• Count Timothy von Icarus
    I started Taylor's "A Secular Age," but it's quite long so I'll see how long it takes me. I do find such historical treatments interesting though, and I agree with the thesis that "modernity is just sloughing off superstition and cutting away useless custom" explanations of the emergence of secularism leave much to be desired.

One of my favorite!

Is it any good? I have liked some of DBH's books, others I found a bit plodding.
  • SophistiCat
    I read The Invention of Morel earlier this year. It's great, and surprising in a way I can't reveal without spoiling the story.Jamal

Cool. I am on a Latin American streak, currently reading The Obscene Bird of Night by Jose Donoso. Will look for this next.
  • Wayfarer
    Is it (Bentley Hart's latest) any good? I have liked some of DBH's books, others I found a bit plodding.Count Timothy von Icarus

Well, to be honest, I'm finding that he's rehearsing many arguments that I've been having here, so at the moment, early stages, it's a bit ho-hum. I really do like DBH but then I also get the sense he's mainly preaching to the choir a lot of the time. But, I'll persist.

I started Taylor's "A Secular Age," but it's quite long so I'll see how long it takes me.Count Timothy von Icarus

I've also got that massive doorstop of a book. I've never read all of it. I think it's useful to dive in for some themes that he explores - like his idea of 'the buffered self'.
  • Manuel
    Cult X by Fuminori Nakamura
  • Paine
    Bleak House by Dickens.
    A return to fiction after a long hiatus.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.