• Wayfarer
    Noticed this story in CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/space-hotel-orbital-assembly-scn/index.html

The project is now being overseen by Orbital Assembly Corporation, a space construction company....

Orbital Assembly is now aiming to launch not one but two space stations with tourist accommodation: Voyager Station, the renamed original design, is now scheduled to accommodate 400 people and to open in 2027, while new concept Pioneer Station, housing 28 people, could be operational in just three years.

This just COULD NOT be true, could it? Three years? I went and found Orbital Assembly's website, which seems to suggest that their recent share offering raised the underwhelming sum of $1,338,571.00 - which I would think would hardly pay for the nuts and bolts for the pictured 'space hotel'. Heck, a room for the night would probably cost more. And the current share price is $0.42.

So what's going on here? I mean, it's not April 1. Something highly fishy about this.
  • Agent Smith

The first is usually the worst. Laugh away therefore. It is ludicrous!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. — Laozi

Planes were called Iron Birds! You take it from here!
  • javi2541997

So what's going on here?

Speculation. Something which is so mixed with universe and space since the rich discovered the trick to explode that vast area. It is not new and we will see more projects similar to these ones.
  • Agent Smith
    To Gloomy Guses like me, this is a recipe for disaster, an accident waiting to happen, a tragedy in the making. Reminds me of The Titanic. It's a huge risk; I wonder what the insurance scheme for this space hotel looks like.

The bold never grow old;
    They die when they try!

:grin:
  • Wayfarer
    2035, I would have thought, ‘hmmm. Interesting.’ But in three years? From a startup? ‘Scheduled to open’, and with a little over 1 million in capital raised? This has to be bullshit. What interests me is how a story like this can be planted on a site like CNN.
  • Wayfarer
    Done some more digging. The suspicion only increases. The sentence I edited out in the first post was ‘The project is now being overseen by Orbital Assembly Corporation, a space construction company that cut links with Gateway.’ Yeah, right. Here’s the LinkedIn profile for the principal. https://www.linkedin.com/in/timalatorre.

So the key phrase in the story is that launch is 2025 or 2027 depending on funding. So basically that story IS an advertisement for Orbital Corporation and should have been labelled accordingly.
  • Hillary

"Our site is currently unavailable due to construction maintenancies"

Says it all...

A space hotel in 4 years? Takes even more on Earth. Gravity though, will be no problem. Apart from taking materials there. It's actually a good question. "Is this possible?"
  • Changeling
    Planes were called Iron Birds! You take it from here!Agent Smith

Quell your melodrama pls
  • Agent Smith
    Quell your melodrama plsChangeling

I can't help it.
  • Kevin Tan
    A lack of transparency into what companies are doing. Technology has been rapidly evolving ever since the industrial revolution. (At least that's my opinion) Worked in a IT-repair shop for several months. Completely astounded at the level of sophistication of our devices. It's a miracle humans CAN even repair parts that need a microscope to be detected. I guess that is 2022
  • Wayfarer
    I've also worked in computer sales and repair. I've witnessed the astounding progress of Moore's Law over the last 30 years since I first got into the technology business.

But this story does not stack up. The guy behind it is a Bay-area architect., it's not Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos. There's no substance to it, if you drill down, but he's obviously really good at getting favourable articles into the media.
  • Kevin Tan
    Thanks for fact-checking. Doing a better job than CNN then.
  • Hillary
    Completely astounded at the level of sophistication of our devices. It's a miracle humans CAN even repair parts that need a microscope to be detected. I guess that is 2022Kevin Tan

Yes. But the micro chip world is invented with a microscopic vision. Are not blueprints available? Where do you start if you would get my dead 6 year old laptop? I think my battery needs to be replaced but what if it still doesn't open it's eyes?
  • Kevin Tan
    You could go to a repair shop and ask for free advice. Some parts might not be available anymore or hard to get. Also, can you be little more specific? Not opening its eyes is hard for me to understand.
  • Hillary

The shitty thing is, I got my laptop as a gift 6 years ago. A Medion. There is quite some information on it. Then the uploader line got bitten by the dig. I put the two parts together again and kept using it. The downpart got hot sometimes. Then one morning, when I pressed the on button, nothing happened. Dead as hell. I bought a new uploader but it didn't upload. It's probably already to old to repair, but I guess it's the battery.
  • Kevin Tan
    You should take it to a shop. Any decent one will open it up free of charge. And then give you a diagnosis and possible costs. Maybe they just have to replace the battery. For a Medion, I don't know how much that is. But if it has emotional value for you, it might be worth it. That's my semi-professional advice.
  • Agent Smith
    I thought an astronaut was like a doctor or engineer - requiring many thousands of hours of training before they ever step foot in a real spaceship. This space hotel idea is like going out into the streets, picking someone at random, and asking him to do a kidney transplant! WTFery!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment