• deusidex
    I'm a psychology student and I'm really interested in philosophy. I read (more or less) Heraclitus, Plato, Seneca, Meister Eckhart, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Kafka. These writers and books are also my favourites and I believe listing them shows my interest.

I'm mainly interested in existentialism and in Nietzsche. I heard a lot about Schopenhauer, Heidegger, Camus and Sartre but I don't want to read more about them until I read others before them so I'm kind of lost in this way in a sense that I'm not exactly sure where to begin, what to skip and what not to. Furthermore, I plan to read Saint Augustine and Montaigne because I read that they had been very influential figures in Western philosophy.

I suppose I should start by reading a book about the history of philosophy. Which books or which books of the previously mentioned writers should I read in order to follow my passion in philosophy in a way that I can understand it as well?
    Basically, I want to have a general understanding of Western philosophy with an emphasis on existentialism.
  • 180 Proof
    This link might be useful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.