• Count Timothy von Icarus
    Speaking of affidavits, there are three sworn ones by women who were allegedly trafficked by Jeffery Epstein who said they were abused by Donald Trump. Would those be legitimate sources for substantiating a claim or would some vetting be required?
  • ssu

Somehow I think that the US establishment doesn't want to put two Presidents, one Democrat and on Republican, under investigation in the Epstein case. Nope, in the US it's always either one or the other, not both.

Anyway, isn't the case of Stephen Ward in the Profumo quite similar to the Epstein case?
  • Wayfarer
    This is the only photograph I've seen of Trump genuinely smiling (as distinct from smirking). Maybe because he's dealing with someone who really doesn't make him feel inferior.

merlin_147124206_32cf1e04-65e9-45b5-9c68-423c2a0eaddc-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
  • Michael
    He's reminded of that time that 'Murica killed those illegal immigrant Indians.
  • NOS4A2
    Undoing the anti-Trumpist witch-hunt by pardoning Michael Flynn was expected. At least now we can put a strike through one of the most embarrassing moments in American history.

The "largest witch hunt in history," by Presidential declaration actually. It's interesting to compare to the old record holder: the Würzburg witch trials, held in Germany during the 30 Years War.

Like today, there were also over zealous politically motivated inquisitors attacking heros of the people. Among prince-bishops, Philipp Adolf von Ehrenberg of Würzburg was particularly active: in his reign of eight years (1623–31) he burnt 900 persons, including his own nephew, nineteen Catholic priests, and children of seven who were said to have had intercourse with demons.

I'm sure he would have been a Democrat btw.

Although I grow tired of the Donald Trump show in its final act. If I wanted this, I'd just watch Downfall with the orange tint turned all the way up.
  • NOS4A2

I thought it was obvious, but the term “witch hunt” has never been used in the sense of a hunt for evil witches. It was used to describe political harassment and a form of McCarthyism.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

I thought that a bunch of Democrats are supposed to be members of a satanic cabal of elites, according to QAnon. It looks to me like "witch hunt" does refer to a hunt for evil witches in some circles.

Just joking around. People act like it's the end of the world, but at least we aren't burning people for being demon spawn (yet).
  • Baden
    Another Trump lawyer nut calling for violence because they couldn't steal the election.
    liw11hg9ili39clz.png

Here's how this whole thing ends by the way.

Either:
    1) Trump does a 180 degree u-turn, shuts the fuck up, and behaves himself.
    2) Trump ends up in jail.

He has absolutely no chance of coming out on top here.
  • Baden
    At least a few Republican conservatives are starting to push back against MAGA violence and intimidation. While Trump supporters are threatening to kill and rape election officials and their families for the crime of doing their job, most top Republicans are either silent or offering tacit support. Gabriel Sterling though has had enough: "Someone is going to get shot". I don't know how more obvious it can be that Trump, his minions, and sycophants are violent fascist scum.

• Wayfarer
    Yes indeed. Was just composing this post on the very same topic.

Gabriel Sterling, a high-ranking [Republican] Georgia elections official, walked to a lectern in the State Capitol in Atlanta on Tuesday and angrily denounced the violent threats and harassment directed at people working on elections issues, urging President Trump to condemn it.

“It has to stop,” said Mr. Sterling, a Republican. “Mr. President, you have not condemned this language or these actions. This has to stop. We need you to step up, and if you’re going to take a position of leadership, show some.”
    Speaking loudly, emotionally and deliberately, Mr. Sterling said that Mr. [Georgia Sec. of State] had intruders on his personal property. He said that Mr. Raffensperger’s wife was “getting sexualized threats through her cellphone.” Mr. Sterling said he had police protection outside his own house.

He mentioned reports that Joe diGenova, a lawyer for the Trump campaign, said that Christopher Krebs — a federal cybersecurity official who was fired shortly after saying that the election was fair — should be shot.

