• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Everybody is just waiting to see what the investigation brings to light.Mongrel

Meh, I am pretty sure that many "are not waiting to see what the investigation brings to light". Some have already got him tried, convicted and are only waiting for the sentencing phase.

Heaven help us if Trump actually has his rights respected of being innocent until proven guilty and that 'proof' never comes.
  • Michael
    Meh, I am pretty sure that many "are not waiting to see what the investigation brings to light". Some have already got him tried, convicted and are only waiting for the sentencing phase.

Heaven help us if Trump actually has his rights respected of being innocent until proven guilty and that 'proof' never comes.
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

The thing to remember is that the investigation into collusion is directed at the Trump campaign, and not Trump himself. It's entirely possible that there was collusion but that Trump was oblivious to it.

But, of course, Trump hasn't done himself any favours by seemingly obstructing justice. It's hard to not to see him as guilty of that given his remarks to the Russian ambassadors and Lester Holt about firing Comey.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The thing to remember is that the investigation into collusion is directed at the Trump campaign, and not Trump himself. It's entirely possible that there was collusion but that Trump was oblivious to it.Michael
    I believe that Trump could have been oblivious to any collusion going on in his campaign as well.

But, of course, Trump hasn't done himself any favours by seemingly obstructing justice. It's hard to not to see him as guilty of that given his remarks to the Russian ambassadors and Lester Holt about firing Comey.Michael

Yes but "to see him as guilty" is a far cry from evidence of obstruction or collusion.
  • Michael
    Yes but "to see him as guilty" is a far cry from evidence of obstruction or collusion.ArguingWAristotleTiff

The evidence (of obstruction) is his remarks to the Russian ambassadors and Lester Holt (and Comey's memo). My point is that it's hard not to judge him as guilty given this evidence.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The evidence (of obstruction) is his remarks to the Russian ambassadors and Lester Holt (and Comey's memo). My point is that it's hard not to judge him as guilty given this evidence.Michael
    How are Trumps remarks to the Russian ambassadors any different than when Obama was caught on a hot microphone talking to none other than the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev? It's all hustle whether it is in private or caught in the light of day.
  • Michael
    How are Trumps remarks to the Russian ambassadors any different than when Obama was caught on a hot microphone talking to none other than the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev? It's all hustle whether it is in private or caught in the light of day.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Firing the head of the FBI to hinder an investigation into you is obstruction of justice, whereas postponing (contentious, I guess) policies until after an election isn't.

But even then, you can't try to defend someone's criminal activity by pointing to someone else's criminal activity (were Obama to have obstructed justice). That's whataboutism.
  • ssu
    The thing to remember is that the investigation into collusion is directed at the Trump campaign, and not Trump himself. It's entirely possible that there was collusion but that Trump was oblivious to it.Michael
    This would be the likely way for any capable politician to wiggle out from the mess they are in. Basically just the way that Iran-Contra didn't touch Ronald Reagan.

Because the idea that Trump just By coincidence happened to pick Manafort etc, and they just happened to have this idea of getting Russia involved behind the back of Trump is foolish. Just look at all the praising that Trump has had for Putin. Just like in the Iran-Contra, of course the President/Candidate knew what was being done. But you give a fig-leaf to the President and some minor league actor takes the bullet. That's how you do it.

Unfortunately Trump himself is incapable of the most basic things like distancing himself from this mess. Nope, when the White House team had made an approach how to handle things by giving a fig-leaf to Trump in the firing of Comey with the Rosenstein letter, this idiot grandpa goes on and says in public that he decided it, that he want the Russia thing to go away. This kind idiotic responses can and do happen with Trump. So now we don't only have Comey's memo's about it, we have Trump himself saying it himself.
  • SophistiCat
    Close to 100%? I think the genuine worry is not the plight of the Crimean people but a major land grab in Europe, something we haven't seen since the end of WWII...
  • SophistiCat
    Heh, Finland has a cause for worry indeed: it was once a part of the Russian empire, and Stalin carved off a good chunk of it at the beginning of WWII. Putin just might come for seconds!
  • ssu
    Heh, Finland has a cause for worry indeed: it was once a part of the Russian empire, and Stalin carved off a good chunk of it at the beginning of WWII. Putin just might come for seconds!SophistiCat
    Oh, we survived Stalin and the Cold War alone, so this isn't anything new.

Actually, the real worry was with the Baltic States. There Putin could truly roll in hours. When the Crimean invasion happened, they were truly worried even in NATO, if the US would uphold it's pledges. It did, and now there are US troops on a rotating basis in the countries. Also, worth mentioning that they aren't afraid of the Trump administration actual NATO policy now when in power.

And this is a notable thing in the Trump Russia ties thing: the pro-Russia stance was actually something that was present only during the election and when Trump sometimes is asked about the issue, otherwise the Trump administration has followed standard US republican foreign policy.

And btw. the US forces are training also in Finland and Sweden now annually, if you didn't know. As I've said, things have changed here after the Ukrainian war. (Hence there is de facto not much if any neutrality in the Swedish and Finnish stance, other than they aren't signed members of NATO)

B-52 alongside Swedish fighters in Sweden in 2015. The B-52s practiced assisting Swedish defence by excersizing laying mines in the coastal Waters of Sweden.
    Bombers03.jpg
  • SophistiCat

ArguingWAristotleTiff

Meh, Trump should be A-ok with assuming guilt without due process. After all, he has extended an invitation to the White House to Rodrigo Duterte, a man who publicly bragged about personally executing criminal suspects.
  • Agustino
    I would comment, but if I say anything I'm afraid @Wayfarer and @mcdoodle will say that I'm paid to write it, so I'll abstain >:O >:O >:O Or shall I go ahead and let my cash register ring ding ding ding ding as the dough pours in? :-x >:O
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.