• BrianW
    A drop of water is falling (from a tap, a leaky pipe, cloud, etc, doesn't matter from where). The distance is such that it takes one second of time from release until it meets the ground. Now, suppose that this drop of water is a universe with life-sustaining spheres with such micro (from our point of view) elements and organisms whose frequency of vibration and life is such that, in that one second, everything evolves from beginning to end (from the "big bang" to the "last hush" just like our universe supposedly will).

My query becomes, is there a way for life organisms in a planet within such a universe to break free of their limitations and experience the world outside that universe (outside the drop of water)? How?
  • Terrapin Station
    This sounds more like an "I'm really high conundrum."

Just like the conundrum, the answer to it would depend on what fantasy scenario you want to make up. Again, being really high often helps for this sort of thing.
  • deletedusercb
    They would need to appeal via prayer to the enormous plumber, whom they could see through their tiny tiny telescopes, to put some soap on their drop universe so that the surface tension is broken and they can slip out.
  • T Clark
    A drop of water is falling (from a tap, a leaky pipe, cloud, etc, doesn't matter from where). The distance is such that it takes one second of time from release until it meets the ground. Now, suppose that this drop of water is a universe with life-sustaining spheres with such micro (from our point of view) elements and organisms whose frequency of vibration and life is such that, in that one second, everything evolves from beginning to end (from the "big bang" to the "last hush" just like our universe supposedly will).BrianW

To get all meta, one problem with this scenario is that the speed of light would be the same in this universe as it would be in ours. Since all interaction takes place at speeds no greater than the speed of light, there would not be enough time for even the most basic processes. They'd never get past the first second of the big bang. Although, I guess, their scientists could talk about the "Big Splash" as the beginning of their universe. Nah, I still don't think it would work.

But I guess it would be possible if we are the ones in the drop of water.
  • BC
    @FDrake & @BrianW seem to have been affected by the same energy spike bouncing around the solar system. Hopefully they will recover soon.
  • fdrake

I put math in mine so that means my rant has academic pedigree.
  • BrianW
    To get all meta, one problem with this scenario is that the speed of light would be the same in this universe as it would be in ours.T Clark

Not necessarily. Our light is just luminous energy expelled from certain interactions of form-configurations. That other universe would have theirs, too.
  • BrianW
    @BrianW seem to have been affected by the same energy spike bouncing around the solar system. Hopefully they will recover soon.Bitter Crank

I don't know what that means but I think there's something logical in that query.
  • T Clark
    Not necessarily. Our light is just luminous energy expelled from certain interactions of form-configurations. That other universe would have theirs, too.BrianW

Yeah, ok.
  • Terrapin Station
    This is the sort of thing that Zappa's cohorts were doing on Lumpy Gravy:

• BC
    My apologies. One should really not rain on other people's parades unnecessarily, spoiling the floats, filling the tubas with water, getting the horses all wet...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.