• praxis
    In respect of the philosophical point, though - yes, we have to 'alter our minds', but that is because they're mis-configured. They're not running properly. Getting that straight is 'praxis',Wayfarer

Well, I do try.
  • Jamal
    So I went through a period where I consistently pushed myself past the boundaries of social discomfort. A big part of this involved eliminating self-judgment and judgment of others. With judgment removed, I felt that I could be myself - I could say and do the things I would when I was feeling a good alcohol buzz.CasKev

You've convinced me. And I must admit to being impressed. But if I'm interpreting your story correctly, alcohol for you was a risk too big to take, or continue taking. I think for many people it doesn't carry the same risk, so here I come back to my scepticism about the distinction between a real and and an artificial opening up to the world. But sure, to be authentic all the time is appealing.
  • _db
    I think anyone who devalues getting intoxicated by alcohol or some other substance might not have experienced the things that typically motivate getting intoxicated.

Is it inauthentic? Sure, but who the fuck cares? Life hurts and alcohol helps with that.
  • Jamal
    I think drinking is a form of self-medication; nothing more nor less.John

Nothing is nothing more. Even if drinking is a form of self-medication, it has its own qualities, is used in particular ways, represents particular ways of being both individual and social, and thus can be explored in many ways.
  • Janus

Sure, I used to reach profound states of self-realization and linguistic and sexual bliss when I was younger and acoholically intoxicated, especially when mixed with cannabis. If only those states lasted! Same, and even much more so, is true of LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, MDMA, Methamphetamine Opium and Heroin; I've experimented with them all. Basically it's a deadend road though, which I suppose doesn't really matter if you think life itself is deadend road.

But we can only work with what we are capable of at any given time, right; so I don't believe It's a question of authenticity vs inauthenticity at all.
  • Wayfarer
    :D

Life hurts and alcohol helps with that.darthbarracuda

You have to treat the causes, not the symptoms.
  • Agustino
    Is it inauthentic? Sure, but who the fuck cares? Life hurts and alcohol helps with that.darthbarracuda
    Weakling... :P (jk)
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.