But Mr. Sterling said that “the straw that broke the camel’s back” had to do with a contractor for a voting system company in Gwinnett County who was targeted by someone who hung a noose and said he should be “hung for treason” simply for doing a routine element of his job.
    — NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/01/us/joe-biden-trump?referringSource=articleShare#georgia-elections-official-urges-trump-to-stop-inspiring-people-to-commit-potential-acts-of-violence

Two people should be called out for special mention in regards to this disgrace - Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy, who stand by mute whilst Trump’s thugs deliberately set out to torpedo the democratic process. Let there be a reckoning, and let it be severe.
  • Baden

One positive coming out of this is that these overt and tacit supporters of MAGA terrorism can never again with any credibility complain about the "violent left". The cat's out of the bag.
  • Streetlight
    Watching these people eat themselves is my politically favourite thing right now.
  • 180 Proof
    Let there be a reckoning, and let it be severe.Wayfarer
  • Wayfarer
    well, at least some of the MAGA lunatic fringe are doing everything possible to help the Democrats win the Georgia run-offs.
  • NOS4A2
    In the lead up to his election and beyond, Trump’s opponents compared him to a litany of tyrants, from Nero to Mao to Adolph Hitler. But during a national emergency, and presented the perfect opportunity to seize absolute control, he ended up leaving public health measures to the states where they belong. Now he is criticized for not doing enough. Meanwhile, as the boys who cried wolf were busy pointing their finger, the walls of state oppression grew up all around us.

This embarrassing irony should not be understated. Vast sums of human beings throughout the world now find themselves under some version or other of state control and coercion, none of which Trump decreed. Police checkpoints, curfews, lockdowns, state cessation of the economy, mask mandates, banned gatherings, the restriction of movement—those who promised us a Trumpian fascism never once warned us that the same tyranny has found its perfect breeding ground in the nostrums of paternalistic nanny-statism.

Where are they now? Santayana reasoned that “Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.”; one might excuse their mistake had they turned their mental machinery to the unprecedented erosion of civil liberties and human rights we are now seeing. But no. From beneath the state jackboot we can still hear their cries of wolf.
  • tim wood
    “Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.”NOS4A2
    Nice quote - thank you! But what does it mean here? Who has forgotten their aim? Or perhaps like a dog who lives in a world he does not entirely comprehend, you see constraint because of an out-of-control pandemic that has sickened about 65M people and killed about 1.5M and counting - and either the vaccines work or it gets much much worse - and suppose it "fascist" oppression.

Think of it as a gunfight. Most take cover. Some, the brave, the well-equipped and trained, attempt remediation. Only the fool stands out and says it's only fireworks. And you seeming the fool.
  • praxis

You should be rather happy with the level of tyrannical nanny-statism in the US, given that there were 2,600 coronavirus deaths reported yesterday. China reported only 9 deaths yesterday.

Would you be happier if there were double or triple the number of Americans dead yesterday?
  • _db

god he's still going
  • Wayfarer
    He’ll save the worst till last. God knows what’s going to happen in January.
  • Wayfarer
    It was reported that he responded to Gabriel Sterling, the aggrieved Georgia election official, by more or less telling him to get f***ed. By Twitter, of course.
  • Wayfarer
    If the GOP had any guts, - which of course they don't - Trump would be removed from office immediately under the 25th Amendment, 'incapacity to perform duties'.
  • Benkei
    Nothing to do with guts but long term political gain. The lie the election was stolen will cause high voter turn out for Republicans for years, whereas most democratic voters will relax once Trump is gone. I predict a 4 year presidency.
  • Mr Bee
    The lie the election was stolen will cause high voter turn out for Republicans for years, whereas most democratic voters will relax once Trump is gone.Benkei

We'll see what happens in Georgia. Hopefully the GOP turnout will be dampened because they see no point in voting in a "rigged" election and this will finally be a wakeup call to Republican leadership.

Then again, my fear is that you're right and that somehow the GOP will turnout 105% of their voters in January due to the MAGA cult not being able to think logically. Humanity always has a habit of letting us down so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

I predict a 4 year presidency.Benkei

Depends on if Biden can even run by then. If not then the Democrats will most likely nominate Harris whose message is *checks notes* being the first Black, Asian American Female president. She'll probably have Buttigieg as her running mate as well, who will be the first gay VP if elected. I mean, Biden's cabinet was praised for it's diversity (despite being full of the same corporate goons) so it's very obvious that the party is all in on identity politics as their winning pitch for the foreseeable future.
    Biden will be 83 in 2024 and already shows signs of cognitive decline, so I'd say a one term Presidency seems likely. Although given that the average age of Democratic leadership is already over 80, I would not be surprised if they all refuse to let go of power and tank the party.
  • ssu
    He’ll save the worst till last. God knows what’s going to happen in January.Wayfarer
    Oh I know!!!

Trump will go around preparing for a "The Real Inauguration", the inauguration of the real President, but in the end nothing will come out of it and it will turn out to be a scam to get people to give money to fund his oncoming legal battles.

Something like that! :grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.