• Olivier5
    I'll go for three well written, radical metaphysical works of the 20th century:

Popper's Argument for Inderterminism is to my knowledge the only source of a workable metaphysics for modern physics. Very few philosophers have dealt with this issue, surprisingly.

Jacob's The Possible & The Actual attempts to the same for modern biology. It is short but very rich in ideas, clear, and to me, illuminating.

I would add Collingwood's Essay on Metaphysics, for its radically simple and effective way to conceptualize metaphysics.
  • I like sushi
    Pretty sure the OP didn’t stipulate ‘philosophy books’ in particular or I would have answered differently.

For ‘must reads’ I have a fairly limited span in philosophical works but I would say:

- Critique of Pure Reason, because it is a challenge to read and requires concentration and study to get to grips with, as well as being one of the most important philosophical work ever produced.

- The Republic, because it is a great insight in ancient Greece and the origins of western philosophy.

- Being and Time, because it is awful yet a completely different and evasive style of writing that offers some nice points but ultimately outlines the border between meaningless drivel and brilliance.

- Something by Nietzsche, but do not start with Thus Spake … as he, like Heidegger, introduces a different style of writing to the world of philosophy.

- Philosophical Investigations, because it tackles important issues about language and language use, as well as being an amalgam of of ideas/thoughts.

I think these five give a pretty nice map of philosophy in terms of approach and style.

I still think Critique of Pure Reason is an essential read for anyone serious about philosophy. Second in line would probably be Being and Time. Not that I am a fan of Heidegger exactly, I just think it is important to see how obtuse philosophical texts can get and where, more or less, things went a bit off the rails.
  • Banno
    , : Already mentioned
    The very hungry caterpillar.Banno

A tale of greed, of adversity, of toil, of satisfaction; of the fundamental fact that all things must pass; of overcoming oneself to achieve transformation.

Some are as great; there is none greater.
  • T Clark
    I would add Collingwood's Essay on Metaphysics, for its radically simple and effective way to conceptualize metaphysics.Olivier5

I agree. I struggled for a long time with the idea of metaphysics. I wasn't sure what it is, but I knew what I want it to be. Collingwood helped me put words to that.
  • Olivier5
    I struggled for a long time with the idea of metaphysics.T Clark

Weren't you the one who introduced this great book here? Including to me. Tx for it. It did help me get more relaxed about metaphysics, more understanding of its importance, and able to reason at that level with more ease.

Popper's piece on indeterminism is a book I read out of sheer need for survival, at 20. I was finding the general consensus around determinism suffocating and toxic, not to mention scientifically outdated and not practical. For me, reading Popper was like drinking from a fresh and pure spring after a long walk in the desert. But even Popper, while writing page after page of excellent and lucid metaphysics, was under the (false) impression that he was staying away from metaphysics. Such was the negative connotation of this word even in his prodigious, original mind.
  • T Clark
    Weren't you the one who introduced this great book here?Olivier5

It was Tim Wood who showed it to me.
  • Olivier5
    It was Tim Wood who showed it to me.T Clark

Bless be he.
  • javi2541997

Accurate list of books. Nevertheless, I think it is made for a West minded point of view. You shall not forget Asian books and culture, I think it would amaze you. I highlight what @T Clark wrote about Tao. I completely feel that is one of the most important books about thought and knowledge ever written. Give it a try.
    I also recommend you these books:
    • "The Haiku of the four seasons" by Matsuo Bashoo.
    • "The story of Genji" by Murasaki Shikibu (紫 式部)
    • "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion" by Yukio Mishima.
    • "Snow Country" by Yasunari Kawabata.
  • Jinrui no Kansatsusha
    I would also add 1984 by George Orwell, I think it would be valuable for society as a whole to read it (even though many people would choose to lie to themselves and ignore the book´s meaning...it´s only valuable for those who truly want to listen to the message).
  • Bret Bernhoft
    Here are a few books that I would recommend others read, to better appreciate the techno-optimist perspective:

• "Where Wizards Stay Up Late" - by Katie Hafner
    • "Virtually Sacred" - by Robert M Geraci
    • "The Code Book" - by Simon Singh
    • "Neuromancer* - by William Gibson
    • "American Cosmic" - by D. W. Pasulka
    • "TechGnosis" - by Erik Davis
    • "Inner Sound" - by Jonathan Weinel

Generally speaking, I expect that most readers will have a positive reaction to the content and ideas found within the books recommended above. As the techno-optimist paradigm, is a "glass half-full" worldview.
  • Lionino
    As awful as a list of Marvel movies novelisations.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.