle chatter.
  • ssu
    This is probably the most important lesson that America must learn from Trump. The simple fact that after the coup attempt Republicans did not unanimously support impeaching Trump shows just how many people in this country do not really support the system that is in place anymore. It shows how ignorant people are to really believe that it would be better to have totalitarianism than the current system.

Our Democracy literally won't survive. Even if we deal with Trump in the most severe way, the next Republican will be dictator.
    Garth

This is the scary thing.

When something like 34% of Americans still support Trump after this debacle, there obviously would have been the support base for an autocoup. Those people who now stormed the Capitol do truly think that the election was stolen, Trump's propaganda machine had worked perfectly on them. The fiercest supporters do live in their alternative reality and in an real autocoup, their victory celebrations would be an essential part of the image for the coup. (It should be mentioned that naturally not all of those who voted for Trump think this way)

Hence to stage an autocoup would have been totally possible: Trump supporters would be even on this Forum repeating a line like: "There was allegations of serious fraud that could not solved before January 6th and hence the current administration continues as an interim government." It simply would be a "special case", not an overthrow of the Constitution. The unthinkable could be the new normal. And then of course those protesting the autocoup would be portrayed as the insurrectionists.
  • frank

A real coup requires military support, right? I think most coups are done by generals.

The Capitol rioters were prepared to execute Pence and congressmen deemed traitors. They weren't prepared to take over the government.
  • ssu
    A real coup requires military support, right? I think most coups are done by generals.frank
    Not actually. A military coup is different.

Do notice that an autocoup or selfcoup is still a Coup d'état.

A self-coup, or autocoup is a form of putsch or coup d'état in which a nation's leader, despite having come to power through legal means, dissolves or renders powerless the national legislature and unlawfully assumes extraordinary powers not granted under normal circumstances. Other measures taken may include annulling the nation's constitution, suspending civil courts and having the head of government assume dictatorial powers.

It is what has basically happened in Venezuela and in 1992 President Fujimori was successful in this in Peru. The US here follows a long tradition of American countries, actually.

The Capitol rioters were prepared to execute Pence and congressmen deemed traitors. They weren't prepared to take over the government.frank

Naturally they weren't taking over the government. The Government was and still is for a few hours the administration of Trump. They were urged to do what they did by the acting US President. In their view they were defending the Constitution from fraudulent elections, which Trump and his gang have been beaten the drum for a long time.

Yet thanks to the Ultimate Disaster President, things went like this. It took even less time that I suspected from Trump's supporters to go from people Trump loves and "that should now go home" to Trump condemning their action.
  • frank
    dissolves or renders powerless the national legislature and unlawfully assumes extraordinary powers

Yea, you'd need the military to accomplish that.
  • Benkei
    Unsourced but I really couldn't give a shit either way.
  • ssu

But there's the Great Trump "See you later" -ceremony at Andrews Air Force Base!

Please come with other five people! (Remember crowd size?)

EsCVdfgW8AQgDu1.jpg
  • Ciceronianus
    I like "Ceremony featuring." It has a nostalgic, charming quality to it. Reminiscent of high school athletics awards ceremonies, featuring the marching band and cheerleaders.
  • NOS4A2

What do you think of the inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth?

If it occurs through mutual contract I can respect it. If it is stolen my blood boils.

What do you think about it?
  • NOS4A2
    Still waiting on this huge uprising. The seer ssu keeps promising me more violence. Or, like everyone else, he was duped.

• LuckyR
    Twitter effectively deposed him awhile back.
  • ssu
    Still waiting on this huge uprising. The seer ssu keeps promising me more violence. Or, like everyone else, he was duped.NOS4A2
    WTF uprising you are talking? It's not a Civil War with a Bull Run at the start. The timeline I'm looking at is the first term of Biden (if he of old age makes it to 2024) and it will be more of, well, the same. Now it's the post event media frenzy, where the news will minute by minute follow if anything happens in the inauguration or before it. But just have a wider focus.

But if you ask, already just few days from the Capitol storming, another group takes the streets:

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Black Lives Matter protest in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan ended with protesters clashing with police, resulting in more than two dozen arrests and eleven officers injured.

The protesters started at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and crossed the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall Park, where they were met by a large number of officers.

Protests are going to be the norm, NOS. For various reasons. The only thing Biden can do to take control of the situation is to succeed in fighting the pandemic.
  • Michael
    McConnell: Trump 'provoked' crowd that stormed Capitol

Outgoing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday accused President Trump of provoking the violent crowd that stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

“The last time the Senate convened, we had just reclaimed the Capitol from violent criminals who tried to stop Congress from doing our duty. The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people,” McConnell said on the Senate floor, marking the first convening of the full Senate since the attack.

Surprising.
  • Kenosha Kid
    The guy should get a job at McDonald's, he flips so frequently.
  • NOS4A2
    FBI vetting Guard troops in DC amid fears of insider attack

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told The Associated Press on Sunday that officials are conscious of the potential threat, and he warned commanders to be on the lookout for any problems within their ranks as the inauguration approaches. So far, however, he and other leaders say they have seen no evidence of any threats, and officials said the vetting hadn’t flagged any issues that they were aware of.

Biden is scared of his own troops, so a fawning FBI is purging them of anyone who may have ties to militia groups. Perhaps these officials have also been duped by the conspiracy theory that the previous president would use the military to stage some sort of coup, or that there would be some sort of insurrection. In any case, a massive army exists in Washington to ease the fears of an administration duped by the media.

Now the entire capitol is on lockdown, complete with fences and razor wire. This is a far cry from what we saw in the summer, when Washington was actually on fire.

• Kenosha Kid
    a fawning FBI is purging them of anyone who may have ties to militia groupsNOS4A2

That's a good thing.
  • Ciceronianus
    If it occurs through mutual contract I can respect it. If it is stolen my blood boils.

What do you think about it?
    NOS4A2

I think of those who acquire and retain more than they could possibly need as being similar to gluttons and hoarders ("misers" may be more accurate, though, as hoarders may suffer from mental disease). I see nothing admirable about them, just as I see nothing admirable in gluttony or hoarding. Where resources are limited, those who accumulate them and retain them when they already have more than enough for their comfort and security and that of their families are merely selfish.
  • NOS4A2

I think of those who acquire and retain more than they could possibly need as being similar to gluttons and hoarders ("misers" may be more accurate, though, as hoarders may suffer from mental disease). I see nothing admirable about them, just as I see nothing admirable in gluttony or hoarding. Where resources are limited, those who accumulate them and retain them when they already have more than enough for their comfort and security and that of their families are merely selfish.

I would feel the same way if they were hoarding limited resources, but not necessarily for wealth, which is what I thought we were writing about.
  • Ciceronianus
    I would feel the same way if they were hoarding limited resources, but not necessarily for wealth, which is what I thought we were writing about.NOS4A2

What is wealth but an abundance, a profusion, of possessions and money?
  • jorndoe
    The lighter side of the darker side :D

• frank
    What is wealth but an abundance, a profusion, of possessions and money?Ciceronianus the White

The root of all evil.
  • Benkei
    Maybe that straw that broke the camel's back? Or perhaps he's thinking "job done" after all the court stuffing they managed?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.