• Protagoras
    Freud;
    1) new introductory lectures on psychoanalysis.
    2) totem and taboo.
    3) moses and monotheism.

With these three books one has good ammunition and a great insight into the mindset of propagandists on the left and right,religious or secular.

Freuds nephew Edward bernays made a career disseminating capitalist and consumerist propoganda by mastering the principles of his uncles work.

Counter the evil of capitalism and communism!
    Know thy enemy!
  • Protagoras
    Finished " the future of an illusion".

Boy freud is an angry atheist in this one! Reminds me of some posters here.

He admits at one point that secularism could be an illusion just like religion. Then backtracks and rants about reason being the "god" of science and the way to truth.

He's more self aware than most secularists and a clear writer but still,when under pressure retreats to the opium of science and propoganda.

"Next up, "Civilsation and its discontents" by freud,and a whole stack of freud books in the post.

Then Edward bernays with "crystallising opinion" and "Propoganda".

And Washed down with chomsky on "manufacturing consent",and the cigar is Austins "How to do things with words". About speech acts and language.

Remember words are actions and desires!
  • javi2541997
    Currently reading: Los contrabandistas vascos by Pío Baroja.

Plan to read:

Theories of ethics by Philippa Foot.
    The rain lasts eleven years by Yong-Tae Min (Poems).
    España invertebrada by Ortega y Gasset.
  • 180 Proof
    :up: Ortega y Gassett, along with Albert Camus & James Baldwin, was one my earliest intellectual influences. :death: :flower:
  • Corvus
    The rain lasts eleven years by Yong-Tae Min (Poems).javi2541997

The name sounds like Korean. A Korean poet?
  • javi2541997
    The name sounds like Korean. A Korean poet?Corvus

Exactly, it is Korean but surprisingly, this book was written in Spanish because back in the day Yong-Tae Min was a philologist teacher in Madrid.
  • javi2541997
    Ortega y Gassett, along with Albert Camus & James Baldwin, was one my earliest intellectual influences. :death:180 Proof

Agreed. Ortega y Gasset is a very special thinker. I am Spanish as him and somehow I feel the same impotences in terms of culture and the decadence of our homeland...
  • Corvus
    Exactly, it is Korean but surprisingly, this book was written in Spanish because back in the day Yong-Tae Min was a philologist teacher in Madrid.javi2541997

Wow, a Korean Philology teacher in Madrid, and wrote poetry in Spanish? Sounds interesting.
  • javi2541997
    Wow, a Korean Philology teacher in Madrid, and wrote poetry in Spanish? Sounds interesting.Corvus

He also translated Don Quixote to Korean. What an intellectual man!
  • Corvus
    He also translated Don Quixote to Korean. What an intellectual man!javi2541997

Sure. Please enjoy your readings. Thank you for sharing. :up: :pray: :smile:
  • Snakes Alive
    Soon to start reading:

Andrew Isenburg – Mining California: An Ecological History
    Louis Warren – God's Red Son: The Ghost Dance Religion and the Making of Modern America
    Robert Righter – The Battle over Hetch Hetchy: America's Most Controversial Dam and the Birth of Modern Environmentalism
    Anton Treuer – The Indian Wars: Battles, Bloodshed, and the Fight for Freedom on the American Frontier
    Kevin Starr – California: A History
  • frank
    Nietzsche's TSZ
  • Maw
    Haymarket Books 40% off
  • _db
    Death on the Installment Plan, Céline
  • Streetlight
    Hendrik Spruyt - The Sovereign State and Its Competitors: An Analysis of System Change
  • Pantagruel
    "Next up, "Civilsation and its discontents" by freud,and a whole stack of freud books in the post.Protagoras

One of my favourites.
  • Manuel
    Stubborn Fact and Creative Advance by Thomas E. Hosinski

By far the best book I've read on Whitehead, finally I can begin to make some progress here.
  • Juliet
    John Dewey - How We Think
    Iris Murdoch - The Sea, The Sea
    Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
    Maxim Gorky - Creatures That Once Were Men
    Mirra Ginsburg - The Ultimate Threshold: A Collection of the Finest in Soviet Science Fiction
  • Pantagruel
    Simmel definitely had his ups and downs, but overall very stimulating.

Next up, for a larf, Yuval Noah Harari's history and prophecy of humanity:
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
    and
    Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
  • Snakes Alive
    Soon to start reading, after the last batch is done:

John Fante – Ask the Dust
    Jack London – Martin Eden
    Frank Norris – The Octopus: A Story of California
    Josiah Royce – The Religious Aspect of Philosophy: A Critique of the Bases and Conduct of Faith
  • Maw
    Marx's Capital and Hegel's Logic: A Reexamination edited by Fred Moseley and Tony Smith
  • Manuel
    Just to comment, I bought Rovelli's Helgoland on a whim and I read it in a day, though it's not long to be fair.

What a wonderful book. I very much like his interpretation of QM and the way he thinks about all the complications associated with it, the book has very much a philosophical flavor. Not that I agree with him on all points, but highly recommend it for people interested in the topic: quite easy to read and understand. Simply great stuff.
  • Streetlight
    I actually want to read these because people ask me about them all the time and I have nothing to say lol.
  • Pantagruel
    A lot of speculative inference, but so far hangs together, and seems plausible.
  • 180 Proof
    July-August readings:

A Quantum Life, Hakeem M. Olesuyi

still reading:

• Holes and Other Superficialities, R. Casati & A.C. Varzi

re-reading:

Helgoland, Carlo Rovelli
  • Snakes Alive
    Some more stuff on the way:

Leonard Pitt – The Decline of the Californios: A Social History of the Spanish-Speaking Californians, 1846-1890
    Gregory Nokes – The Troubled Life of Peter Burnett: Oregon Pioneer and First Governor of California
    John Rollin Ridge – The Life and Adventures of Joquín Murieta
    Nathanael West – The Day of the Locust
    Neal Harlow – California Conquered: The Annexation of a Mexican Province, 1846-1850
  • Streetlight
    James C. Scott - Against The Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States
    James C. Scott - Seeing Like A State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed

@darthbarracuda I remember you reading the first - how did you find it?

:up:
  • javi2541997
    A confederacy of dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
    Essay about the Greeks by Friedrich Nietzsche.
  • _db
    Against the Grain was great, I couldn't stop reading it. I've also read part of Seeing Like A State, though that required more commitment than I was able to give at the time.
  • Streetlight
    I couldn't stop reading it.darthbarracuda

I'm just past the first chapter and it's absolutely absorbing. He writes with such momentum!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.