• Michael Ossipoff
    Marx said, “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."Bitter Crank

...and that was in 1848. So where's the change? We can't change the world. Only the few people (the "1%") who own it can change it. Of course now they're in the process of speeding up their change a bit.

So, what can we do? Stay out of the rulers' way, and quietly live out our lives as well and as safely as possible.

A famous person once said, "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's".

Michael Ossipoff
  • Yasuhiro Matsue
    Hello from Japan.
    I'm strongly interested in philosophy of well-being.
    I'm a hedonist, trying to sophisticate this oversimplified view.
    I hope I can make friends with people with similar interests.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    On Stoicism
    I am not saying what is a proper response. That is your problem given only to you as it is given to me as my problem. We all have these peculiar assignments, given to each of us. Our attempts to sort these elements out either lead to some kind of policy for ourselves or not.

The courage part is accepting those conditions and not waiting for better ones.
    Valentinus
    @Valentinus Impressive reply.
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum~
    Enjoy your stay ~
  • Valentinus

Thank you for the warm welcome.
  • leo
    "Marx said, “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."
    — Bitter Crank

...and that was in 1848. So where's the change? We can't change the world. Only the few people (the "1%") who own it can change it. Of course now they're in the process of speeding up their change a bit.
    Michael Ossipoff

What if then, the point of philosophy, was to devise a way to change it?
  • Michael Ossipoff

"Marx said, “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."
    — Bitter Crank

" ...and that was in 1848. So where's the change? We can't change the world. Only the few people (the "1%") who own it can change it. Of course now they're in the process of speeding up their change a bit. "— Michael Ossipoff

What if then, the point of philosophy, was to devise a way to change it?
    leo

What if there isn't a way to change it? I suggest that there isn't a way to change it.

But this is only one life in one of infinitely-many possibility-worlds.

What can we do then? Live out our lives as quietly and peacefully as possible while we're here, and be beneficial to others in some ways, to the extent feasible.

Life is for play ("Lila")

Michael Ossipoff
  • leo
    What if there isn't a way to change it? I suggest that there isn't a way to change it.Michael Ossipoff

But what if there is a way to change it, and that to find it we first have to believe there is?
  • Michael Ossipoff
    But what if there is a way to change it, and that to find it we first have to believe there is?leo

People have believed in it for a long time, and what has all that belief and effort culminated in?

Michael Ossipoff
  • leo
    People have believed in it for a long time, and what has all that belief and effort culminated in?Michael Ossipoff

It's easy to get discouraged when most people believe we can't change the world, and because of all the resistance you are faced with when you attempt to change it. But I believe that people are waking up more and more, and that thanks to the internet we can spread that belief to others and make it become a reality. It won't be easy, but I truly believe in a profound way that we can change it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @leo Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    We are glad you are here~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @VMF
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    Love your nickname!
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Maybe, but those things have been said for a very long time, and look where all that effort has culminated.

Michael Ossipoff
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.