• Down The Rabbit Hole
    Consciousness Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist by Christof Koch.
  • Maw
    The Pristine Culture of Capitalism by Ellen Meiksins Wood
  • Pierre-Normand
    • Helgoland, Carlo Rovelli180 Proof

Great, I was looking forward for this to come out in English! I will read it in short order.
  • Wayfarer
    After posting excerpts from it for years, I finally bought Philosophy as a Way of Life, Pierre Hadot., in hard copy. So far, exceeds expectations.

Also Nature Loves to Hide, an exposition of philosophy of physics by Shimon Malin.
  • Snakes Alive
    Benjamin Madley – An American Genocide: The United States and the California Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873
    Brendan Lindsay – Murder State: California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873
    Exterminate Them!: Written Accounts of Murder, Rape and Enslavement of Native Americans during the California Gold Rush
    Randall Milliken – A Time of Little Choice: The Disintegration of Tribal Culture in the San Fransisco Bay Area, 1769-1810
    Damon Akins – We Are the Land: A History of Native California
  • Maw
    Democracy Against Capitalism by Ellen Meiksins Wood
  • Streetlight
    This is one my favourite after Origin. The first essay is *chefs kiss*.
  • Maw
    This is one my favourite after Origins. The first essay is *chefs kiss*.StreetlightX

Yes, the first essay was excellent, read it earlier this afternoon. Did you read Pristine Culture? I didn't really enjoy it. Perhaps in part from having read How the West Came To Rule, I found it too myopic and boring.
  • Streetlight
    Yeah Pristine Culture was so-so. I liked just how sharply it drew the lines between France and England, but yeah, after the globe-trotting of HTWCTR it definately comes off as limited.
  • _db
    The Consolation of Philosophy, Boethius.
  • 180 Proof
    :yikes: Seems like overkill, but, if you're inclined, drop a brief synopsis of your impressions when you're done.
  • Pantagruel
    The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt
  • _db
    The Meaning of the City, Jacques Ellul
  • theUnexaminedMind
    Currently reading Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life.
  • _db
    It Can't Happen Here, Sinclair Lewis180 Proof

Just finished this, thanks for the recommendation. What a fantastic read.
  • Maw
    Studies On Pre-Capitalist Modes of Production edited by Andrea Zingarelli and Laura da Graca
  • Manuel
    The Nature of the Physical World by Arthur Eddington
    The Aosawa Murders by Riku Onda

I know they may not be as urgent, but I have a feeling that novels are quite important for understanding human beings. Just suggesting to folks to read one a year, if not many more...

Then again my intuition could be bs.
  • Streetlight
    One of my favs. Funnily enough, one of the things I've been getting more critical of as time goes on, even though I love it.

Tell me more.

--

I finally finished Davidson's How Revolutionary Were The Bourgeois Revolutions - an 800 page weapon and the best thing I've read all year so far. Holy shit it was good. So currently on to:

Theda Skocpol - States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia, and China
    Utsa Patnaik and Sam Moyo - The Agrarian Question in the Neoliberal Era: Primitive Accumulation and the Peasantry [PDF]
    Two articles by Neil Davidson, "What Was Neoliberalism?", and "Neoliberalism and the Far Right: A Contradictory Embrace [PDF]".
  • Maw
    Tell me more.StreetlightX

I've almost finished, it's very interesting; the first 2/3rds provide an analysis of several pre-Capitalist modes of production including the Asiatic mode, the Feudal mode, Peasant mode, Slave mode, etc. their internal dynamics and tensions, and the subsequent development, the relationship to Marxism (the Asiastic mode and Feudal mode in particular), which are transhistorically constructed by looking at specific historical formulations and comparing and contrasting case studies (e.g. the Asiastic mode as it existed in Ancient Egypt, the Peasant and Feudal mode as it develop in early/middle Iceland and Norway, the Slave mode via Rome, South America, Ancient Greece). The last third, which I started today, revolves around structural change in the modes of productions by looking at debates involving economic determinism, superstructure/base, (not unlike Wood's discussion in Democracy Against Capitalism) and the role of religion, kinship, etc. that penetrate and incorporate themselves into ideological justifications for the mode of production they inhabit. It's been interesting to ponder the role of Christianity in Feudalism vs. the role of Christianity in modern Capitalism. Last chapter, which I am very much looking forward to reading, seems to be about the value theory as it applies to late Feudalism.
  • Mikie
    The Sickness is the System
    Richard Wolff

Little (paraphrased) excerpt on workplace alternatives I think is worth sharing:

“I want to extend democracy to include the workplace because I believe it should never have been excluded from it. I find it bizarre that in a country that makes a big deal of its commitment to democracy that it never applied that so-called value to the workplace. You know, the workplace is where most adults spend most of their time. Nine to five, five out of seven days a week, in most parts of the world — the best hours of the day you’re working, many more hours you’re recuperating from it or getting ready for it. This is a very crucial part of your life — and a democratic society really doesn’t deserve the label if it excludes the workplace from the democratic commitments that it articulates.”
  • Pantagruel
    Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais
  • _db
    Two radfem classics:

Intercourse, Andrea Dworkin
    SCUM Manifesto, Valerie Solanas
  • Maw
    What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848 by historian Daniel Walker Howe
  • Leghorn
    The Education of Henry Adams, autobiography of same. Just read first three chapters tonight (1838-1854). Very eye-opening, illuminating recollection of member of one of America’s first ruling families on his upbringing in Boston, his attitude toward school, early literary influences, opinions about American culture, politics, visit to Washington to meet President Taylor, whose horse was pasturing on the White House lawn, before there was a District of Columbia, etc.
  • Manuel
    Rereading:

A Treatise Concerning Eternal and Immutable Morality by Ralph Cudworth

Reading:

Essays on the Intellectual Powers of Man by Thomas Reid
    Lady Joker Volume I by Karou Takamura
  • Pantagruel
    On Individuality and Social Forms by Georg Simmel

Arendt was excellent, albeit a dense read. More concept-driven than thesis-oriented, which suits me well.
  • Streetlight
    Charles Tilly - Coercion, Capital, and European States, A.D. 990-1992

:up:
  • Snakes Alive
    Robert Aquinas McNally – The Modoc War: A Story of Genocide at the Dawn of America's Gilded Age
    Peter Guardino – The Dead March: A History of the Mexican-American War
    William T. Vollman – The Dying Grass: A Novel of the Nez Perce War
  • _db
    Don't Be Evil: The Case Against Big Tech, Rana Foroohar
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.